New Gates at ORD

Flight Service just announced a proffer for several Italian speakers at ORD.  Don't know if these are replacement or for expansion purposes.  As far as I am concerned, you can't have too many flights to Italy. :lol:

Apparently the new gates are for E-175's and smaller, and I really wouldn't want to do FCO or MXP on a E-175...

Doesn't look to me like there's enough room to physically expand the footprint of Concourse L, but the widebody gates on the even side could be reconfigured as E-175 gates plus attaching another couple of jetways near the end of the building, so perhaps AA can net five new gates. And if they were talking about adding square footage, the construction cost estimates would be much larger than $55 million to $75 million.

They say they're adding terminal space, not reconfiguring existing gates. According to Jetnet.

Per a contact closer to this than I am, FWAAA's explanation is pretty much what's happening -- a few new bridges being hung within the existing footprint of L.

There used to be room for two or three widebodies when SN, SR, and JL were operating at T3, but there wasn't enough room to extend like what AA did with H/K or what UA did with E/F.

eolesen said:
Per a contact closer to this than I am, FWAAA's explanation is pretty much what's happening -- a few new bridges being hung within the existing footprint of L.There used to be room for two or three widebodies when SN, SR, and JL were operating at T3, but there wasn't enough room to extend like what AA did with H/K or what UA did with E/F.
Maybe so, but that theory sounds like the complete opposite of what Jetnet says. It specifically says extension to L and that it's starting this year and to finish in 2018. It can't talk that long to move/add some jetbridges, re stripe parking areas and reconfigure the gate hold areas! It's supposed to take less than 4 months to add 2 gates in LA! A year and a half seems only logical for an addition.

If they have to rehab any interior space, that could wind up taking years in the land of eternal bribery, graft and corruption known as the People's Republic of Illinois.

But....

Taking a closer look, maybe the extension is really the story. There isn't enough room to extend out towards the taxiways and still maintain adequate clearance, but it might be possible to expand out towards the north (similar to the end of H), and encroach a bit on the central utilities plant.

FWAAA wins the prize.  From Jetnet:

"Donning hard hats in Chicago
[SIZE=11pt]On Saturday we announced an agreement with the City of Chicago allowing five new gates to built at ORD Terminal 3.[/SIZE][SIZE=9pt] [/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt]The gates will be an extension of the L concourse. They will be striped to fit large regional jets and will allow us more gating flexibility for our mainline fleet throughout the rest of the terminal. Construction will begin later this year and be completed in 2018.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11pt]However, that statement about "an extension of L concourse...does that mean physical extension or an extension of the usefulness of the concourse?  As an English major, I am often appalled by the free-wheeling misuse of the English language by people in the PR department who ought to know better.[/SIZE]

Reactions: 1 person
I don't think I win; sounds like maybe a narrow T will be added at the end of the L concourse.

By my estimates, there may be 50-60 feet of space for expansion before the terminal encroaches on the service road adjacent to taxiway A.

Reactions: 1 person
eolesen said:
Apparently the new gates are for E-175's and smaller, and I really wouldn't want to do FCO or MXP on a E-175...
yes, expansion will be at the end of L gates and H6,H5,H4 and H3 will be returned to AA