Non Rev policies after merger?

I will go with whatever system we end up with, and adapt to it. I don't really travel a lot anyway, and can plan accordingly by being flexible as I have always been. This trippin dudes way of thinking is a bit absurd, as I have worked with people who started before I was born too. At the same time there were some youngsters that were born after I got hired, 3 generations so to speak all working together. That's just the way it is, and remember that not everyone took the job to day trip around the system. If someone with 30 years is going on vacation with their family, they should go ahead of you with your 4 years on a trip to nowhere. Put in your time just like we all have, and enjoy it as it comes to you.

Somebody say, "Amen!"

There wouldn't be an airline around for crazy day trippin if not for the people born more than 25 years ago who were working to keep the airline alive whilst you were lounging in the womb.

No, it's not your fault you were born 25 years ago. That blame belongs to your momma and daddy. Another reason I'm favor of free birth control and liberal use of condoms...one less whining young entitled non-rev....

Are you really that dense? Are you going to be stuck at 25 forever? If so, let us all in on your non aging secret. I was 25 once too, and on the bottom of the pile just as everyone was at one time. Lousy shift, crappy days off, no summer vac etc. Your claims of being at an unfair disadvantage because of when you were born vs someone else is just nuts. I would like to collect my SS benefits now too, but all of those darn people who were born before me are collecting it now, and there may not be any left for me when my time comes.

i am not talking about the shifts or vactaion or the starts times just the DOH or FCFS flights. I agree to have the DOH for the vacations and bidding. but it should be fair across the board for the right to have a trip. or in my case crazy day trips lol

I have seniority, 34 years. I also have a smart phone, laptop, and tablet. Got all bases covered for whatever is put into place. (the seniority wasn't mentioned to be arrogant. Just saying that I don't care which way it goes) As for commuters, sorry. You don't deserve to board before anyone else whether it's based on seniority or FCFS. Just my opinion

You may also find it interesting that if/when we vote on the boarding issue I will vote for FCFS, but about why I'm flying UA over AA in Europe, have you seen AAs European network? Its pitiful, bottom line is AA doesn't go where we need to go in Europe. We have an apt in a city where AA doesn't fly, neither does US so I will continue flying UA in the meantime. And yes UA does give us free vacation passes but what does that have to do with DOH or FCFS? I hope we get as break on our pass charges but that still does not have anything to do with boarding priority. Also even after the merger we are still smaller in Europe then UA and AA/US don't fly where we need to go. Maybe that will change but we will wait and see. I agree AA gouges us on the pass charges, but maybe that will be one of the few pluses in the merger.

You made the argument in your original posting that you prefer FCFS so that "junior people get a shot at getting on".

But then you made a second statement (AA's poor European network coverage aside) that even though your partner is "not that senior" you still make your flights on UA - a DOH airline.

In my opinion, your second statement about your (wonderful and successful!) DOH boarding experiences on UA mitigates your first statement in support of FCFS, and actually supports a conclusion that with DOH "junior people also get a shot at getting on.

That was my only point. Your two statements appear to indicate that both FCFS and DOH allow junior people a shot at getting on...your preference for FCFS duly noted.

Maybe my point got muddled by being mixed with the information about AA's poor European coverage (US flies to more European destinations out of PHL than AA does out of JFK...Oops! There I go again!), and the information about AA's egregious (nay onerous) charging of its employees up the wazoo for "non-revenue" flight benefits. (flame off...)

FCFS/DOH Statistics from
American Airline drops below 60,000 employees for the first time since 1987:

AA 59,574 employees (FTE) FCFS
WN 45,861 employess (FTE) FCFS
UA 83,383 employees (FTE) DOH
DL 72,529 emplyeees (FTE) DOH
US 30,310 employees (FTE) DOH

If I have done the calculations correctly, among the major US arlines, 64% of FTE (full-time equivalent) employees (the majority) presently enjoy DOH boarding, while just 36% enjoy FCFS.

Both systems appears to work - in union and non-union shops - and no one under DOH appears to be suffering under some alleged (not by you) unfairness due to US union loving entitlement embracing last minute listing commuting slugs making it impossible for junior ("not my fault you are as old as dirt") people to get a shot at getting on...just to make crazy day trips.

For US/AA it will be what it will eventually be, but the (present) data indicates the majority of the FTE employees of the majors fly daily (justly or unjustly) under DOH and do just fine.

I, like you, hope US/AA vastly improves its European coverage and stops relying on BA and Terminal 5 at LHR to connect pax. I also hope AA's employee travel charges are disposed of promptly. This D2T issue appears to be absolute madness, but I guess its been working at AA for years and AA'ers just love it. (Maybe it's a Pavlovian response)

God Bless US AAll and God Bless the US/AA!

I guess its a little more complicated then I thought, nothing in this business is simple. When I travel , the decision is based on which airline has open seats , which one has back ups, does the airline fly to where I want/need to go. Not does this airline board DOH or FCFS? End of story, but since I have experienced both systems, I will vote FCFS, if we are allowed to vote. That was all I was saying. Very simple. I hope we keep all of the US flts and add more. ( more non rev options) as well as more flying for all of us.

There seems to be a lot of DOH/FCFS banter going on here. Both of those boarding systems work. Either way employees have a chance to get ahead with a D1 or SA1P.

From a US standpoint the real focus ought to be the fight to keep flights FREE. The Us policy is not segment based on 5 years of service or even 25 years of service. If you are an employee you fly without having to pay* Domestic AND International*. One would only pay extra if you want to upgrade to 1st Class and thats if theres even a 1st seat available, which is rare for domestic.

*(International taxes apply and vary from departing foreign country)

Unfortunately with this new fee based non-rev policy for both carriers to share ... the likelihood the NEW American keeps its employees paying to travel is almost certain.

A little off topic for most of you on here but....has anyone heard any rumblings about whether the US voluntary furlough folks will keep their travel benefits post merger?
I can't remember if the voluntary folks have any kind of contractual rights to travel. I should think the new company wouldn't mind letting them linger; especially if the new system is FCFS and has AAs 'pay by segment' feature. More incremental revenue? Any thoughts?

There seems to be a lot of DOH/FCFS banter going on here. Both of those boarding systems work. Either way employees have a chance to get ahead with a D1 or SA1P.

From a US standpoint the real focus ought to be the fight to keep flights FREE. The Us policy is not segment based on 5 years of service or even 25 years of service. If you are an employee you fly without having to pay* Domestic AND International*. One would only pay extra if you want to upgrade to 1st Class and thats if theres even a 1st seat available, which is rare for domestic.

*(International taxes apply and vary from departing foreign country)

Unfortunately with this new fee based non-rev policy for both carriers to share ... the likelihood the NEW American keeps its employees paying to travel is almost certain.

Agreed. And don't forget AA's policy of only issuing buddy passes after 2 years of service! Really? That needs to go, too! And AA only issues 4 D1 passess per year vs US' 6 SA1P passes per year! Fully 1/3rd fewer!

IIRC UA employees (maybe not former CO) fly for free and get buddy passes immediately. DL employees fly for free (even the Ready Reservers get 30 days free flying/14 days TATL free flying). UA can even upgrade to first for free.

Let's focUS on the important stuff 'cause something definately need to chAAnge....

so what you are syaing is that i had to be born a long time a go then.... i dont kno what ur DOH is but if it is 30+ or close to it thats not fair bc i am only 25 years old. so please tell me how i could get hired when my mom and dad were in high school?
He isnt crazy, just typical of so many his age. They want what their parents and grandparents EARNED. The difference is they want it to be better and NOW! His elders didn't use credit cards as much just because they WANTED something and then got themselves in trouble. Perhaps if he spent more time learning to spell and less time day tripping, he'd be better off. :)

I have seniority, 34 years. I also have a smart phone, laptop, and tablet. Got all bases covered for whatever is put into place. (the seniority wasn't mentioned to be arrogant. Just saying that I don't care which way it goes) As for commuters, sorry. You don't deserve to board before anyone else whether it's based on seniority or FCFS. Just my opinion
I agree about commuters, but at least with a seniority based system they have a pretty good idea if they can get on or not.

So can anyone confirm the current AA non-rev polices for International travel? Is it segment based for employees under 25 years? Or is it free of taxes after 25 years? Not gathering enough information from the comments or copied charts posted in the thread thus far.
All the US folks ought to study AA's policy because it is most likely the future standard for the combined carrier and it doesn't hurt to have a head start.

A little off topic for most of you on here but....has anyone heard any rumblings about whether the US voluntary furlough folks will keep their travel benefits post merger?
I can't remember if the voluntary folks have any kind of contractual rights to travel. I should think the new company wouldn't mind letting them linger; especially if the new system is FCFS and has AAs 'pay by segment' feature. More incremental revenue? Any thoughts?

Not sure WHEN your Voluntary Furlough Expires (most are for Two Years) but you can only fly on US. You CAN NOT fly on AA right now under the reduced rate agreement, that is for Active and Retired employees only (I inquired as I am also on VF). If you qualify, you can retire under the 65 point plan. The only difference between this and regular retirement, is the Health Insurance.

Not sure WHEN your Voluntary Furlough Expires (most are for Two Years) but you can only fly on US. You CAN NOT fly on AA right now under the reduced rate agreement, that is for Active and Retired employees only (I inquired as I am also on VF). If you qualify, you can retire under the 65 point plan. The only difference between this and regular retirement, is the Health Insurance.

As someone who was involuntarily furloughed in 2003, the current AA has no travel benefits for anyone on furlough. (I think if you take a voluntary fulough (which is almost unheard of at AA), there are some limited travel benefits, but involuntary furlough, you get nada.)

Latest posts

Back