Non Rev policies after merger?

Graceson said:
How does FCFS work when a nonrev is checked in for an 8:00am flt but doesn't make the cut and is then rolled over to the 9:00am flt with employees who have listed on it 24hrs prior? Does he/she go to the top of the next flt or the bottom?

Good question...

nevergiveup said:
Maybe we should all just get one of the credit cards they so rudely sell in the cabin! 

Better hurry!  It's a limited time offer!  And remember, never before have we offered this many miles!

God, I hope that goes away.  It's embarrassing when you commute.

What about a policy similar to DL, seniority standby, but you can "book" a first come-first served jumpseat 3 days in advance? Good for commuters. Not so good for non revving families

2 things I'll wager everything on..It's going to be FCFS and retirees are no longer going to have boarding priority over active employees.  Get used to it people..I've done it both ways being from AWA and it works very good.

Another note Doug Parker in the past has been on record on US crew news video stating that her prefers FCFS and if he was starting a new company from the beginning that is what he would implement. 

Graceson said:
How does FCFS work when a nonrev is checked in for an 8:00am flt but doesn't make the cut and is then rolled over to the 9:00am flt with employees who have listed on it 24hrs prior? Does he/she go to the top of the next flt or the bottom?
On AA when the 8:00am nov-rev is rolled over to the 9:00a flight he/she goes ahead of all the employees that listed on the 9:00a flight and checked in 24hrs prior. The 8:00am non-rev goes to the top of the 9:00a flight.

Crash Pad DCA said:
On AA when the 8:00am nov-rev is rolled over to the 9:00a flight he/she goes ahead of all the employees that listed on the 9:00a flight and checked in 24hrs prior. The 8:00am non-rev goes to the top of the 9:00a flight.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong...but the 8am non-rev moves to the 9am list with his/her check in time.  So, if s/he checked in for the 8am flight at a later time than the 9am traveler checked in...the 8am traveler would be behind that the 9am traveler on the list.

Black Magic said:
...and retirees are no longer going to have boarding priority over active employees.  
They don't now.  It's the other way around.  At premerger US they had the same priority, as they do at AA now AFAIK.

As for the DOH vs FCFS, I prefer the former --- find it more predictable and fairer.  As for the "a 30 yr employee suddenly jumps on and bumps you" scenario, it really does not happen in my experience.  I can't remember ever having seen it.

Dont call me Shirley said:
They don't now.  It's the other way around.  At premerger US they had the same priority, as they do at AA now AFAIK.

As for the DOH vs FCFS, I prefer the former --- find it more predictable and fairer.  As for the "a 30 yr employee suddenly jumps on and bumps you" scenario, it really does not happen in my experience.  I can't remember ever having seen it.
Good pros/cons either side of the DOH--FCFS fence. Compromise... DOH with a 24hour cutoff. This gives crews flexibility to scope the loads and preplan the commute for timely check in with future scheduling. On any given day I'd guess most non-revs are commuting to/from work.

Black Magic said:
2 things I'll wager everything on..It's going to be FCFS and retirees are no longer going to have boarding priority over active employees.  Get used to it people..I've done it both ways being from AWA and it works very good.

Another note Doug Parker in the past has been on record on US crew news video stating that her prefers FCFS and if he was starting a new company from the beginning that is what he would implement. 
He quickly changed management parking at HDQ into First Come, First Served from old management's "Seniority-based reserved parking," so I'd bet that non-rev priority will be FCFS.    

1AA said:
The computer logs you in, you pull out a boarding pass. You can use your PDA or laptop and look at the standby list after you put list yourself on a flight. the only way someone jumps in front of you is they have a higher classification of travel. This system works fine and it has been in place longer than I have been with AA. Almost thirty years.
All information is timestamped. Nobody is going to cheat you out of a seat unless the gate agent bypasses you on the list and that can happen no matter which method you use to list yourself.

A seniority date stands for more than just non rev flying. LAY OFFS is the biggest reason to have a seniority date. Pay is another. I think those two are more important than non rev travel privileges. the AA system is not new. AWA had it and I am sure other airlines use it as well. Then again we can keep posting our opinions all day but the final decision may not be ours to make.

Thirty years?  You were using a PDA or laptop thirty years ago?

nevergiveup said:
Some resorts require 3 days notice to cancel. In that situation, it would be better to know more than 24 hrs out where you stand on a list.

Purchase a ticket in that case.

I can't believe folks non-rev last minute to cruises, weddings, resorts with 3-day cancellation rules.

When I am unfortunately enough to be standing within range of paying passengers who are ranting about missing the "million dollar meeting" because the airplane broke, I calmly tell them that with anything that important, you shoud have been in a hotel there the night before.

We bought our full fare tickets to Madrid for next month.  It is a good thing, the flight is full.  How does anyone non-rev?  How can you make hotel reservations and day trip plans if you don't know for sure you are getting there?  If you make the reservation early enough, you actually get to pick your seats. 

We bought our full fare tickets to Madrid for next month.  It is a good thing, the flight is full.  How does anyone non-rev?  How can you make hotel reservations and day trip plans if you don't know for sure you are getting there?  If you make the reservation early enough, you actually get to pick your seats.
You are a smart man Auto! Nothing worse than being on vacation and worrying about your return flights. I only get one real vacation a year with my family, and I sure as heck don't want to be checking "non rev" listings while I enjoy my family and surroundings. RR

AdAstraPerAspera said:
What about a policy similar to DL, seniority standby, but you can "book" a first come-first served jumpseat 3 days in advance? Good for commuters. Not so good for non revving families

US cockpit jumpseat is reserved withing 7 days before on a FCFS basis with a primary (first caller) and secondary.  On all but the E190, getting the secondary is fine since the rest of the fleet has two jumpseats.  Works pretty well because you can see if you need to make other arrangements.  Downside is that jumpseat riders often don't, or can't, cancel their reservation in a timely manner.  Other airline pilots it's FCFS at the gate, not DOH, but priority given to wholly-owned, then affiiated express, then everybody else.

It has worked really well for over 30 years.

Reed Richards said:
You are a smart man Auto! Nothing worse than being on vacation and worrying about your return flights. I only get one real vacation a year with my family, and I sure as heck don't want to be checking "non rev" listings while I enjoy my family and surroundings. RR

Exactly.  The high price of cheap.

Back