Non Rev policies after merger?

nycbusdriver said:
US cockpit jumpseat is reserved withing 7 days before on a FCFS basis with a primary (first caller) and secondary.  On all but the E190, getting the secondary is fine since the rest of the fleet has two jumpseats.  Works pretty well because you can see if you need to make other arrangements.  Downside is that jumpseat riders often don't, or can't, cancel their reservation in a timely manner.  Other airline pilots it's FCFS at the gate, not DOH, but priority given to wholly-owned, then affiiated express, then everybody else.

It has worked really well for over 30 years.
Just to add, you also roll the dice if you commute on a 757. Only a few of them have 2 jumpseats.

nycbusdriver said:

Thirty years?  You were using a PDA or laptop thirty years ago?
ICOT sets. Remember them?
Sabre has been around before I hired in.
I like your your sense of humor though. :D

If every non-rev listed checks-in 24 hr before departure who gets on the list first ?
[/quote

Who ever has the fastest fingers and computer it seems. I've hit the enter button a few seconds before check in time and was still #15 on the standby list.

I could be wrong, but I thought there was a successful grievance won by the flight attendant group establishing travel by seniority contractual to their agreement.

My gut says Doug will make it DOH....
He also will make it a lower category for retired... He stated in the past that's the best way because retired don't HAVE to be there, like back at work like active do

flyer63 said:
My gut says Doug will make it DOH....
.. He stated in the past that's the best way because retired don't HAVE to be there, like back at work like active do
Just because someone is retired from US does not mean that he/she is retired from someplace else.

Dont call me Shirley said:
Just because someone is retired from US does not mean that he/she is retired from someplace else.
If you are working 'someplace else' you should be spending $$ buying tickets, not using non-rev privleges.

Dont call me Shirley said:
Why should the company care if you make it to work someplace else on time? They only use this protocol because it works for them.

Graceson said:
How does FCFS work when a nonrev is checked in for an 8:00am flt but doesn't make the cut and is then rolled over to the 9:00am flt with employees who have listed on it 24hrs prior? Does he/she go to the top of the next flt or the bottom?
the ones on the 8am flt go to the top of the list on the 9am flt. if all the flts are full it is one way of getting an advantage on the list. but you have to be there to get rolled over. if your not there you will not be rolled over. when the list is ridiculously long, say 20 or 30 people sometimes the agents just roll everybody over. if your a commuter at your home city trying to game the system most likely one of the other commuters will let the agent know. if your not there you will be deleted from the list.

nycbusdriver said:

I don't recall ever having heard of ICOT sets.  But I bet your explanation will be both interesting and enlightening????
I assumed you worked for AA. ICOT's were the first computers we had at AA. Simple brown monitor with green text. It was SABRE.

1AA said:
I assumed you worked for AA. ICOT's were the first computers we had at AA. Simple brown monitor with green text. It was SABRE.

Thanks.  We had those, too.  Never heard that term before, though.  In fact, we still have them for crew scheduling on the east, except the monitors have graduated to monchrome B&W, instead of green.  It's a text-based system as old as Methuselah.  The last big "improvement" was the addition of "Shout Mail," probably 25 years ago.  Still no LCD monitors, though.  The company is convinced we would have stolen all of them long ago.

autofixer said:
We bought our full fare tickets to Madrid for next month.  It is a good thing, the flight is full.  How does anyone non-rev?  How can you make hotel reservations and day trip plans if you don't know for sure you are getting there?  If you make the reservation early enough, you actually get to pick your seats.
1AA said:
ICOT sets. Remember them?
Sabre has been around before I hired in.
I like your your sense of humor though. :D
I fly from the spoke city to the hub where the international flight is leaving from and then pull out the netbook and book a hotel from a list I made a day or two earlier when we have boarding passes. Out of around ten trips across the pond, only one flight to MUC had four passengers walk up the last minute and took 4 of the 5 empty seats so I cancelled the room and caught the next flight home.
The non-rev perk is a great one and I have gone to places I never could have afforded to go.
One time I went to work having two options, MUC or VCE. VCE had the most seats so later that day we flew to PHL and had a great time in Venice. If you are flexible and don't travel during peak days and seasons, its a great way to see the world, Rome and Lisbon are our favorites.

Back