NWA Pilot Strike?

Really, you know the name of the company. Did you read In the Loop? It covered everything I said.

Nope. Just years of union work and knowing who to talk to, like my council rep on a weekly basis via emails if not in person.

p.s. there's a special MEC meeting going on as I type this.

NWA MGT reminds me of a playground BULLY. That Bully (i.e. Doug) will continue to ask for that milk money day after day regardless of how many times you empty your pockets. If NEWCO goes through...mgt will have started a new trend. What will be next? Perhaps, outsourcing NWA-CARGO flying to B747 operators such as Atlas, Polar, Kalitta or any over-seas operator willing to 'fly it' for less? Trust me, if they succeed at NEWCO, plans will be made for another round of fleet outsourcing. I believe ALPA knows this and will continue to stand strong on this issue.

I highly doubt PTO understand both. He is such a union hater, he belongs with the rest of the butcherers in the NWA top mgmt team

It's all saber rattling.

Look around the industry, every pilot group has talked tough,but then given management what they wanted. Delta pilots were the latest to talk strike, yet they too surrendered the wallet for the second time in as many years.

Sad state of affairs.

The rEAL pilots were the last ones to draw a line in the sand.

You are comparing apples to oranges. The NW pilot group has had historically bad relations with its management. It has a history of striking to show for it. The pilot group at DL is docile, and perhaps one of the biggest "cool aid" drinking unions in the industry. IMO, the NW pilots will follow through with a strike if their contract is thrown out. The question then becomes, will the NMB threaten to prolong any ability to strike like they did with the DL pilots.

You are comparing apples to oranges. The NW pilot group has had historically bad relations with its management. It has a history of striking to show for it. The pilot group at DL is docile, and perhaps one of the biggest "cool aid" drinking unions in the industry. IMO, the NW pilots will follow through with a strike if their contract is thrown out. The question then becomes, will the NMB threaten to prolong any ability to strike like they did with the DL pilots.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

NMB, perhaps.

But NW could'nt withstand a GIANT dose of "Work to Rule" by their Flight crews !!!!!!!!

Bottom line, "HIGH NOON at the OK corral" is fast approaching.

NH/BB's

Here is the entire story:

NWA plans low-cost airline

New company would fly smaller jets to smaller markets; pilots threaten to strike bankrupt carrier.

The Detroit News

January 5, 2006

Northwest Airlines is expected to detail plans today to launch a low-cost carrier in 2007 equipped with 70- to 100-seat jets and staffed by pilots and flights attendants paid at reduced wage scales.

The new airline would fly mainly out of Northwest's major hubs in Detroit, Minneapolis and Memphis to small and medium-sized markets across the United States and Canada, according to a newsletter that will be distributed today to Northwest's 34,000 employees.

Unlike Delta Air Line's Song and United Airline's Ted, which were created as low-cost airlines within an airline, Northwest's new carrier would be a separate company.

Unfettered by Northwest's Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings, the new airline would seek to finance the purchase or lease of 105 new aircraft. But Northwest could face significant hurdles in launching the new carrier, including a threatened strike by the union that represents its pilots.

Northwest, which is losing money and struggling to compete with discount airlines, said the new airline would allow it to efficiently fly to hundreds of destinations. The airline said it can no longer afford to use large jets -- often half empty -- or small regional jets on many routes. The new airline could open up new destinations for travelers in Detroit and other cities.

Northwest hopes to start the airline -- temporarily called NewCo -- next year, with all 105 planes operating by 2010. The airline said it may hold a contest to come up with a permanent name.

"We have an immediate need for aircraft of this size," Doug Steenland, CEO of Northwest, said in the newsletter. "Northwest has more of these small-to-medium-sized markets than any other airline, yet we rely on a fleet that is either too large or small to maximize revenues and profitability in such cities. To operate at a profit, we must invest in these aircraft and we must do so quickly."

Northwest said the new airline has the potential to serve hundreds of destinations across the United States and Canada, but no route schedules have been determined.

Executives said the new airline would not typically compete head-to-head against discount airlines like Spirit Airlines, AirTran or Jet Blue Airways but mostly against legacy carriers that operate on similar routes.

"Establishing a NewCo subsidiary to operate a fleet of new regional jets will generate new economic value for Northwest, lower costs, increase our load factors and provide new work opportunities for our employees," Steenland said.

With Northwest in bankruptcy, Steenland said the airline needed a stand-alone carrier able to borrow money to purchase or lease new aircraft. That would free up Northwest's credit to purchase large aircraft for its fleet.

The new carrier plans to purchase or lease about 60 70-seater and 45 100-seater aircraft. Northwest is looking at the Embraer 170/190 and the Bombardier CRJ700/900 models.

According to the newsletter, Northwest competitors are already using these new jets to fly some of Northwest's key domestic routes at significantly lower cost.

The new carrier would become a Northwest regional Airlink partner with Mesaba Airlines and Pinnacle Airlines, which operate 34- to 50-seat regional aircraft. It would take over some routes that require more capacity than the regional jets offer but less than the large jets in Northwest's fleet. Northwest said a good example would be the route between Detroit and El Paso, Texas.

The airline will seek approval to launch the carrier from its labor unions. It will also seek approval from the judge in U.S. Bankruptcy Court in New York handling the airline's Chapter 11 case.

If that happens, the pilots union said it would strike Northwest.

"Instead of trying to run away from the employees and having something crammed down our throats by the courts, they should be bargaining with us and doing something that makes sense," said Capt. Mark McClain, chairman of Northwest's pilots union. "We want to do that flying.

"If their view is to let the courts vacate our contract and impose this type of structure, we maintain we have a right to strike. We're making preparations for that now."

The new airline will need 800 pilots. Some of the new hires could be laid-off Northwest pilots. Northwest could also hire furloughed flight attendants or mechanics.

McClain said the union has offered to fly for the new airline if pilots receive the average salary paid by other regional carriers that fly 70- to 100-seat planes.

Airline analyst Michael Boyd of Evergreen, Colo., said a new airline makes sense financially. He expects Northwest and the pilots will reach a settlement.

"I don't think the pilots will strike," Boyd said. "They will find something in the middle. Neither side will get everything they want."

Boyd said that Northwest knows it will significantly lower its costs to get these new aircraft over the DC9s, so they don't want to give them up.

"Looking through the haze of battle," Boyd said, "Northwest is the carrier I'm least worried about. It will all work out."

It starting to look alot like Eastern over at Northwest??? Could the Pilots and Flight Attendants shut the airline down? I think so! You can't just hire SCAB Pilots off the street and stick them in the flight deck. It was easier for NWA to hire SCAB Mechanics, like (PTO) and others because of their certifications and training.

You mean you don't know this 'Cods? I think you might find out what it is very soon. :blink: :blink: :blink:
This is not a "union" message board, so it would be very helpful to the rest of us if you shared the literal meaning of the cute little codes you guys use. Obviously it eludes to some sort of work slowdown tactic, but I always thought that was referred to CHAOS? (create havoc accross our system).

Latest posts

Back