NWA Pilot Strike?

So anytime someone asks for a raise or wishes to renegotiate a contract its economic blackmail???

If a company and a union can't negotiate a contract reasonable to both sides then BOTH sides are free to seek self help ie; the company may hire replacements if they are available, the union may withold their services, thats FREE MARKET

Using the bankruptcy courts to force concessions/ breech legal contracts may be legal per the letter of the law but it is not the FREE MARKET.
No, if the individual merely ASKS for a raise, that is FREE MARKET. If said individual threatens to shut down the company, threatens the workers still there, threatens companies that do business with said company,that, while still legal in crrent labor laws, is the moral equivilant of blackmail.
Use of the bk courts while also legal, is also not always ethical. I am too unfamiliar with corperate bk laws to honestly say much more. As a general rule, I feel it is improper to give anything but general opinions on subjects I am unfamiliar with. (Be careful how you respond to this...I deliberately left an easy opening here.)

No, if the individual merely ASKS for a raise, that is FREE MARKET. If said individual threatens to shut down the company, threatens the workers still there, threatens companies that do business with said company,that, while still legal in crrent labor laws, is the moral equivilant of blackmail.
Use of the bk courts while also legal, is also not always ethical. I am too unfamiliar with corperate bk laws to honestly say much more. As a general rule, I feel it is improper to give anything but general opinions on subjects I am unfamiliar with. (Be careful how you respond to this...I deliberately left an easy opening here.)

If someone asks for a raise and is refused, the employer should be prepared for said individual or individuals to withold their services, period.If the market has no replacements willing to work for that wage the employer negotiatiates, if the market has replacements willing to work for lower wages, the employer is free to hire that person or persons.

History is full of examples of companies OUTSIDE of bankruptcy negotiating concessions with unions when they had too. THATS FREE MARKET

If someone asks for a raise and is refused, the employer should be prepared for said individual or individuals to withold their services, period.If the market has no replacements willing to work for that wage the employer negotiatiates, if the market has replacements willing to work for lower wages, the employer is free to hire that person or persons.

History is full of examples of companies OUTSIDE of bankruptcy negotiating concessions with unions when they had too. THATS FREE MARKET
Iagree completely

I have asked a few pilots if they intended on striking, some wouldn't comment most said no way. One was really talkative about it and basically said that there is no other place to go to work making equal money.

I have asked a few pilots if they intended on striking, some wouldn't comment most said no way. One was really talkative about it and basically said that there is no other place to go to work making equal money.

Are you sure we both work at NW?

My "informal surveys" of flight crews are running approx. 80-90% in favor of a strike.

I have a feeling we are working on two different departments. Your department however does hold the majority of the pilots with the most to lose with the 100 and less seat deal.

I think the pilots just might find themselves divided on this one. This will indeed be a test of solidarity. I wonder if theirs will be as bad as AMFA's. It's one thing to have a split between workgroups, but a division between the same workgroup can only be devastating for a striking union.

PTO: you better start looking for a new scabbingjob because when the pilots walk out on strike, the airline is shut down and may be for good!

If you don't think the pilots will strike, read this. It was sent out yesterday from the ALPA MEC:

From: NWA Strategic Planning Committee [SMTP:[email protected]]
Sent: Thursday, January 12, 2006 5:02 PM
To: NWA Strategic Planning Committee
Subject: MSP Strike Center Volunteers

In light of the Company's unreasonable contract demands, it has become
necessary for the NWA pilots to prepare for a possible strike. We are
now in the process of setting up a Local Strike Center in Minneapolis.
As we prepare for this possible showdown, we have an immediate need for people handy with computers, or willing to learn our Crew and Aircraft Tracking System.

As we move closer to a strike, we will need people to man phones in our Information Center and to fill other vital jobs. We will attempt to call volunteers in only when there is work to be done, so your time will not be wasted.

If you have knowledge from our last strike, we would be most grateful
for any ideas you may have.

Thank you in advance for stepping up during this critical time in our
careers. Please send us an e-mail if you are willing to help.

Thank You.
The MSP Local Strike Center Committee

PTO - You are 100% dead wrong on this issue...trust me the PILOTS WILL ABSOLUTELY STRIKE if pushed into a corner regarding NEWCO. The entire group knows that it is a prelude to MGT trying to outsource ALL flying. If NEWCO occurs...NWA CARGO B747 flying will be next. It will be outsourced to companys such as ATLAS, POLAR, KALITTA, ASTAR, ect. Also, NO line pilot would ever give a MX scab any useful 'strike info' or NWA-MECs real game plan.

Also, NO line pilot would ever give a MX scab any useful 'strike info' or NWA-MECs real game plan.
...Not according to pto! he claims to have a most jovial relationship with pilots and flight attendants. Im sure they tell him everything, after all he hand carries blue water to non-serviceable toilets to get those birds flying :up:

If you don't think the pilots will strike, read this. It was sent out yesterday from the ALPA MEC:

From: NWA Strategic Planning Committee [SMTP:[email protected]]
Sent: Thursday, January 12, 2006 5:02 PM
To: NWA Strategic Planning Committee
Subject: MSP Strike Center Volunteers

In light of the Company's unreasonable contract demands, it has become
necessary for the NWA pilots to prepare for a possible strike. We are
now in the process of setting up a Local Strike Center in Minneapolis.
As we prepare for this possible showdown, we have an immediate need for people handy with computers, or willing to learn our Crew and Aircraft Tracking System.

As we move closer to a strike, we will need people to man phones in our Information Center and to fill other vital jobs. We will attempt to call volunteers in only when there is work to be done, so your time will not be wasted.

If you have knowledge from our last strike, we would be most grateful
for any ideas you may have.

Thank you in advance for stepping up during this critical time in our
careers. Please send us an e-mail if you are willing to help.

Thank You.
The MSP Local Strike Center Committee

If Duane Woerth and all the other wimps at ALPA national would call for a national strike maybe we could get something done.!!!!!!!!!!

Aren't you guys just so cute? Do let me ask, if NWA liquidates where are the pilots going to work? How many pilots work for NWA? How many jobs are out there paying any where close to what they are making even with the cuts? Supply and demand people, it is a fact of life.

Back