overhaul

Duke787

Veteran
Feb 6, 2008
ord
If overhaul was such an albatross around AA's neck, why didn't AA do away with it all?

OH is an obvious money maker, is there a reason AA would not spin off AA OH like AMR did with SABRE?

What about the TWU offering seperate contracts to be competitive with MRO's?

I don't think it's so much of a "money maker", (although some shops im hearing are a money maker)-as it is a "love/hate" relationship with the company. I think they like the work/turn times, but "those damn mechanics just want too much money for there skills!"

I personally CAN NOT WAIT until the day comes that this industry flat a$$ can't find mechanics to do this crap.
And it'll be good enough for there arrogant, condescending attitudes. Of course that's when they'll send it ALL offshore, claiming "nobody wants to do this work anyway..."
(for the wages they pay).

what happen to all the talk about the base being bought out? so and so here and there looking around?

If overhaul was such an albatross around AA's neck, why didn't AA do away with it all?

OH is an obvious money maker, is there a reason AA would not spin off AA OH like AMR did with SABRE?

What about the TWU offering seperate contracts to be competitive with MRO's?
I think its just becoming the thing do to now. Kinda like in the 2000s all the cool kids had 400 50 seaters running around. Shutting down OH is the new way to get back at labor.

I mean hell, Delta has TOCII full of OTHER airlines, some of which get Overhauls done, yet "it cost to much" to do delta overhauls. "they can't make money". :angry:

I think its just becoming the thing do to now. Kinda like in the 2000s all the cool kids had 400 50 seaters running around. Shutting down OH is the new way to get back at labor.

I mean hell, Delta has TOCII full of OTHER airlines, some of which get Overhauls done, yet "it cost to much" to do delta overhauls. "they can't make money". :angry:
except that DL has said that they do overhauls for other carriers because they must in order to get other parts of the contract which they otherwise could not obtain and which are more valuable.
The point of the AM partnership is to ship out the work that DL says doesn't make sense to do even on their own planes while keeping the engine and component work.
AA will figure out their own strategy but I fully expect that AA will indeed become a major player in the MRO business eventually. They have too much invested and too many capabilities not to use it in a business that can make a lot of money. DL says Tech Ops does about $500M per year in business at 10% or better margins. AA is certainly going to try to add that kind of money to its own business plan - and most of it can be obtained w/ very little additional resources.

where is Buck ? I thought this would be right up his alley :rolleyes:
I am here. I have been a bad boy and had my internet taken away.

AA is staying in TUL because the union is protecting the largest portion of the workforce, or the largest portion of revenue to Jim Little
AFW has a fixed cost that TUL does not. The only question is a test cell for the wide body engines
AAR recently toured TUL. Does the name Danny Martinez mean anything to you? Just as Aviall toured they are all looking for our work. The term sheet indicates 40% outsourcing. The 737 program group appears to be having some difficulty finding a vendor at this time who has the capabilities to perform the work. A widebody can overnight in Asia or Europe. I do not see how an aircraft can terminate in Asia or Europe and be a viable revenue source, unless a third or fourth aircraft is in the loop. Aviall is owned by Boeing and could be in line to provide their services.
It will be up to the union and company where to draw the line, money or people. I believe the union will attempt to protect the members over the money. Do not let rumors about AAR sway you. Wait for the facts

what about the twu getting a contract for the bases that stands alone from line as far as pay. as everything else will now below what the mro's give in terms of medical and 401k, oh yea tulsa will have to go to 24/7 (but I don't think that is going to be a big thing.

If the housing market is anything like it was in 1989 when I was there (I thought it was depressed back then) and its probably worse now as it is threw the whole country 2000 plus trying to bail out of the tulsa area is not going to be pretty.

I don't expect the union to save jobs over money. we did that back in 2003 and look where that has got us :eek:

I think tulsa going 24/7 and bringing in more osm or what every they are called will go farther for saving jobs in tulsa.

what is the difference in pay between a amt and a osm and does a osm get money for having a A&P.

If the reports of the work coming out of timco are even 1/3 true and I have no doubt to believe they 100% correct. AA overall product and customer satisfaction is going to drop

except that DL has said that they do overhauls for other carriers because they must in order to get other parts of the contract which they otherwise could not obtain and which are more valuable.
The point of the AM partnership is to ship out the work that DL says doesn't make sense to do even on their own planes while keeping the engine and component work.
AA will figure out their own strategy but I fully expect that AA will indeed become a major player in the MRO business eventually. They have too much invested and too many capabilities not to use it in a business that can make a lot of money. DL says Tech Ops does about $500M per year in business at 10% or better margins. AA is certainly going to try to add that kind of money to its own business plan - and most of it can be obtained w/ very little additional resources.

The only problem to your theory is that American is essentially firing over half of their overhaul mechanics.

Reactions: 1 person
The only problem to your theory is that American is essentially firing over half of their overhaul mechanics.
No, the are firing over half of Mechanic and Related.

Can you tell me what that means?

OSM is basically $21 and no license premium and a Mechanic and Related. $27.20 + $5.00.

The TWU normal method is to save jobs over money. It basically which method can generate the most revenue for the TWU International.

The OSM, staffing will be increased by 450, however the term sheet indicate that the use of non-licensed mechanics are to used in locations where an A&P is not required.

No, the are firing over half of Mechanic and Related.

Can you tell me what that means?

OSM is basically $21 and no license premium and a Mechanic and Related. $27.20 + $5.00.

The TWU normal method is to save jobs over money. It basically which method can generate the most revenue for the TWU International.

The OSM, staffing will be increased by 450, however the term sheet indicate that the use of non-licensed mechanics are to used in locations where an A&P is not required.

The union is telling everyone in the AFW hangar that they do not have enough seniority to bump the system. If you get layed off from a station that no longer exists, you are terminated.

some guys will be able to bump, but yes alot of guys willn't and unfortunately be on the street

Tulsa has approx. 5685 TWU in Tulsa. Of which 3761 are AMT 563 are OSM 130 aircraft cleaners and 94 parts washers which are all Title I. We have 473 title II 531 stores and 100 FSC at base. If they stick to the lay off numbers of 2100 union people in Tulsa and don't back off outsourcing of title II and FSC that would put about 1182 Title I on the street leaving approx date of around 12/95. But then there is the process of bumping to backfill part washers, cleaners and OSM. Doing math I think some of the AFW guys do have enough time to bump to TULE. But then why would the TWU fellers lie.

The union is telling everyone in the AFW hangar that they do not have enough seniority to bump the system. If you get layed off from a station that no longer exists, you are terminated.
Everyone? Nobody has said a word to me nor anyone on my crew/dock. I have plenty of senority to bump the system. Try sticking to facts.