Parker to Retirees: Get over it

ChrisUS said:
It's interesting that the theme for the merger seems to be do what the larger airline did so as not to have to disrupt and train a majority.  Except in this case. We don't want to piss off the minority. AA employees have always worked under the rule that when they retired they would be treated as an equal and I believe they were ok with it.  The legacy US people had the same belief BUT that all changed when Am West entered the picture.  So in reality, the smallest employee group is the only one really affected here that "we" don't want to piss off since their retirees went behind active. They had a very small group of retirees since the airline was only about 20 years old when it merged. I also don't believe EVERY airline boards retirees behind active.  I've talked to employees of Delta and United and one of them said retirees were as equals. UA used to board retirees ahead of active. THAT is wrong also.  Just treat us as equals, that's all we want. 

I worked for several airlines last one being NWA until we went on strike. All of them retirees went AFTER active. Have to admit though it sucks to have it and then change it after a merger,

Reactions: 1 person
MetalMover said:
Parker put it to rest. Time to move on.
Just like those who suggest we forget the past concessions and screwings and look forward the future, retirees need to do the same. I know it doesn't seem fair, but all employees got screwed. They made it to retirement and got to keep their retiree medical. 

Remember, we were ALL promised things.
It is the unions reponsibility to keep those contractual promises including agreements made signed by both parties.

ChrisUS said:
I've talked to employees of Delta and United and one of them said retirees were as equals. UA used to board retirees ahead of active. THAT is wrong also.  Just treat us as equals, that's all we want.
Retirees at DL go after active employees...

AANOTOK said:
No but I miss not having you and yours rambling in the AA forum...
mhumxg.jpg

1AA said:
It is the unions reponsibility to keep those contractual promises including agreements made signed by both parties.
Maybe so, but remember non rev travel is a COMPANY perk, not just for union members. It affects EVERY employee and retiree. 

And, we used to run the routes with a wagon train.  But, hey, times change.  Reminds me of when I was at Texaco, they assured us that the IT department would never be downsized and people laid off.  Less than a year later they started right-sizing the department.  As near as I could tell the difference between downsizing and right-sizing is that in right-sizing all managers get to keep their jobs--even if it meant moving them into a programmer or analyst job with a downgrade in title, but no reduction in pay.  This was even if they had absolutely no experience or training in the job they took away from a programmer or analyst.

Lesson for the Day:  Don't ever trust or count on any promise made by management that goes beyond Friday of next week.

Reactions: 3 people
jimntx said:
But, hey, times change.  Reminds me of when I was at Texaco, they assured us that the IT department would never be downsized and people laid off.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/04/us/last-task-after-layoff-at-disney-train-foreign-replacements.html?WT.mc_id=2015-JUNE-AOL-US_AUD_DEV-0601-0630&WT.mc_ev=click&ad-keywords=AUDDEVREMARK&icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl7%7Csec1_lnk2%26pLid%3D-649108799&_r=1&module=ArrowsNav&contentCollection=U.S.&action=keypress&region=FixedLeft&pgtype=article

ORLANDO, Fla. — The employees who kept the data systems humming in the vast Walt Disney fantasy fief did not suspect trouble when they were suddenly summoned to meetings with their boss.

ChrisUS said:
Says you!  NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Says Me?  NOT!!!!!!! Says the judge.  Maybe we were dreaming when the judge said AA could NOT end the retiree medical. I don't know what rock you've been living under, but the retirees kept their medical and that is why we have NOT received our matching contributions.

MetalMover said:
Says Me?  NOT!!!!!!! Says the judge.  Maybe we were dreaming when the judge said AA could NOT end the retiree medical. I don't know what rock you've been living under, but the retirees kept their medical and that is why we have NOT received our matching contributions.
So far. He said that they could not just discontinue the benefit without having to take the retirees through court and prove their case. So far Judge Lane has not scheduled anything in regards to that issue and it looks like he is going to hold that one till dead last.

The Judge is still hearing issues in regards to AA's BK.

WeAAsles said:
So far. He said that they could not just discontinue the benefit without having to take the retirees through court and prove their case. So far Judge Lane has not scheduled anything in regards to that issue and it looks like he is going to hold that one till dead last.

The Judge is still hearing issues in regards to AA's BK.
ChrisUS seems to be in denial.

ChrisUS said:
It's interesting that the theme for the merger seems to be do what the larger airline did so as not to have to disrupt and train a majority.  Except in this case. We don't want to piss off the minority. AA employees have always worked under the rule that when they retired they would be treated as an equal and I believe they were ok with it.  The legacy US people had the same belief BUT that all changed when Am West entered the picture.  So in reality, the smallest employee group is the only one really affected here that "we" don't want to piss off since their retirees went behind active. They had a very small group of retirees since the airline was only about 20 years old when it merged. I also don't believe EVERY airline boards retirees behind active.  I've talked to employees of Delta and United and one of them said retirees were as equals. UA used to board retirees ahead of active. THAT is wrong also.  Just treat us as equals, that's all we want. 
Sorry, I was there, and I’m not one to defend management decisions but some of these speakers came across as very selfish. One thing they proposed was putting the service charges back in for all pass travellers. Talk about throwing us under the bus! The fact is these retirees for the most part had very rewarding careers, with fair remuneration, good benefits beyond flight benefits and some no doubt voted in favor of huge concessions going forward to fund their early out packages. Some attacked US Airways workers and others spoke as if current workers were somehow indebted to them when if anything current workers were indebted BY THEM. The jobs they left were nothing close to the careers they came into, maybe they did owe those who came before them something but more than one round of concessions was pushed through after the company added early out packages that left a diminished career for those who were unable to avail themselves of the buyouts. 

Parker had his numbers. He said that only 3% of D2Rs don’t make their flight. What nobody mentioned during the meeting was that retirees get D1s just like current workers. I was unaware of that till they told me. So six times a year, people who receive a check to stay home and do not have to work, fly before current workers who have limited time off or need to get back to work and could lose their job if they don’t make it back on time. These people want to be ble to be first on the list all the time, after all they are retired so they can make sure they check in the second they are able to. 

The one point I would agree with retirees is the loss of D3s. D3s are especially useful to widowed persons and Grandparents to either bring companions on a trip or even get grandchildren to come see them more often.

That would be a better argument than attacking current workers, both LUS and LAA and talking about how they built this airline, and coming off with an attitude that current workers owe them something. The fact is these people are retired and they have the time to make sure they check in at the exact moment they can and get ahead of current workers with the D-1s they get, and they can do that several times a year, putting themselves ahead of the commuters that cant afford to live in expensive places in part thanks to the concessions they have to live under, concessions that built this airline and funded some of the retirees early outs. Some of these people voted away our pensions and our retiree medical. Yes, someday I'll be retired as well, and with 6 D1 at my disposal that seems pretty fair, If after that I have to wait till the next flight or even the next day so a current worker that only gets one week of vacation a year can get where they need to be, so be it, I'm retired, what difference will it make if I see my Grandkids a day later? Isn't that better than someone losing their job  so a retiree could get home quicker? 

Reactions: 7 people

Latest posts