Plans for Second Commercial Airport in Metro-Atlanta Moving Forward

Status
Not open for further replies.
Couldn't be.  Unlike rudderless, hopeless AA, Delta would never try and challenge an attempt to expand air service at an airport competing with its largest hub.  Never happen.

700UW said:
wow so much butt hurt there. 

eolesen said:
DL won't be interested until there's no gate space.
it will be a long long time before ATL runs out of gate space. Not only can they move TOC and do the same thing they are doing to Delta cargo, they can also still add the south gate complex in between the four south runways. 

And there are plans for a 7th runway on the northside of the field. 

That is the problem, ATL has space NOW if someone wants it. This is just an attempt to waste tax dollars on a private airport for G4. 

you all missed the point that the Paulding County commission voted against the project.

it is the airport authority and the developer who want it.

The project is dead until the county commission is thrown out.

The people don't want it.

a developer does

What DL wants is immaterial in the face of the desire of the residents.

eolesen said:
DL won't be interested until there's no gate space.

Lol.

topDawg said:
wow so much butt hurt there. 

it will be a long long time before ATL runs out of gate space. Not only can they move TOC and do the same thing they are doing to Delta cargo, they can also still add the south gate complex in between the four south runways. 

And there are plans for a 7th runway on the northside of the field. 

That is the problem, ATL has space NOW if someone wants it. This is just an attempt to waste tax dollars on a private airport for G4.
What are they doing with the cargo facility?

Interesting to say the least.  Delta is fighting a second airport in Atlanta, and fighting like hell to remain at a second airport in Dallas TX.  Hmmmmm.  Can't wait to see the arguments going forward and how they might compare to the two.  Just another stall tactic and there will be many many more coming...

Seems to me if the airport and developer want to go forward without public funding once they have their Part 139 certificate, there's really nothing stopping it.

It might just wind up like Mid-America did outside of St. Louis, but I can also see Spirit, Frontier, or Allegiant giving it a whirl.

No developer is stupid enough to foot that bill
And the county commission doesn't want commercial service and neither do the people
Dallas could have closed that hole at DAL but didn't
Since it is a commercial airport DL will be there

Kev3188 said:

Lol.

What are they doing with the cargo facility?
moving it to the south side of the field. Also, FWIW, the old NWA hangar will be coming down soon for another cargo building (not Delta) 

TOC will end up over by North Cargo. IMO. 

swamt said:
Interesting to say the least.  Delta is fighting a second airport in Atlanta, and fighting like hell to remain at a second airport in Dallas TX.  Hmmmmm.  Can't wait to see the arguments going forward and how they might compare to the two.  Just another stall tactic and there will be many many more coming...
Apples to bananas. Delta has been flying to DAL. 
Who currently has flights to this airport? 

eolesen said:
Seems to me if the airport and developer want to go forward without public funding once they have their Part 139 certificate, there's really nothing stopping it.

It might just wind up like Mid-America did outside of St. Louis, but I can also see Spirit, Frontier, or Allegiant giving it a whirl.
wont happen. You would have to be a complete idiot to invest in this idea. 

WorldTraveler said:
No developer is stupid enough to foot that bill
And the county commission doesn't want commercial service and neither do the people
Dallas could have closed that hole at DAL but didn't
Since it is a commercial airport DL will be there
not likely. 

I am saying that DL will be at DAL.

The residents and commissioners of Paulding County DO NOT want commercial service in their backyard.

The developer is trying to make this about DL vs. the Paulding County airport which is in the pocket of the developer.

this is simply a case of a developer who has paid off the airport officials and both groups are completely counter to the wishes of the community which is who the county commission represents.

btw, the City of Atlanta also owns land that was earmarked at one point in the same general area for a 2nd commercial airport.

the city of Atlanta has never moved forward with developing that land and these efforts with the Pauling County airport prove that the City of Atlanta should sell its land and let developers do what they want with the land.

I wouldn't be surprised if part of the outcome is that the city of Atlanta does that with the stipulation that Paulding County can never have commercial air service.

Atlanta, like Denver and Philly, is a one airport city and will always be.

Dallas was just not smart enough to put in place the legal framework or to destroy the runway that would have prevented DAL from becoming a 2nd commercial airport when DFW opened.

WorldTraveler said:
I am saying that DL will be at DAL.

The residents and commissioners of Paulding County DO NOT want commercial service in their backyard.

The developer is trying to make this about DL vs. the Paulding County airport which is in the pocket of the developer.

this is simply a case of a developer who has paid off the airport officials and both groups are completely counter to the wishes of the community which is who the county commission represents.

btw, the City of Atlanta also owns land that was earmarked at one point in the same general area for a 2nd commercial airport.

the city of Atlanta has never moved forward with developing that land and these efforts with the Pauling County airport prove that the City of Atlanta should sell its land and let developers do what they want with the land.

I wouldn't be surprised if part of the outcome is that the city of Atlanta does that with the stipulation that Paulding County can never have commercial air service.

Atlanta, like Denver and Philly, is a one airport city and will always be.

Dallas was just not smart enough to put in place the legal framework or to destroy the runway that would have prevented DAL from becoming a 2nd commercial airport when DFW opened.
well now I wouldn't go that far. 

As population on the north side grows, and stays rich, they will end up getting an airport. ATL will run low on space at some point too. 

but it wont happen in the next 20....hell I'll say 40 years. Not in my life time more than likely. 

the northside of Atlanta has been growing for years.

no one wants an airport in their backyard.

that is precisely why the Paulding County airport will fail.

The people of Paulding county are not willing to be in the position of the neighbors of DAL - who weren't smart enough or powerful enough to stop WN years ago and now they have a full blown commercial airport with hundreds of lights/day in their backyard.

and there is a whole lot more money and power in the neighborhoods around DAL.

the people of Paulding just happen to have history on their side to show what happens if you allow even the slightest hint of support for commercial service.

you are either pregnant or not. there is no "just a little pregnant."

well maybe not you personally. :)

WorldTraveler said:
the northside of Atlanta has been growing for years.

no one wants an airport in their backyard.

that is precisely why the Paulding County airport will fail.

The people of Paulding county are not willing to be in the position of the neighbors of DAL - who weren't smart enough or powerful enough to stop WN years ago and now they have a full blown commercial airport with hundreds of lights/day in their backyard.

and there is a whole lot more money and power in the neighborhoods around DAL.

the people of Paulding just happen to have history on their side to show what happens if you allow even the slightest hint of support for commercial service.

you are either pregnant or not. there is no "just a little pregnant."

well maybe not you personally. :)
but I think that the population growth, as well as ATL running short on space, has yet to get to the point of needing a second airport. 

Like i said, never is a strong word, but IMO no second airport for Atlanta in our lives is likely, very likely. 

(and in all honestly I wouldn't be shocked to see a 2nd airport well away from city just for the reason you said. Somewhere like Lawrenceville or up in the 316 area. Hell maybe even Athens Airport. land o plenty in that area and from the north side it would still probably be fast than trying to get up or down the connector during the majority of the day.) 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back