Polygamy is next... Seriously....

eolesen

Veteran
Jul 23, 2003
I've mentioned polygamy a few times as the next stop on the slippery slope of marriage redefinition, and a few here have scoffed at that as just being extremist or distractionary...

Well, that conservative beacon of truth, the Daily Beast, has now picked up on the growing possibility that polygamy is indeed going to be next up for the courts to decide.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/09/12/is-polygamy-the-next-gay-marriage.html

The truth is that it's already been in the courts.

As of two weeks ago, a Federal court declared one of Utah's anti-poligamy statutes as unconstitutional, and it looks like the State is set on taking it thru the appeals process, and possibly SCOTUS.

Utah laws against co-habitation were passed to try and close the legal loophole many of the state's polygamists have used, which is to only have one legal marriage at a time, yet having a plural marriage recognized by their church. The wildly popular show "Big Love" on HBO portrayed that in fiction, and the reality show "Sister Wives" on

http://www.religionnews.com/2014/08/28/judge-finalizes-order-finding-polygamy-law-unconstitutional-victory-sister-wives/

I don't see the slippery slope.

How about you worry about your personal life and not worry about how others decide to live theirs? Polygamist are just exercising their religious freedoms. How does it effect you? Does religious freedom only extend to what you believe is true?

Geez. Mind your own feeling business. I could care less how many people or of what gender want to enter into a marriage contract. If you don't like it then don't do it.

Mrs Tree and I watch sister wives all the time. Seems to work well for them. More power to them. Hope they gain the right to legally marry and have all the rights that go with it.

I don't have a problem with polygamy being legal. My wife does, though.

I was waiting for this after the gay marriage debate. Personally I don't get polygamy as I can't even seem to keep one wife for more then 8 years.

Once again this is simple for me. The rights of the Individual supersede the rights of the government. As long as we have a consenting adults type situation.

You won't see polygamy legal until the IRS can figure out to tax it accordingly. That's probably the only thing (besides the religious right) holding it back. It'll happen at some point though.

eolesen said:
I don't have a problem with polygamy being legal. My wife does, though.
That would be a problem.
You seem to have some issue with it. You used the term 'slippery slope' and redefinition'. Religious marriage is not being redefined by anyone. The only union being dealt with is the legal one.

blue collar said:
You won't see polygamy legal until the IRS can figure out to tax it accordingly. That's probably the only thing (besides the religious right) holding it back. It'll happen at some point though.
I think the easiest way is just eliminate any and all tags related to marriage. Tax the individual. E imitate the spot on the tax from where you file joint or separate.

Ms Tree said:
You seem to have some issue with it. You used the term 'slippery slope' and redefinition'. Religious marriage is not being redefined by anyone. The only union being dealt with is the legal one.
Nope, I don't have any problem with it whatsoever, aside from the few that wind up gaming the system because the income of the father and sister wives isn't taken into consideration when they're applying for state benefits. The same thing happens with unmarried couples as well.

Having lived around it in AZ and UT, it's pretty obvious these people live amongst us but have to keep their family relationships in the shadows against their will.

The whole premise behind outlawing polygamy was to keep the Mormons in check. If someone proposed doing that for Muslims today, can you imagine the outcry?

Slippery slope is all about unintended consequences.

If polygamy is found to be legal again, certainly that's not something those promoting marriage equality expected to come to fruition, and it will be most interesting to see who speaks out against it.

eolesen said:
Nope, I don't have any problem with it whatsoever, aside from the few that wind up gaming the system because the income of the father and sister wives isn't taken into consideration when they're applying for state benefits. The same thing happens with unmarried couples as well.Having lived around it in AZ and UT, it's pretty obvious these people live amongst us but have to keep their family relationships in the shadows against their will.The whole premise behind outlawing polygamy was to keep the Mormons in check. If someone proposed doing that for Muslims today, can you imagine the outcry?Slippery slope is all about unintended consequences.If polygamy is found to be legal again, certainly that's not something those promoting marriage equality expected to come to fruition, and it will be most interesting to see who speaks out against it.
Thing Cody on SW is not gaming the system. The way I interpret gaming is intentional deceit. He is not allowed by law to marry and as a result his income is not included for 3 of his 4 wives.

I am sure some will speak out against it. Some will be blacks who were discriminated against and some will be gay. Does not diminish the need for equality or diminish the irony. People can want equal rights for them selves and turn around and deny equality for others.

I

Ms Tree said:
I think the easiest way is just eliminate any and all tags related to marriage
THE TRUE LIBTARD AGENDA!!!!

It is as I have stated before (about gay marriage), this is nothing more than a libtard agenda to attack the sanctity of marriage. 

Reactions: 2 people
Sounds a whole lot like Individual Liberty rising to me.

We, as a nation have no state sponsored religion. It's a First Amendment thing you could look it up.

Even the Old Testament weighs in on individual Liberty, though in a cautionary way.

Ecclesiastes 11:9 "Rejoice, O young man, in thy youth; and let thy heart cheer thee in the days of thy youth, and walk in the ways of thine heart, and in the sight of thine eyes: but know thou, that for all these things God will bring thee into judgment."

IMO there is no valid argument for Federal Government involvement regulating the lives of the Citizens of the Republic in matters so deeply persopnal as who and how they choose to share their lives with.

BTW what is the definition of a "Libtard"? I think it's similar to Neo-Fascist Neo-Con isn't it?

Latest posts