Polygamy is next... Seriously....

Again legal age consent is only what "society" determines what is legal at that point in time.  When society changes so does its views of what is legal and what isn't.  Marriage, Drugs, laws all can change at whim depending on what society and government feels best at the time.  Do I really have to keep spoon feeding you this???

As for a lower divorce rate in recent years that is purely based on the poor economy where now it is easier to be married with a dual income for bills and tax credits.

Yes laws can be changed.  What does that have to do with the price of tea in China?  There is no legal basis to deprive equal rights to a group of people because of something that might happen.  If society decides to change the age of consent then so be it.  All people in the US still deserve the right to marry.

The divorce rate has been decreasing since the 1970.  This is not a recent advent.  This is a 40 year low.  And it is still over 50%.  Regardless of how you want to try and spin it, the divorce rate is more of an 'attack' on the 'sanctity' of marriage than marriage equality.

Ms Tree said:
Divorce rate has been decreasing since 1983.  I guess abandoning god and morals is good for marriage.  According to this article, the divorce rate is the lowest since 1970.
If you're going to quote a trend, then look at the entire trend.

marriage_and_divorce_over_time.jpg

I don't find it at all coincidental that there was a spike between 1967 and 1980. Those were the days of free love, feminism, and pretty much an entire decade built around selfishness, and it most certainly coincides with the decline in church attendance:

GallupAdjust.jpg

My parents generation was brought up in an era where quitting wasn't acceptable under any circumstances.

Then the late 1960's and 1970's hit, and quitting became quite acceptable, be it school, war, or a marriage... Do what feels good, and forget about all the tough stuff. That entire generation didn't know what a commitment was, and still doesn't.

Last observation on the divorce data -- it is largely based on estimates, and there's no data available from California and four or five other states. That's >10% and 10% of the States missing from the statistics.

Black Magic said:
Again legal age consent is only what "society" determines what is legal at that point in time.  When society changes so does its views of what is legal and what isn't.  Marriage, Drugs, laws all can change at whim depending on what society and government feels best at the time.  Do I really have to keep spoon feeding you this???

As for a lower divorce rate in recent years that is purely based on the poor economy where now it is easier to be married with a dual income for bills and tax credits.
You have to consider the source. Yes liberals are that stupid.

eolesen said:
Then the late 1960's and 1970's hit, and quitting became quite acceptable, be it school, war, or a marriage... Do what feels good, and forget about all the tough stuff. That entire generation didn't know what a commitment was, and still doesn't.
Libtards run from responsibility like a welfare recipient runs from a job. Again, liberals like to make adult decisions but want everybody else to pay their adult consequences.

La Li Lu Le Lo said:
Again, liberals like to make adult decisions but want everybody else to pay their adult consequences.
Like someone who gets laid off from an airline job (adult consequences) and wants all of us to pay for him to get retrained.

Reactions: 1 person
As for polygamy. It will ruin the sanctity of fa la la TI do's marriage?

I have no fear of my marriage being affected by gays or polygamists. But hey, that's me.

eolesen said:
If you're going to quote a trend, then look at the entire trend.

marriage_and_divorce_over_time.jpg

I don't find it at all coincidental that there was a spike between 1967 and 1980. Those were the days of free love, feminism, and pretty much an entire decade built around selfishness, and it most certainly coincides with the decline in church attendance:

GallupAdjust.jpg

My parents generation was brought up in an era where quitting wasn't acceptable under any circumstances.

Last observation on the divorce data -- it is largely based on estimates, and there's no data available from California and four or five other states. That's >10% and 10% of the States missing from the statistics.

There is more to the divorce rate than just the idea that 'quitting' became OK. Women finally realized that they could be independent and survive on their own. The found out that they were able to get a job out side of the home. They cold support them selves. They realized that they were not property to be given by their father to their husband at the alter.

I agree that we are a throwaway society but to blame it on that and ignore all the other factors is just plain ignorant.

La Li Lu Le Lo said:
You have to consider the source. Yes liberals are that stupid.

Libtards run from responsibility like a welfare recipient runs from a job. Again, liberals like to make adult decisions but want everybody else to pay their adult consequences.
Conservatives don't get divorced? Do you have a shred of evidence to support that it is only liberals who quite and run? Gingrich has tried it 3 times. Sanford cheated on his wife. the list goes on. Then there is the fact that you are ignoring the study that Sparrow posted that shows a higher divorce rate in conservative areas as opposed to liberal areas. OH yea, I forgot. You make up your own facts to support your made up reality.

Reactions: 2 people
All this talk of divorce rates and animal marriages is silly. The right is just trying to distract from the main issue. Equality. The COTUS guarantees it. People have the fundamental right to treated equally. The laws against polygamy and same sex marriage will fall. Society will manage to survive just as it did when women gained suffrage, blacks gained equality, interracial marriage was allowed and sodomy laws were found to be against the law.

Being scared of what might happen is not a valid legal excuse to deprive a segment of society of equality. That's just now how it works.

I'm not expecting fire and brimstone to smite the cities of America anytime soon, but the irony in your comment is that you're making the argument that it's OK to go and repeat the history of Rome, Greece, and Sodom and Gomorrah. You're also making some of the same justifications that Napoleon did in Animal Farm...

Sure, go ahead and discount the Sodom and Gomorrah stories as a fable because there's not a lot of independent documentation other than the Old Testament and other rabbinical texts. The destruction story may well be a natural disaster that couldn't be explained, but the behaviors of the citizenry are not at all unlike what happened in Rome, and to a lesser degree, Greece.

But whether or not you're spiritual, in all three historical examples (as well as the fictional in Animal Farm), the culture shifted from one of self-reliance and serving the community to one where personal pleasure, money and power ultimately became more important than anything else. Those societies decayed from the inside out, which ultimately left them vulnerable to being overtaken by others.

We can either learn from history or we can repeat it.