Priority List Question

ChrisUS

Senior
Aug 20, 2005
How do a family of D1's get on the list as D1T's for a ORDLAX flight leaving tomorrow at 12:05pm at 4:00pm today? Europe flights would have arrived this afternoon and there are flights before that today and tomorrow .

Last edited:
Your question doesn't make sense. Where are you coming from to be at ORD for the ORD/LAX flight? What airline are you flying into ORD? Are the family members arriving at ORD on different airlines from different originating cities?

If you are not a true through passenger and want to game the system to make it think you are, don't bother. It's been tried and the possible penalties for attempting to game the non-rev system include termination. I know of one case where a DFW employee flew DFW-AUS on one PNR/Non-Rev listing.. Then attempted to fly AUS-DFW-CDG (IIRC) on a different PNR/Non-Rev listing as if his travel had originated in AUS. He is no longer with us.

Last edited:
Your question doesn't make sense. Where are you coming from to be at ORD for the ORD/LAX flight? What airline are you flying into ORD? Are the family members arriving at ORD on different airlines from different originating cities?

If you are not a true through passenger and want to game the system to make it think you are, don't bother. It's been tried and the possible penalties for attempting to game the non-rev system include termination. I know of one case where a DFW employee flew DFW-AUS on one PNR/Non-Rev listing.. Then attempted to fly AUS-DFW-CDG (IIRC) on a different PNR/Non-Rev listing as if his travel had originated in AUS. He is no longer with us.

Really? That just proves the basic unfairness of the system. If a "hub employee" is willing to take the time and effort to fly to a "spoke city" to place him/herself on EQUAL footing with "spoke employees", what is the bg deal?

What your are saying is that "spoke employees" have a permanent unfair advantage over "hub employees" simply because of where they live.

It's a bad deal all around. That employee who is "no longer with us" was lucky to extricate him/herself from AWA. (Face it. It really is just a larger version of AWA now.)

Really? That just proves the basic unfairness of the system. If a "hub employee" is willing to take the time and effort to fly to a "spoke city" to place him/herself on EQUAL footing with "spoke employees", what is the bg deal?

What your are saying is that "spoke employees" have a permanent unfair advantage over "hub employees" simply because of where they live.

It's a bad deal all around. That employee who is "no longer with us" was lucky to extricate him/herself from AWA. (Face it. It really is just a larger version of AWA now.)

The Hub employee has an advantage because all your World destinations fly out of those stations and if they can't get on the flight they can go home without any added expenditures of needing to stay in a Hotel and try again tomorrow.

That's the idea behind the through employee getting priority. The "spoke" employee can be out a lot more money if they don't make the flight and have to get an overnight Hotel for them and they're family.

The D1 or 2T is the best solution for making sure that Hub employee doesn't have that unfair advantage. If anything it can actually wind up working against the Hub employee if he really needs to get somewhere just as bad as that spoke employee.

And "If" the original poster is trying to "game" the system it would be a very stupid thing to try. Absolutely not worth the risk of losing your flight privileges or even worse, your job.

Flying without paying is a risk game. If you don't want to run the risk you should pay for a ticket like every other non airline employee has to do.

The Hub employee has an advantage because all your World destinations fly out of those stations and if they can't get on the flight they can go home without any added expenditures of needing to stay in a Hotel and try again tomorrow.

That's the idea behind the through employee getting priority. The "spoke" employee can be out a lot more money if they don't make the flight and have to get an overnight Hotel for them and they're family.

The D1 or 2T is the best solution for making sure that Hub employee doesn't have that unfair advantage. If anything it can actually wind up working against the Hub employee if he really needs to get somewhere just as bad as that spoke employee.

And "If" the original poster is trying to "game" the system it would be a very stupid thing to try. Absolutely not worth the risk of losing your flight privileges or even worse, your job.

Flying without paying is a risk game. If you don't want to run the risk you should pay for a ticket like every other non airline employee has to do.
AMEN! For that matter on the airplane I've met a number of employees who have given up trying to non-rev and they just buy a ticket if they need to go somewhere. Let's face it. If you are non-revving it doesn't matter whether you are D1T, D2T, or just plain D99, your chances of getting on a flight are not good these days unless you are going to the ski resorts in the summer or the beach in the winter.

Who said anything about AWA? It was an AA employee several years before anyone even thought of or cared about AWA at AA.

How do a family of D1's get on the list as D1T's for a ORDLAX flight leaving tomorrow at 12:05pm at 4:00pm today? Europe flights would have arrived this afternoon and there are flights before that today and tomorrow .

It's just the way the system is set up now. It's less than 24 hours, then a lot can happen. NR travel now isn't for the faint of heart. Even when you plan and watch for open flights to possibly get on, the company takes those open seats and sells them for pennies on the dollar to the internet discounters. The company should at least give the employees a stab at those un-sold seats first. So then that brings us back to paying for non-rev travel. There is the catch, Doug offers all employees free travel; unfortunately, there isn't any seats left to get on a flight cause the company dumped the open seats to the internet discounters for next to nothing. Then the discount ticket purchaser shows up to the kiosk, and promptly upgrades to first class for $50.00. lol

Who said anything about AWA? It was an AA employee several years before anyone even thought of or cared about AWA at AA.

Exactly. American Airlines today was built from tons of other airlines being merged together over many years dating back before even most of our parents were born. And it will also be around long after we're gone now too IMO.

So silly any time people make these ridiculous emotional comments.

It's just the way the system is set up now. It's less than 24 hours, then a lot can happen. NR travel now isn't for the faint of heart. Even when you plan and watch for open flights to possibly get on, the company takes those open seats and sells them for pennies on the dollar to the internet discounters. The company should at least give the employees a stab at those un-sold seats first. So then that brings us back to paying for non-rev travel. There is the catch, Doug offers all employees free travel; unfortunately, there isn't any seats left to get on a flight cause the company dumped the open seats to the internet discounters for next to nothing. Then the discount ticket purchaser shows up to the kiosk, and promptly upgrades to first class for $50.00. lol

I think we'd have the same advantage to purchase from the discounters as anyone else. But people would probably linger around hoping no one buys them so they can get on for free instead of having to shell out a couple of bucks to make sure?

Besides Free Travel vs Profit? Which one would we really prefer?

I think I'd rather the airline makes Profit myself. Don't ever want to ride the giveback train again.

Currently 257 Million sitting in that Profit Sharing pool with the last quarter left to be announced.

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=117098&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=2213314

Last edited:
My friend working at LAX said everyone goes to LAS..SFO...SAN then returns to LAX as a "T" just so they can get on the SYD...HKG and Hawaii flights. Does the company monitor this? There's a Facebook page called AA Nonrev and employees claim it's legal and not against the rules....just curious..

I know a few people who do it all the time without repercussions. I have never heard of it being against company policy. not saying it isn't, just haven't heard of any company admitted abuse.

I know a few people who do it all the time without repercussions. I have never heard of it being against company policy. not saying it isn't, just haven't heard of any company admitted abuse.

Well against policy or not it still sounds like a crummy way to cut in front of the line against your fellow coworkers who want to get to places just as much as you do.

If the company doesn't monitor the "scam" then they should. That scenario above would be very easy to catch if it was a same day travel.

Set an example and restrict a few travel privileges for a few months and that BS will stop dead in its tracks when word gets out.

My friend working at LAX said everyone goes to LAS..SFO...SAN then returns to LAX as a "T" just so they can get on the SYD...HKG and Hawaii flights. Does the company monitor this? There's a Facebook page called AA Nonrev and employees claim it's legal and not against the rules....just curious..

We're our own worst enemies.