Weather Waiver BUF?

MapleLeaf

Oct 6, 2008
GSP (ughs!)
Visit site
The National Weather Service is calling for blizzard like conditions for Buffalo tomorrow (Thursday the 12th), wind gusts 50 mph, 3-7 inches of snow in the afternoon, plus 4 inches in the evening, near white out conditions - travel is not recommended.

As of now, US has not issued a weather waiver for flights into/out of BUF. The last thing I want to do is get stuck at DCA on a weather delay. Any ideas of how I can get a weather waiver?

Thank you.

That's a normal winter day in BUF....The port authority is probably the best in the nation keeping the airport operating...

That's a normal winter day in BUF....The port authority is probably the best in the nation keeping the airport operating...

I used to live in Buffalo and that is not a normal winter day. While the airport may run, how the hell do I get from the airport to anywhere else when whiteout conditions exist on the roads?

I used to live in Buffalo and that is not a normal winter day. While the airport may run, how the hell do I get from the airport to anywhere else when whiteout conditions exist on the roads?
Lighten up.....I lived there 43 years...had 18 years working at the airport....

Great town - any time of year. Was there for the Blizzard in '77...love it back there.

Yeah, I live and breathe snow so I'm familiar with it. Most airports can clear runways in accordance to FAA safety standards, and pilots are very good at landing and taking off in blizzard conditions. Oh, btw, most of us Upstaters know how to drive in the snow. Travel advisories usually mean ROADS. If they cancel the flight due to weather that is something beyond anyone's control.

Blizzard conditions don't seem to stop airport workers showing up for work. We know how to drive or buy SUVs :lol:

CNN is reporting a Colgan Air Q400 down near BUF. This one doesn't appear to have a fortunate outcome either.

My thoughts and prayers go out to those aboard and their families.

With the Continental crash in BUF today, the conditions must have been as you advertised. Geez, the BUF port authority should have read this thread yesterday so they would have had a copy of your 'travel not recommended' statement. I hope you weren't on that flight and it is an unfortunate loss of life for those on the Continental aircraft.

With the Continental crash in BUF today, the conditions must have been as you advertised. Geez, the BUF port authority should have read this thread yesterday so they would have had a copy of your 'travel not recommended' statement. I hope you weren't on that flight and it is an unfortunate loss of life for those on the Continental aircraft.

They monitor the airport not the surrounding area. The airport conditions may have been OK to land and take-off. Ice seems to have been the problem. Perhaps the FAA should require de-icing on all planes that head to icy temperatures from above freezing temperatures.

My prayers to the victims and families.

De - Icing wouldnt have helped. Type 4 fluid which is used to coat and protect the aircraft has a maximum holdover time of 60 (could be less depending on conditions) minutes and thats on the ground only. As the aircraft accelerate for takeoff and climb the fluid is blown off by the airspeed.

Aircraft have their own anti-ice systems such as engine anti ice when in flight. This particular aircraft has a pneumatic boot on the leading edge of the wings and horizontal stabilizer. It expands and contracts whne it selected as on to break off any ice build up.

I heard about this on the way to work and first thought was it sounded very similar to the American Eagle ATR-72 that went down in Indiana years back. Same conditions....both new aircraft in their respected times. I believe an AD went out after the ATR incident.