Recall letters reach the 99' "newhire" pilots

Aug 22, 2002
Bentonville, AR (XNA)
According to a fellow who calls himself "Fatburger" over on another aviation message board that offers flight info <_< <grin> he says he was hired in 1/99 and received a certified letter from the company asking for his intentions regarding recall.

If true, it marks the first of the "newhire" pilots to be recalled to mainline. I wonder if the letters indicate domicile or equipment? How are they handling the E190 unlimited bypass?

Does anyone have a feel of how the reserve system works now vs pre-9/11? Is there still a long-call/short-call system? Can we still pass up trips, get trips from future, etc..?

Considering 99 hires may be stuck on reserve for a long period of time, this may be something to consider before accepting a recall.

I agree.

I'm also hearing that they don't offer information on domicile or aircraft until you're in class. That makes it a bit more difficult to make an educated decision too.

Does anyone have a feel of how the reserve system works now vs pre-9/11? Is there still a long-call/short-call system? Can we still pass up trips, get trips from future, etc..? ...
There is still a long/short call system. We operate under a "bucket" system with a least time option (LTO). You can't pass trips.
The bucket system works like this:
You have 2 reserves available, one with 4 days left on duty and one with 3 days availability- if a 3 day trip opens up it goes to the 3 day guy. Now, if a 2 day trip opens up it goes to the pilot with the least amount of time for the month (LTO). Reserves are ranked by least time goes first.
Thats it in a nutshell. No seniority involved. The most senior guy is treated just like the most junior...

I agree.

I'm also hearing that they don't offer information on domicile or aircraft until you're in class. That makes it a bit more difficult to make an educated decision too.
That's because they don't know what's needed until class starts. Same as a new hire class. Even if you are on the 190 initially, it won't be for very long with 20 retirements per month.

It's true and I also bypassed today via email to Charmane.

-fatburger-

ps. I've talked to 4 or 5 classmates and they all received their letters as well.

Same as a new hire class. Even if you are on the 190 initially, it won't be for very long with 20 retirements per month.
[/quote]

Is there a seat lock involved with recall?

Isn't true we can bypass a recall to the 190 indefinitely? If you don't find out until you get there, how can one avoid 190 FO on recall?

Internet info from a pilot who allegedly spoke with Charmane today indicates about a 20% acceptance rate, which would necessitate approximately 800 queries to receive 160 committments. This would put the junior recall of these 160 into spring '99 as best I can tell, somewhere over 1000 on the APL. And these are rumored to be almost all non-190 positions, so when the 190s are factored in the bypass rate should increase substantially I'd assume.

**Furloughees need to check the hotline regarding a MEC grievance on the recall letters.** Theres a link at USAirwayspilots.org.

I have heard of the indefinite bypass but never seen it in print. Man, it sure would be nice to have a little concrete info to make a decision from: perhaps a copy of the contract, an explanation of bypassing, a recent copy of the APL. Furlough coordinator are you out there?

I have heard of the indefinite bypass but never seen it in print.

"A US Airways furloughed pilot offered recall to a position as an EMB 190 first officer at US Airways or offered a position as an EMB 190 first officer at America West pursuant to Section II., paragraph 6 of this Letter of Agreement, will be entitled to bypass the offer. In other words, he will not be subject to Section 23(I)4. of the US Airways collective bargaining agreement, without prejudice to his right to be offered recall in seniority order to any further US Airways pilot position (including but not limited to an EMB 190 first officer position) or to be hired for any position by America West under this Letter of Agreement."

Transition Agreement Section VIII (A)(5)

Jim

Thank you Jim. We're grateful for the information but -- at the same time -- isn't it sad that the best information provided to the furloughed pilots comes from a retired Captain?

Does ALPA have any suggestions for those who would wish to bypass an E190 position, but possibly accept a recall to a Group 2 airplane?

There's a letter to the furloughees on the MEC public page (hey, in the past they would have put it on the "pilot only" side!!) that talks about a grievence over the recall letters. Unless you can read something into it that I can't, though, it doesn't get that specific. As I read it, it just says to comply with the deadline in the "potential recall" letter to preserve your recall rights.

I don't know if you could tell the company something to the effect of "I pass recall to the E190 F/O but will accept for any other position" or not.

If you're not getting anything from the furlough administrator, you might try contacting the PHL F/O rep since he was furloughed and then at MDA (I think).

Jim

Hi Jim,

The F/O rep in PHL was never furloughed, however, the sec/treas in PHL was furloughed and flew at MDA.

the PHL reps have always been more responsive to the furlough issues than the other bases.

There was a failed recall in DCA over a year ago led by the MDA pilots there who felt that they were not being represented properly. It came close to passing.

The best folks to talk to are the PHL reps, however, they are swimming upstream against a MEC who "just doesn't get it" when it comes to the furloughed guys and there very important issues. The J4J guys and the furloughed guys have really been screwed by this union leadership. The PHL guys are trying hard to do the right thing, but against the rest of the MEC they are swimming upstream.

just my opinion.

Bus Driver
PS Jim (boeing boy) worked tirelessly on the bid closing comm with ALPA and knows the bid process cold. Thanks Jim for all your hard work and volunteer hours over the years.

Bus Driver,

You're positively correct and I was wrong - senility, I guess!!! Dave is the Sec/Treasurer at PHL, not F/O rep.

Hopefully, if any of the furloughed folks have questions that they can't get answered, Dave can get answers.

Jim

There's a letter to the furloughees on the MEC public page (hey, in the past they would have put it on the "pilot only" side!!)
Jim

Hey Jim! Just how do you feel about getting denied access to the ALPA BB's by AAA's Mec, after you Retired?? I had 28 yrs of dues-paying membership, made every contribution to the Furloughed Pilot Fund (perhaps some of whom are on the MEC this day), and this is the "Thanks" we get??

Being "locked out" really is a personal insult to me. How do you view it?? Have other ALPA Airlines done the same to their Retirees??

2B

Back