RIF Notices

I am an OSM sir.
Been waiting on a machinist position since '98.
Already passed the test and was interviewed before a board of 6 big wigs. Was given the noterized credentials as an AMT. Just not the position.
They're allowing machinist that are taking the EO to stay as long as possible because there are no qualified replacements...

They're allowing machinist that are taking the EO to stay as long as possible because there are no qualified replacements...
"Allowing", indeed.

I'd be more than happy for a person upgrading to get my job. The soupervisor asked when I wanted to leave and I told him "Tomorrow would be nice" - that was two weeks ago.

Not sure what AA's logic is but they'd prefer to get "qualified" people from the street rather than promote from within. That may have some manner of logic behind it with reagrd to (mis)management, but for those whose work can't be fixed with an eraser the "reasoning" is lost to me.

Take that as a compliment Frank. There are quite a few guys that wanted to stay that are being shown the door asap. Management feels they won't be missed at all.

Take that as a compliment Frank. There are quite a few guys that wanted to stay that are being shown the door asap. Management feels they won't be missed at all.
I'm really not trying to start a "my-job-is-better-than-yours" argument as do others but perhaps offer a bit of reasoning after I made the other statement.

In a organization that intends to be around a while, the first thing that happens before promoting someone is a search to replace him or her with another competent individual - that's making the assumption there's a pool of competency to choose from.

Big Mac's problem is that he's obviously good at his particular job and any promotion is not forthcoming due to that fact.

"Do not promote" in order to "retain talent", but, by all means, promote those whose performance is "near and below the call of duty" - this gets the losers out of one manager's hair and kicks the can on down the road - a de facto "kicking one upstairs".

Couple that with the tendency to always hire someone that couldn't take the hirer's job due to competence issues and you have a picture of what's wrong with big business all over the USA - not just AA/AMR. The downward spiral has been set up and without radical action (of which there's been none to date), it will continue until an inevitable crash occurs.

Add to that soup a "union" that has mixed it up with management (such as we have), and one has to laugh to keep from crying.

That doesn't make sense. There are at least 30 on the machinist upgrade list. Some fresh out of tech that are qualified according to AAs standards. I have 10yrs machinist exp before hiring on AA and have a AA/TWU letter meeting all qualifications.

Back