Some FA's don't know they got a pay raise.

Part time?

You know they are only paid when the doors are closed, engine turns, wheels in motion.

They board for free, prep the plane for free, etc.....

Reactions: 2 people
700UW said:
Part time?

You know they are only paid when the doors are closed, engine turns, wheels in motion.

They actually get paid flight pay when the plane is pushed off he gate, they are paid something like $3 an hour for prep and boarding; yes that's ridiculios but that's the industry standard just like us getting a .01 cent an hour for shift diff when most get 10% of their hourly pay.

The FA's also get double time that's $112 an hour for the whole day's flying if they volunteer to fly past duty time.

There's good and bad in every contract.

Reactions: 3 people
700UW said:
Part time?

One could argue the cost for this is built into the hourly rate applied when the doors are closed to make accounting easier.  In other words, if the airline were to pay for boarding time, etc., then the hourly rate would likely be less, resulting in no net increase in pay, yet accounting for this would be more difficult.  The "door closing" is a hard time that's easy to measure and track.

The APFA is going through elections, only 9k out of 27k voted, that's sad.

I'm willing to bet the ones that don't vote, don't know they have gotten three raises already.

Reactions: 1 person
It goes to show how the minority of folks are influencing the majority - which means they don't have a mandate

Reactions: 2 people
jcw said:
It goes to show how the minority of folks are influencing the majority - which means they don't have a mandate
Yes, they do.  They were elected by the majority of the flight attendants who care enough to bother to vote.  It's the way a democracy works.  Every eligible person has the right to vote, or to NOT vote.  But, if you don't vote and don't like the outcome...TOUGH NOOGIES.

Most, like Be Careful What You Wish For, would rather direct their energies to whining.  And if the new administration screws up they can say, "I didn't vote for them."

Reactions: 5 people
http://www.forbes.com/sites/douggollan/2016/01/14/seinfeld-redux-are-american-airlines-flight-attendants-saying-no-drinks-for-you-in-first-class/#2715e4857a0b10ba26c5484c

Funny to read - if they want paid for boarding that's easy - start the clock 30 mins before departure and reduce hourly wage for the extra 30 mins - basically they can get paid for it however total comp will not change - once again if you don't like how FA's get paid (methodology or approach) best to find something else to do

Reactions: 3 people
Technically, we do get per diem now for that hour. Some of my coworkers would still complain and not offer PDB's even if we got paid $100 an hour, including the one they claim they don't get paid for. Such is life that some people are just miserable. Go look at our last election. The very vocal MINORITY amongst the F/A group make it seem like the whole group is up in arms at anything AA/APFA. However, if they were we'd have had a whole lot more people voting. Roughly 1/3 of the group found time over the month to spend 5 minutes or less to vote. We must have some seriously busy and overworked coworkers.

700UW said:
Why don't you go work your job for free?
I guess you forget the point that the hourly wage for FA's is calculated based upon several things - the door closing / opening is a very clean methodology. Should FA's get paid less when there are strong headwinds and the flight is longer or paid more when the flight is shorter? Seriously the way time is calculated factors in boarding and deplaning

I have been on the CO FA IAM NC, pay is not calculated in boarding and deplaning, where did you come up with that idea?

jcw, FWIW pay for actual flight time only works in one direction--to the benefit of the f/a.  There is a block time--door close to door opening--assigned to each leg.  If the actual block time is less than assigned time, we still get paid assigned time.  If actual is greater, we get paid actual.  I had a flight last month that was blocked at 3 hours, 45 minutes.  Due to extreme tail winds, we arrived at DFW more than 1 hour early, we got paid 3 hours and 45 minutes flight pay for a 2 hour, 32 minute flight.  (Note to IORFA:  Get ready for the 2nd coming.  Our scheduled arrival gate was not occupied AND there was an agent available to operate the jetbridge!!!   :lol:)

Reactions: 4 people
IORFA said:
Technically, we do get per diem now for that hour. Some of my coworkers would still complain and not offer PDB's even if we got paid $100 an hour, including the one they claim they don't get paid for. Such is life that some people are just miserable. Go look at our last election. The very vocal MINORITY amongst the F/A group make it seem like the whole group is up in arms at anything AA/APFA. However, if they were we'd have had a whole lot more people voting. Roughly 1/3 of the group found time over the month to spend 5 minutes or less to vote. We must have some seriously busy and overworked coworkers.
Along with that our trip rigs starts 1 hr. Before departure.