Southwest business model

Don't look now, but Southwest has always been looking for ways to save money BEFORE they "had" to.

With Forbes indicating that SWA is losing money in a majority of markets what will be the plan? Kelly has also said he is going to whack growth, after he said he was full speed ahead on growth. Interesting flip flop for him. Wonder what else he will say or do that is out of plan?

With Forbes indicating that SWA is losing money in a majority of markets what will be the plan? Kelly has also said he is going to whack growth, after he said he was full speed ahead on growth. Interesting flip flop for him. Wonder what else he will say or do that is out of plan?
Kinda makes you wish UAL leadership would have done a flip flop or two prior two your 3 year bankruptcy run, doesn't it??? Plan...nice word. Some companies follow the plan right over the cliff of bankruptcy. Some companies alter the plan before they reach the cliff. Of course, altering the plan before hitting the cliffs is a bad thing....right????

KC, hope things are going OK in KC. That type of crime is tough for a city. Reminds you of what's important.

Does it really bother you that much that a guy in a Guppy makes more than you do?

Does it really bother you that much that a guy in a Guppy makes more than you do?

"We're the highest-paid narrow-body (jet) pilots in the free world," he said. "I wish we could beat our chests and say SWAPA did that, but it's only because events ... brought everyone else down below us."

SWAPA UNION LEADER

This is from one of the "highest paid" narrow body pilots. Sounds like someone is bracing the troops for some bad news in the very near future. At least someone at SWA get's it. Going to fun to watch the upgrades stop, and with AGE 65 on the horizon thanks to the clowns at SWA, the 5 year timeout and growth cancellation is going to hit some of those SOWWWWEEST pilots in the yapper.

So to answer you question? NOPE. I would demand more money to fly such an ugly plane if I was one them.

A change to 65 will impact SWA pilots far less than the legacy pilot forces for the next few years.

No equipment changes, so no affect on big jet access.

SWA's pilots nearing retirement are relatively few since SWA was so small for so long.

Fewer SWA pilots will work to the full 65. They'll have adequate retirement funding, unlike so many who lost their DBs.

SWA's growth (10.8 pilots/ac) will continue to account for the lion's share of upgrades/hires the forseeable future. That's about 400 hires per year. It'll all reach a point of equilibrium in a few years anyway.

A change to 65 will impact SWA pilots far less than the legacy pilot forces for the next few years.

No equipment changes, so no affect on big jet access.

SWA's pilots nearing retirement are relatively few since SWA was so small for so long.

Fewer SWA pilots will work to the full 65. They'll have adequate retirement funding, unlike so many who lost their DBs.

SWA's growth (10.8 pilots/ac) will continue to account for the lion's share of upgrades/hires the forseeable future. That's about 400 hires per year. It'll all reach a point of equilibrium in a few years anyway.

I disagree entirely with your outlook. The fact that SWAPA was one of the first Associations and pilot groups to jump on the Age65 bandwagon means they will have large portion of their pilot group staying.

The lack of different equipment means no where for the pilots to go to do something different other than sit next to an old man who thinks he is still as sharp as he was when he was 45. With the multiple segments flown on a daily basis by the cowboys turned pilots it will add to a already thin safety margin at SWA.

Also, SWAPA pilots are known in the industry as having the largest ego's of any group. Thin skins and the ability to not accept they are not as sharp as they once were, topped off with a cowboy attitude and lack of respect for FAR's and Ops Specs will highlight this issue.

Going to be interesting to see the lifer F/O's that who thought they would be king of the barney jet sitting next to granpa for additional 5 years. With the pull down in flying and probably no growth due to losses in almost every market SWA pilots are in for a bumpy ride. And to that I can say "gidddeeeup"

KC, just let it go. I concluded a while back that magsau is just a bitter, little (wo?)man. If he wants to believe that SWA is the reason for all that is wrong in his world, then lets let him stew in his own bitter juices. He is coming more unhinged with every post he makes, and people like that just aren't worth the keystrokes. I just laugh at his rants nowadays. :lol:

BTW, it is amazing that in the face of the systemic bafoonery demonstrated here http://www.usaviation.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=35963 by his beloved UAL, that magsau can still talk smack about SWA! :rolleyes:

At least we don't have an entire TV show devoted to our F-UPS. Of course I suppose we post some links to the NTSB for some good ol' SWA HEEHAW flyin'!

no, but there is an entire website devoted to all of the f'up's of united airlines. the website is www.untied.com. I would assume that an attidute like yours generates at least a letter a month. happy reading

Southwest undercut other airlines. New employees and low labor costs, fuel futures and lack of frills allowed them to have a footing in this industry. The other airlines have since adjusted to this scheme, now Southwest will have to cut labor and costs or die. They can do it now and survive or wait for Virgin competition to bury them. I am just the messenger.

nostradamus, would it make you any happier to see SWA file for BK like US Airways and thousands of people take pay cuts or worst yet lose their jobs? Would that make your day? If that were to happen and SWA lowered the bar even below US Airways standards how long would it be before US Air followed suit and did the same thing? Sooner or later its going to effect you AGAIN.

I worked for US Airways for 17 years,from the first BK till the time I finally had enough quit and was hired on with Southwest I was miserable, I wouldnt wish that on anyone. But you seem to get some sort of satisfaction out of it, your not right dude... get help.

no, but there is an entire website devoted to all of the f'up's of united airlines. the website is www.untied.com. I would assume that an attidute like yours generates at least a letter a month. happy reading

HEE HAW Air.
I like your tv show. It makes my case for me and is a good picture on the type of people that ride your airline.

Just remember your SWA pilot that had the blog and trashed UAL? I suppose he is atypical? Nope, I have known a few SWA pilots from my past and not a one of them is someone I would invite over for dinner. The last one I knew drove a vette with a personalized plate about being an SWA pilot. Suprised he did not go for the tattoo across the forehead. But you get the picture. If anything a sports car should be German but how do you get through to the Walmart of the skies pilot?

Latest posts

Back