Special Color Scheme for new US A330-243 jet

If I remember correctly, ETOPS aircraft have to accrue a certain number of non-ETOPS flying hours before becoming ETOPS certified. US initially flew the A330s from PIT/PHL/CLT to the west coast/SJU/MCO for these flights. If this is still true, any ideas what domestic routes the A330-200s might be flown on?

They never made it to LAX/SFO due to gate space issues. SJU and MIA were the main destinations.

SFO would no longer be an issue since we are on the old TWA wing where, back in it's heyday, they would park 747s and L1011s side by side at those gates.

If you only knew. They screwed up the seats royal style. The first two will be delivered with old Envoy 333-300 seats. Upon arrival of the 3rd 330-200 in October, the first delivery will then be pulled offline to be fitted with the sleeper seats that were suppose to go in at Airbus factory. Oh wait, correction. If AFA wins it's crew rest mod arbitration the route will cease according to Kirby. I bet Airbus just can't stand dealing with US. Only Tempe could screw an aircraft design up on the factory floor.

"They", being the vendor, was not able to deliver the Envoy interior on time for installation by Airbus. We need the airplanes and this is the only way we can have them outfitted for TLV by July 1st. Tempe put the big motors, good equipment and a new Envoy design in these airplanes.

Give it a chance.

A320 Driver B)

The only gate at LAX that would fit the 330-200 would be gate 12. I remember seeing some where on here that the 767 Did visit LAX once upon a time at that's where it used to park.

Yes, US back in the day flew a 767 to LAX. Siegel said though that flying a 767 transcon was not profitable, so US pulled it back when he was around.

The 767 was pulled from LAX before Siegel's tenure, it was done under Wolf and Gangwal when PHL to Europe was expanded.

And it was very profitable, the freight ensursed that.

So from what I have been told the 330-200 is slightly smaller than the 330-300. How does the 330-200 compare to the 767?

Basically the A330-200 is a A330-300 minus 17 feet of fuselage. Same wing, bigger engines than our A330-300s and over 70,000 lbs more fuel capacity. Both airplanes share the same maximum takeoff weight. Larger airplane than a 767.

A320 Driver B)

Basically the A330-200 is a A330-300 minus 17 feet of fuselage. Same wing, bigger engines than our A330-300s and over 70,000 lbs more fuel capacity. Both airplanes share the same maximum takeoff weight. Larger airplane than a 767.

A320 Driver B)

The 332's tail is larger - almost 2 feet greater in height and it also has a 12 foot smaller wheel base.

The 767 was pulled from LAX before Siegel's tenure, it was done under Wolf and Gangwal when PHL to Europe was expanded.

And it was very profitable, the freight ensursed that.
It was still flying PHL-LAX in 2002-2003, as I recall from many business trips back and forth. Those Envoy seats made it a great transcon experience.

But half the time the F/A's didn't know how to operate the bank of 8mm decks for the PTVs. And yes, the entertainment guide in the seat pocket said that the full movie selections were available on the 767 for European *AND* transcontinental US flights. More than one F/A was quick to say "Those are only for International trips", despite what the marketing department was promising.....

I think the summer of 2003 was the last time we had them out here. While US could fit them at 4B, & 8 they only used them in gate 12 because otherwise another gate was taken out of service, and SW threw a fit. So it was gate 12 only when USX had gate 14, and the gate 14 jetway was pulled all the way up. Once Trans States left, SW came in and within the hour had reconfigured it. As a result, gate 12 got reconfigured, and the inner jetway was removed - it was originally a dual jetway. One could also fit at gate 13, which was often used when there was still a 767 in from CLT. After all the luggage was pulled off, it was moved to the hangar for RON service.

A rumor from 1 LAX agent was that we move to terminal 2 to accommodate larger A/C .

It would be nice, to leave the thundering herd behind in terminal 1, for our PAX.

Personally, I think it would be in the best interests of US Airways to move into the United Terminal (6 or 7) for US-UA Star Alliance connections. Of course, who knows if United has the gate space or even wants us there! :blink:

Latest posts