Tech Ops Mexico is now reality.

Kev3188 said:
WT--

Count to three and listen:

You... can't... have...it...both...ways...
And please explain why you can't have a facility, out of the country, that was "Already" doing the work, grow that business, while also growing your business at home?

Southwind is that guy sitting at the light waiting on it to turn a better shade of green before moving on.

Or this guy:

http://youtu.be/25A7MBLJoOw

Reactions: 2 people
You ever been to a football game, and there's that guy still singing "...home of the brave" after the first kick is already in the air?
which is apparently your way of failing to recognize that you yourself can't grasp that DL is making a business positive move that is at worst employee neutral and at best will bring in new Jobs for DL employees at DL Tech Ops.

Right. Sending American jobs to a foreign country is a win. Thank you for your service.

Don't cry when there are no more A&P's to hire stateside. Will you be a H1B cheerleader then? Do you worship money?

Reactions: 1 person
The facility wasnt all ready doing the work, it was just built.

DL sends planes all over the world for overhaul and mods, its not done at TOC.

WorldTraveler said:
Dawg is certainly not happy but....

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/delta-air-lines-grupo-aeromexico-140000540.html

the ceremony attracted the President of Mexico.

The facility is the largest aircraft maintenance, repair and overhaul center in Latin America, with its total surface area measuring over 100,000 square meters. Its three hangars can accommodate up to nine aircraft simultaneously. Aircrafts will be serviced with cutting-edge technology and the highest quality and safety standards.

now we can see the impact on DL Tech Ops... which I continue to believe will be positive for DL Tech Ops employees.

DL has developed its partnership with Gol of Brazil (also in which DL owns equity) and the DL name is very apparent at G3's facilities including an identically sized billboard inside GRU to what AA has) as well as on G3 aircraft (something no other US airline has on every plane in another carrier's fleet).

DL's goal with Gol (pun intended) is to increase DL's presence and its revenues for the long haul, not give away what DL could have done elsewhere at perhaps lower upfront costs. The AM maintenance partnership is no different.

I'm more than willing to be proven wrong if that turns out to be the case.
anyone who is a complete and total dumba$$

Kev3188 said:
Except this thread is about DL, is it not?

That's quite a rationale. So are they "controlling the process," or does this really run counter to what you said here:

You can't have it both ways.

its WT. He does whatever Delta tells him. 
Kev3188 said:

You tell us. It's you who in one thread is painting DL as looking out for the American worker, and in another rationalizes just the opposite.
point on. I would love him for to be right about something. 

WorldTraveler said:
you can't grasp that DL was outsourcing this work already... M80s have been going to MEX for years... now the planes will be maintained under a joint venture in which DL can gain something.
Okay, if your going to talk down to people at least be right. the 88 checks are done at GDL. Now, what is Delta (ATL or MSP) going to gain from this? example please
Can you answer the question about what other carriers get any financial gain - including additional inhouse maintenance - from the companies to which they outsource. Profits thru a joint venture?Can you? please show us one contract Delta has gotten because of this JV. Just one

WorldTraveler said:
Kevin,
count to three and listen.

DL isn't moving any jobs in/or out of DL that are being done by US workers.
​yet. you would have to be an idiot to trust them..... 
The airframe overhauls that were being done on these same aircraft were outsourced, some of it by AM in México already, others in other places including Asia. Other carriers outsource to other parts of the world including Central América.
why do you always bring up other carriers? can you please, just once, talk about Delta. 
The AM-DL joint venture hasn't resulted in the loss of a single DL job.
that is arguable. 
but lets just say it hasn't now, but Delta and you are telling MRO carriers, take UPS for example, that they can do airframe work in Mexico cheaper than Atlanta, but with the same quality. Now, as UPS why and I going to send said work to Atlanta? Do you understand the word "potential"? 
When you or Dawg find evidence otherwise, be sure and let me know.
​I don't need to. I have explained it to you many times. You are to hard headed to listen. 

eolesen said:
Opening up a factory in a foreign country is hardly what I'd call a good faith effort towards your employees...

Sure, the work was being outsourced, and you're right that there have been no jobs lost, but you're glossing over the bigger impact.

I'm sure DL will strive to maintain the current balance of work on DL airframes at ATL and QRO, so that there's no further perception of job losses.

The fact is at some point, TechOps will grow the business, and they'll have to decide when take on new work if it is done in QRO or ATL.

The conventional wisdom is they'll chase margin, and the decision to grow in QRO is due to cost being lower. Regulatory oversight will be less because it's offshore, and in general, the labor laws work to the company's benefit.

So... the real impact you're missing is future job growth.

The growth ain't gonna be in land-locked ATL, no matter how you want to try and make an argument for it.

Thank you! Someone who understands 2+2=4. 
WorldTraveler said:
DL has repeatedly said it will grow Tech Ops. If that doesn't happen, then there is a basis to complain.
they haven't. TechOps was suspose to be at the 1B mark years ago. 
and on the airframe side TechOps is darn near out of the game. Other than .gov work the MRO bays are basically picking up some extra DL work. Those bays used to do a good bit of heavy work, very little chance you will ever see it again. 
But Tech Ops is the largest airline MRO in the western hemisphere and no US airline comes even close to the size of insourcing that DL does. DL can grow its MRO business without adding space- and DL does have facilities, including IIRC in MSP.
​no they don't. This is where you lack knowledge but speak anyways. The key areas you crap tossers keep talking about, mainly engines, don't have any room to grow. The engine shop here is out of room....like out of room. done. 
On top of that the Atlanta hangar and back shops are getting to old, and thus small. Delta doesn't have a single test cell that can run a next gen widebody engine. So when GeNX and T1000s replace all those PW4000/CF6s what is Delta going to do? 
I have a feeling its going to be add a test cell in Mexico. 

and MSP has very little backshop space. The engine shop there is full with IAE work, I would bet they will use any space to do the same work on the BR715s. I can't see them being able to find space for it here. 
Further, AA did have the reputation of having the best ratio of maintenance outsourcing but AA is moving aggressively to outsource. It is hard to know where AA will end up but the chances are real high that AA will end up having an outsourcing ratio closer to US' current ration instead of AA's current ratio.
American, United, southwest, UPS, FedEX......how many of them are owned by Delta Air Lines INC? 
Again, I'm not defending that DL does any outsourcing... but DL does insource levels equivalent to about 25% of what DL spends on its maintenance and the whole Mexico deal is about bringing outsourcing to a more central location instead of being spread over multiple companies spread around the world, none of which DL has any chance of gaining any new business from them in return. the thing your not getting in your head is they shouldn't be doing it in Mexico. Atlanta is just fine. 

southwind said:
And please explain why you can't have a facility, out of the country, that was "Already" doing the work, grow that business, while also growing your business at home?

It is amazingly sad you guys buy this line. As i said about, Lets just say UPS picks Delta to do its 767 C-checks, Delta send them to Mexico because of margins(ECON1101 for those who can't figure out why)......how does that benefit Delta employees?

Now what do you genius think will happen if Delta figures out it can do PSVs there cheaper than here? you think this management team is going to keep them in house anyways?

Congrats guys, you just killed long check airframe work for TechOps. Sadly you guys can't even see it.    
I am willing to bet that PSVs start drying up with-in the next 5 years. Maybe fast with West as the COO. 
WorldTraveler said:
which is apparently your way of failing to recognize that you yourself can't grasp that DL is making a business positive move that is at worst employee neutral and at best will bring in new Jobs for DL employees at DL Tech Ops.
I still am waiting on an example of how this will bring jobs here. 

and even if it does bring a small amount of jobs, it still wouldn't even be even close to the ball park of what a big HMV contract would bring

Reactions: 2 people
this all from someone who has repeatedly posted that they want to do airframe overhauls, not engine or componente maintenance (yes, it's the browser autocorrect again).

DL has said it will grow Tech Ops doing what Tech Ops makes Money insourcing (browser capitalizes Money and Market for some reason too) - componente and engine (there it goes again) overhauls, not airframe overhauls.

You haven't proven yet that any Jobs in (thank you for the capitalization, MS and airline forums) ATL would be lost by this venture. If they are, I absolutely want to see evidence of it. Really.

And thanks for the correction regarding GDL and not MEX regarding M88 work.

WorldTraveler said:
this all from someone who has repeatedly posted that they want to do airframe overhauls, not engine or componente maintenance (yes, it's the browser autocorrect again).
what does that have to do with anything? 
and I didn't say i wanted to do overhauls, I'd rather be in the hangar....... not the same thing. 

even with that, the V2500s not being an in-house engine bugs me just as much as the HMVs being sent out. 
DL has said it will grow Tech Ops doing what Tech Ops makes Money insourcing (browser capitalizes Money and Market for some reason too) - componente and engine (there it goes again) overhauls, not airframe overhauls. Proof is in the pudding. 

You haven't proven yet that any Jobs in (thank you for the capitalization, MS and airline forums) ATL would be lost by this venture. If they are, I absolutely want to see evidence of it. Really. I just expand it to you. I don't know how to make it any more clear. 

And thanks for the correction regarding GDL and not MEX regarding M88 work.

Is it really being called TechOps Mexico? wow....what an even bigger slap to the face. Sad day for Delta Air Lines. Very sad day. 

Reactions: 3 people
yes, I noticed that too.

You see the downside and negative. I can't help but think it is part of winning those contracts that DL wants.

I'm a glass 3/4 full guy. Life sometimes gives you lemons but I focus on making the best lemonade out of life. and it has worked for me. I've had my share of challenges like everyone.

BTW, since it is open, can you tell us what aircraft are going down there and for what?

Latest posts