"Tech" or "Mechanic"

aquagreen73s

Veteran
Aug 22, 2005
Is it offenseive to refer to a licensed A&P at a major airline as a "mechanic" or do you all prefer "tech?" Or, do you all care less as long as it's not a stupid write-up and the paycheck clears?

Please discuss.

My ticket says MECHANIC. I prefer aircraft mechanic to tech because EVERYBODY is a technician. Even the girls at the nail salon are called technicians.

Well in most of the rest of the civilized world those in our field are AMEs.

Aircraft Maintenance Engineer.

Consider for a moment the new materials, systems, and technologies being used in commercial aviation. My certificate reads "Mechanic", with that said, I'd say Part:66 needs to be revisted and revised.

JMHO

In the FAA WORLD, We Are A.M.T.'s, Aircraft Maintenance Tech's.
So Be It.
MWW

I guess that makes me a Inflight Safety Tech! I've always called AMT's mechanics. I hope I haven't hurt anyone's feelings, I guess I should start calling them AMT's, or I could just do the Southern thing and call them Honey!

Well in most of the rest of the civilized world those in our field are AMEs.

Aircraft Maintenance Engineer.

Absolutely, however in the USA there is more than meets the eye when it comes to this issue; the federal gov't considers our profession as "unskilled labor". The FAA had a window of opportunity to do something about this, but evidently buckled under pressure from the industry and probably the equal opportunity people. As long as this profession remains in the "unskilled labor" category the industry can justify paying lower wages and will come under funded federal programs that provide training for anyone that thinks they can become an aircraft "mechanic". An example of this occured recently where a cleaner cross trained through one of these programs and became certificated; the cleaner being assigned at a main base would have worked in the hangar to gain experience. Well, when the #### hit the fan and the industry went into a tailspin, "mechanics" started to get laid off. This cross trained cleaner who had 10 years of company seniority bumped into an international line station causing an experienced "mechanic" to get laid off, we also had to wait for the cleaner, who was a single female, to come off maternity leave before starting work.

How about "telephone tech support"?

All we do call them on our cell phones, they tell us to pull a circuit breaker or two and bingo. They could farm this service out to dell in India and it wouldn't make a difference. "OH Hello, my name is ABU, enter your 10 digit airplane code. Thank you come again". AND http://members.aol.com/carytip/apupage/please_d.wav
Is gabby, like airbusy,or embreairy,...... what country are U from!!! If it ain't Boeing I ain't going!!! Is gabby AMERICAN or IRANIAN!!!! :shock:

Mechanic, or more accurately; A&P mechanic.

"Tech" is too broad and watered down over time. Too stilted to my ears.

AMT ( AMTT ) is OK but is really too esoteric a term to take hold. If you've ever gotten tired of correcting people's spoken "US Air" into USAirWAYS you'll know what I mean. Leave it be.

AME: Even though this is a thinking man's game every bit as much as a "doing" game, the term will just not resonate on this side of the Atlantic. Engineers aren't supposed to get their hands dirty here <_<

Latest posts

Back