"Tech" or "Mechanic"

LOL :D Isn't that the truth....

I say engineer....
but since thats not one of the choices you gave us, I'd go with mechanic.
Tech is over-used. Just about everyone and their mother are one. :shock:

I agree, Tech is over-used and maybe a little underrated. They'd never allow a Tradesperson to be called an engineer in this country. Mechanic is OK with me, it's just that all mechanics are not the same and there's no way to differentiate catagories, skills, training, etc..

Oh? And just what part of the Railway Labor Act would that be?
3rd seat... The Act, passed in 1926 and amended in 1936 to apply to the airline industry, seeks to substitute bargaining, arbitration and mediation for strikes as a means of resolving labor disputes.

As far as the technician label....want ads now list your grass cutter as either a landscape or lawn technician.I hope all feel our skills put us out of that class.

Federally licensed,highly skilled aircraft mechanic and damned proud of it.

Same here but doing something completely out of the field making a lot more money with benefits light years ahead of anything the airlines offered then or now, and damn happy the airlines no longer hold the hammer over my head.

One more thing: Thank You IAM for the monthly check I receive. I would also say---thanks for the memories but most were bad and I want to forget and why coming here shows signs of mental illness which is what the airlines did for me, made me insane.

Same here but doing something completely out of the field making a lot more money with benefits light years ahead of anything the airlines offered then or now, and damn happy the airlines no longer hold the hammer over my head.
One more thing: Thank You IAM for the monthly check I receive. I would also say---thanks for the memories but most were bad and I want to forget and why coming here shows signs of mental illness which is what the airlines did for me, made me insane.

Insanity was always there...airlines just brought it to the surface.I found out. :mf_boff:

3rd seat... The Act, passed in 1926 and amended in 1936 to apply to the airline industry, seeks to substitute bargaining, arbitration and mediation for strikes as a means of resolving labor disputes.

As far as the technician label....want ads now list your grass cutter as either a landscape or lawn technician.I hope all feel our skills put us out of that class.

Thank you delldude, I'm quite familiar with the RLA.

The question was rhetorical, if you follow the thread you'll see the poster I was responding to, inferred that its the RLA that labels (AMTs) as unskilled.

How about " Unskilled Labor " as per the Railway Labor Act.

This of course is utter nonsense, which I was calling attention to with my question.

Well in most of the rest of the civilized world those in our field are AMEs.

Aircraft Maintenance Engineer.

Consider for a moment the new materials, systems, and technologies being used in commercial aviation. My certificate reads "Mechanic", with that said, I'd say Part:66 needs to be revisted and revised.

JMHO

No doubt the title of mechanic falls short of the work required maintain the sophisticated aircraft system integrations. I disagree, however, with the rest of the aviation world calling a/c mechanics engineers. The FAA doesn't even require A&P's to be high school graduates.

There are no math requirements above an eighth grade level.

A great deal of aircraft mechanics won't even work on their own cars (a pet peeve of mine)

There is no design or redesign work and if there were, an engineer would have to back it up.

Our core function is to maintain, inspect and repair aircraft I/A/W what the maintenance manuals tell us which means, in the strictest terms, we can't even declare an aircraft airworthy based on experience unless that experience is backed, chapter and verse, by a maintenance manual, MEL or FAA.

Truthfully, we don't have enough decision making power to call ourselves engineers.

No doubt the title of mechanic falls short of the work required maintain the sophisticated aircraft system integrations. I disagree, however, with the rest of the aviation world calling a/c mechanics engineers. The FAA doesn't even require A&P's to be high school graduates.

There are no math requirements above an eighth grade level.

A great deal of aircraft mechanics won't even work on their own cars (a pet peeve of mine)

There is no design or redesign work and if there were, an engineer would have to back it up.

Our core function is to maintain, inspect and repair aircraft I/A/W what the maintenance manuals tell us which means, in the strictest terms, we can't even declare an aircraft airworthy based on experience unless that experience is backed, chapter and verse, by a maintenance manual, MEL or FAA.

Truthfully, we don't have enough decision making power to call ourselves engineers.
" great deal of aircraft mechanics won't even work on their own cars (a pet peeve of mine)"

hey mr fix it auto mechanics got to make a living also

Latest posts

Back