The Airline Problem vs The Union Solution

Necrophilias

Senior
Mar 7, 2006
Give this a quick read.

Unions are the solution, not the problem

By Richard A. Levins

The process of devolving from a middle class society into a banana republic is well under way. The signs are everywhere. Wages, even for college graduates, are falling behind inflation. The number of families in poverty is growing. The middle class debt load is off the charts and the personal savings rate is below zero. The costs of a college education, of health insurance, of energy for heating and driving, and of pharmaceuticals grow out of reach for ever more Americans with each passing day.

What economists call the “income distributionâ€￾ is, from a middle class perspective, as bad as it has been since the Great Depression. During the Roaring 20’s, the split between rich and poor grew exceptionally large, leaving relatively few in the middle class. In the decades following the Depression, things began to change for the better as income and wealth became more evenly distributed. But now we are back to where we were as the nation stood on the brink of its greatest economic catastrophe ever. The very rich are richer than ever, but the rest of us are falling behind at an increasingly rapid pace.

What caused these changes in the balance between a middle class society and neo-Feudalism? The history of labor unions in America gives an important clue. Private-sector unionization was legislated during the Depression. Union membership grew into the mid-twentieth century, then began a slow decline that continues today. Remember the income distribution numbers: a weak middle class in the Depression, a strong middle class in the decades following, and a weakening middle class now. The way these income distribution numbers generally track those for union activity is no coincidence.

Unions equalize power in the market place between those who work for a living and those who own something for a living. Those who work for a living are the stuff of which the middle class is made. Those who own something for a living fill the ranks of the very wealthy. When the balance of power is with labor unions, the gains from production stay with the middle class. When the balance shifts as it has today, the very wealthy take an ever-larger share from economic activity.

As the very wealthy become even more so, they do not spend money in the way middle class people do. After all, how many houses and cars, no matter how fine, can one have? Once people have more money than they can possibly spend on goods and services, they no longer use it in ways that stimulate the economy. Instead, they use the power their money brings to get more tax breaks, less regulation, more support for globalization, and policies that favor capital over labor. The middle class continues to weaken.

In spite of all this, we are told not to worry, because the United States is becoming what some politicians call an “ownership society.â€￾ Instead of supporting unions that bring decent wages to working people, we are advised to buy shares in the corporations that profit when wages are falling. Meanwhile, we ignore the most important part of our economy—we are a great market for goods and services.

The trouble with all strategies that trade good jobs for cheap toasters is that they eventually erode the market for the goods and services being provided. A handful of hyper-wealthy individuals along with millions of people living on the economic edge are not the sound, stable market needed for growth. Only the middle class, with buying power widely distributed, can provide that. And that is what we are losing.

Rebalancing power in the economy is essential if the middle class is to thrive. Doing this, however, will require more than our government alone can reasonably be expected to deliver. We must act together in the market place as well. The way to do that is the way we have always done it—to join and support the unions that built the middle class in the first place.

Richard A. Levins is Professor Emeritus of Applied Economics at the University of Minnesota. His most recent book Middle Class * Union Made (June 2006) is available from Itasca Books at www.itascabooks.com or 1-800-901-3480.

Necro that is so true about the middle class being removed slowly but surely. PTO you wouldnt know anything about unions but let me give youa hindsight. Unions have been able to give their members pretty good money depsite dues but mgmt has ripped it right out of our pockets thru ch11 and the hardball games. Yet all the while union members are losing their money and jobs, mgmt continues to get fatting wallets and fatting paychecks with all of their perks.

Necro that is so true about the middle class being removed slowly but surely. PTO you wouldnt know anything about unions but let me give youa hindsight. Unions have been able to give their members pretty good money depsite dues but mgmt has ripped it right out of our pockets thru ch11 and the hardball games. Yet all the while union members are losing their money and jobs, mgmt continues to get fatting wallets and fatting paychecks with all of their perks.

While presenting his case so eloquently, the Professor Emeritus of Applied Economics couldn't measure up to the insight of PTO. HA HA HA!

When stated best as was the case by Prof. Levins and quoted above, there is no good argument. This is why PTO simply replied "cry me a river".

I love a good read on the economics of greed and corruption. May I recomend Thieves in High Places by Jim Hightower.

What makes me upset is that the unions are in favor of allowing illegals to become legal and to not impede their flow into the US. It creates such a pool of low paid workers that many would willing become scabs. I think the unions are looking to unionize these workers for the sake of dues but all of the negative impact on the rest of the US is being ignored. Not all illegals will become unionized. Not sure whether I have articulated very well what I mean and any response would be welcome.

That's right, CRY ME A RIVER, ALREADY. The whole damn argument is moot. What union is capable of reversing this? There is no solidarity in unionism and all you guys know this. There damn sure isn't any solidarity between the unions themselves now is there? Do you know where the Solidarity is? It's with the companies and the government with your precious unions tagging along. You guys don't stand a chance. The fact that you think you do just goes t show how delusional you really are. If you really want to make a difference you have to wipe the slate clean and start over. Instead you are going to read a book or two and sit there and cry about it.

well we sure as hell know where its not dont we SCAB?
NWA is going to win this strike with AMFA just from the lack of Solidarity from its members and from the other unions. I am glad that you know where it is not local, I would appreciate it if would tell me where it is because it isn't with AMFA either. The members are crossing the line at a greater than we are leaving. To make matters worse a lot of the AMFA Boys that will not cross the picket line are doing their share to ensure a victory for NWA by resigning so that they can have access to their 401K's. This is further reducing the number of AMFA Boys still on strike. Is what is going to eventually happen is that there will not be enough AMFA Boys to vote no in a vote to get AMFA off the property. So I ask again Local, where is the solidarity?

That's right, CRY ME A RIVER, ALREADY. The whole damn argument is moot. What union is capable of reversing this? There is no solidarity in unionism and all you guys know this. There damn sure isn't any solidarity between the unions themselves now is there? Do you know where the Solidarity is? It's with the companies and the government with your precious unions tagging along. You guys don't stand a chance. The fact that you think you do just goes t show how delusional you really are. If you really want to make a difference you have to wipe the slate clean and start over. Instead you are going to read a book or two and sit there and cry about it.

PTO: "The whole damn argument is moot."

Reply: Ah, while enjoying delusions of omnipotence you have voided the thoughts of other people. I tend to agree more with the good Professor Levins.

PTO: "You guys don't stand a chance."

Reply: Hmm? I don't belong to a union but I used to. I always realized the value of a good union in the industrial workplace. Unions are reorganizing and will be strong again. SCABS on the other hand will still be backups for REAL employees!

PTO: "Instead you are going to read a book or two and there and cry about it."

Reply: Firstly I'm not surprised that you object to reading. LOL Regarding your suggestion that I sit and cry about anything, I would point out that my accomplishments in my career, family life and education are significant. I have also posted my name and address on this message board. I stand behind what I say. You on the other hand lack such credibility. I might also add that you would not serve as so much as a carbuncle on a REAL mechanic's gluteus maximus.

PTO:...(Riff-Raff)...Unions are reorganizing and will be strong again. SCABS on the other hand will still be backups for REAL employees!...(More Riff-Raff)...
I find it amazing how you guys continue to attack me instead of the problem at hand. Of all that trash you just wrote the above is the only part that relates to the topic at hand.

"Unions are reorganizing and will be strong again." Really? Which ones? What are they doing that makes you say they are reorganizing? You guys steadily spew this trash out in broad general statements with nothing to back them up. Specifics please?

Sorry but I just can't let this "unions will be stronger" thing go. I am not in MSP so I was not able to verify this but I have no reason to doubt it either. The majority of Original Scabs up there are X-Eastern Mechanics. We have a few here but not enough to make a big deal over. From what they say about MSP, the place is over run with them. Are we not talking about mechanics that are technically still on strike? Striking Union Members crossing the picket line of another union representing the exact same craft? Boy these unions are really on top of their game.

I find it amazing how you guys continue to attack me instead of the problem at hand. Of all that trash you just wrote the above is the only part that relates to the topic at hand.

"Unions are reorganizing and will be strong again." Really? Which ones? What are they doing that makes you say they are reorganizing? You guys steadily spew this trash out in broad general statements with nothing to back them up. Specifics please?
i'll explain why youre being attacked on here. you are a scab. scabs took over AMFA job because AMFA went on strike
SCAB AIR had absolutely no INTENTIONS on NEGOGIATING in good faith and therefore, force AMFA to strike. There was no way in he!! that AMFA was gonna let 53% of its workforce be fired at the hands of the greedy a**holes at the top running SCAB AIR into a cemetery. Secondly, you have admitted that you have no problem being a scab and are quite proud of it. He!! you even boost all about it on here but cant do it quite like it in a UNION MEETING. I am willing to bet that once unions reorganize, as you say, that they will be very good. Teamsters are just one union that is very good. Everyone on here that has posted stuff backs it up you on the other hand cant do it as you dont know how to back it up

Sorry but I just can't let this "unions will be stronger" thing go. I am not in MSP so I was not able to verify this but I have no reason to doubt it either. The majority of Original Scabs up there are X-Eastern Mechanics. We have a few here but not enough to make a big deal over. From what they say about MSP, the place is over run with them. Are we not talking about mechanics that are technically still on strike? Striking Union Members crossing the picket line of another union representing the exact same craft? Boy these unions are really on top of their game.

I will go so far as to say the replying to your own post is bit neurotic. LOL Be patient, somone will reply.

The future of the labor movement in the USA is born not of the past but of change. One case in point would be the Teamsters' decision to break from the AFL-CIO. When I saw this happen I new that recovery was "in motion".

X Eastern Mechanics and NW Mechanics were sacrificed when labor unions fought with raiders and against each other. Think beyond the current airline mess, be progressive and you will see new unions popping up. Here in MN there is a little union taking on Walmart and will some success. WHO'D UH THUNK IT? :)

At the end of the NW debacle I suspect you will feel much like Oenone felt once Helen of Troy burst on the scene.

i'll explain why youre being attacked on here. you are a scab. scabs took over AMFA job because AMFA went on strike
SCAB AIR had absolutely no INTENTIONS on NEGOGIATING in good faith and therefore, force AMFA to strike. There was no way in he!! that AMFA was gonna let 53% of its workforce be fired at the hands of the greedy a**holes at the top running SCAB AIR into a cemetery. Secondly, you have admitted that you have no problem being a scab and are quite proud of it. He!! you even boost all about it on here but cant do it quite like it in a UNION MEETING. I am willing to bet that once unions reorganize, as you say, that they will be very good. Teamsters are just one union that is very good. Everyone on here that has posted stuff backs it up you on the other hand cant do it as you dont know how to back it up

My friend,

Sit back and enjoy the show. If it's a debate the PTO would like, a debate we shall enjoy. Fortunately I'm waiting for some responses and email today. In the process of screwing off this Friday I will enjoy a debate.

Good luck PTO!