The Airline Problem vs The Union Solution

i'll be awaiting too when I get off of work. only scheduled to work from 1330-1730 so that should be sufficient for the brainless to put something on here!!!!!

Thats rather a moot point as long as scum of the earth bottom feeders like yourself are willing to take the bargaining tool and crap all over it.
And that local is what makes it not such a moot point. You must evolve with the current circumstances. In todays world where an individual has the mobilization to transverse the country on a whim you have to adjust your tactics. As every AMFA Scab has pointed out, "We would have been much better off staying on the property than walking off to strike. Our only hope was that you guys screw up." To fight a war with your only weapon being hope is ignorance beyond belief.

took 8hrs to change a tire on one of my flights.
This sounds to me like another, "How many mechanics does it take to change a light bulb?" story. I don't doubt that you flight was delayed for eight hours over a landing gear issue but I do doubt the eight-hour tire change. In comparison you can say it took me five hours to install a hubcap. A simple enough task right? Should have taken all of twenty minutes including delivery, paperwork and BS-ing with the crew. What? Parts NIS DTW? No big deal I'll defer it. HHHHMMMMM, no deferral relief for a missing hubcap. Now I get to sit around and wait on a flight to bring one in. PTO gets his part, now what? This is just the hubcap, I ordered an assembly. Now I have to put on the gutless hubcap and defer the anti-skid and other related shet. These are in-depth DDG's that require yet more time. So Jenny@NW do you see how the simplest shet can get out of hand? So I seriously doubt that your simple tire change was in fact a simple tire change. I think it is more like eight hours of ignorance on your part as to what was going on.

PTO,

You agreed to a debate with me and it isn't over so leave those souls alone and respond to my "specifics" which were requested by you.

And that local is what makes it not such a moot point. You must evolve with the current circumstances. In todays world where an individual has the mobilization to transverse the country on a whim you have to adjust your tactics. As every AMFA Scab has pointed out, "We would have been much better off staying on the property than walking off to strike. Our only hope was that you guys screw up." To fight a war with your only weapon being hope is ignorance beyond belief.

Allow me to be your personal thesaurus, dictionary and English prof.

"Transverse" is not at active verb. In it's most common uses "transverse" will appear as a noun or adjective.

Peregrinate: To travel over or in a specfic sense walk. Peregrinate would better serve your intended use.

Your welcome and I'm glad that I could be here for you.

A/C maintenance concerns as stated by FAA Inspectors and union mechanics.

Well I must say that this is at least an unbiased report. Very unusual coming from the pro-union media around here.

The union that represents Federal Aviation Administration inspectors says more FAA personnel are stepping forward and raising safety concerns about Northwest Airlines. A Twin Cities-based inspector wrote to FAA management three days into the strike, alleging maintenance errors by Northwest managers and replacement workers. The FAA says the airline is safe and no other inspectors have come forward with similar concerns.

This is nothing that wouldn't be expected in this situation.

St. Paul, Minn. — Just a few days into the now nearly three-week-old Northwest Airlines mechanics strike, FAA inspector Mark Lund wrote a memo to FAA management sharply criticizing the maintenance work of some replacement employees and management mechanics.
This is also to be expected, no big deal.

Minnesota Public Radio News obtained a copy of Lund's memo from a source close to the situation, and the FAA has authenticated the document.

OOOOOOOOOH, Authenticated.

Lund cited numerous incidents of maintenance errors.
Inspector's recommendations

What about the following list is a recommendation?

-- A manager unable to conduct an engine test of an A-320 aircraft, because he can't find the correct switches on the instrument panel.

I don't find this terribly unusual especially with managers that were not allowed on the aircraft for years because the AMFA Contract wouldn't allow mangers to work on aircraft. When we first got here the mangers were having a ball because they actually got to work on the aircraft for once without having a grievance filed.

-- A replacement worker trying to assess the condition of brake wear pins. but unaware the brakes must be engaged for a proper inspection.

Wow!!! I think we should shoot him or burn him at the stake. When I do my walk around I start at the nose and one of the first things I look at is the nose gear to see if the brakes are set. If so good, if not I will continue my walk-around. When I get to the brakes and there is a shet load of pin showing on each I call them good. If there is one that is close I will then go up and set the brakes then put a scale on it.

-- Repairs on a DC-10 wing fuel tank completed without a Northwest-required "OK to close" inspection. The omission was discovered, the tank was reopened, and the inspection completed.

Was this a mechanics error or a paperwork error that didn't show an RII was required? There is a lot of stuff that goes on here that does not require inspection that would require inspection at an MRO. If it wasn't on the paperwork I can see where the mechanic would close it up with out inspection.

-- A Northwest manager planning to allow a DC-10 to fly to Hawaii, even though human waste from a damaged lavatory duct had spilled into an electrical equipment bay housing flight and navigational components. The FAA intervened and ensured the plane was cleaned and checked.

Now this was pretty stupid. Probably got snitched out by a Scab.

Lund's memo coincided with a big increase in the number of Northwest planes out of service early in the strike. The company's Web site now indicates the number of planes out of service has declined significantly, and is lower than it was before the strike.

AOS aircraft were beginning to pile up before the strike and did indeed continue into the strike. We eventually got around to taking care of them though as we found parts and tooling. ;)

Several people have come forward stating that they are concurring with what inspector Mark Lund is saying.

Several people huh? FAA inspectors, AMFA, AMFA Boys, Scabs, Bums on the street, little elves? Who the hell is several people?

Goodrich says numerous FAA inspectors assigned to Northwest and other carriers continue see the same maintenance shortfalls at Northwest that prompted Lund to write his safety memorandum.
This is better, where are the reports? What do they mean by "other carriers"?

"Several people have come forward stating that they are concurring with what Mark is saying," says Goodrich. "And they, too, want attention to safety, and they're raising the concerns through the proper channels."

Back to the "several people" thing. Exactly what are the "proper channels". If all this were true wouldn't the "several people" at the "proper channels" have shut NWA down by now by using the other "several people" at the other "proper channels"?

But FAA spokesman Greg Martin says none of the agency's other roughly 80 full-time inspectors assigned to Northwest have contacted agency management to express concerns similar to those in the Lund memo.

So is the 80 or so FAA inspectors bought off by NWA or is Lund bought off by AMFA? Maybe he just has his own personal grievances with NWA or simply trying to make a name for himself.

"We have received no reports similar in content or scope of Mr. Lund, or anything to indicate that Northwest is not flying in a safe and airworthy manner," says Martin. "Certainly I can't confirm what the union may or may not have received, other than it would probably be more helpful, and in everybody interest, that if they are receiving such reports that they would submit them to us."

Now there's an idea. So much for "proper channels".

Martin says Northwest's operations are safe. He says the FAA has not changed its oversight of the airline since receiving Lund's list of concerns.

Next quote please...

Martin says Lund's memo and complaints about Lund from Northwest triggered extensive investigations by both the FAA and the Department of Transportation's Office of Inspector General.

What the hell? Which is it?

One inquiry is examining Lund's safety claims. The second is looking into allegations from Northwest that Lund, himself a union activist although not affiliated with Northwest's mechanics union, has acted unprofessionally and intimidated Northwest's replacement workforce.

Now we are getting to the meat of the matter. You have no idea how many times the FAA reamed us for not installing gear pins while performing a tire change. You would have thought the world was coming to an end. Do you know how often the AMFA Scabs use gear pins when changing a tire? None! They thought we were crazy for insisting gear pins be installed before jacking the aircraft. Their response, "The FAA never said a word about it before, I have been doing this for twenty years and have never installed gear pins to change a tire."

Linda Goodrich from the union that represents Lund and other FAA inspectors says documenting maintenance concerns through the normal channels does not appear to be getting FAA management's attention, and she expects frustrated inspectors will soon take their complaints to the next level.

Well have they? We should have heard something by now.

...filing a letter of investigation, notifying the facility that you're investigating a particular problem. And that leads to a potential enforcement action and I know that that's where they're at now," says Goodrich. "They're starting to fill out the paperwork getting into the next phase, because the carrier's not changing the way they're doing their business."

The FAA says it hopes to have a clearer understanding of the various claims Lund and Northwest management have made by sometime next week.

What the hell? It has been nine months, where is all the good shet?

Allow me to be your personal thesaurus...Your welcome and I'm glad that I could be here for you.
Thanks for the assist Necro, I'll try to do better next time.

You are home a bit early.

-- A Northwest manager planning to allow a DC-10 to fly to Hawaii, even though human waste from a damaged lavatory duct had spilled into an electrical equipment bay housing flight and navigational components. The FAA intervened and ensured the plane was cleaned and checked.

WOW I sure feel safe flying NWA. Thanks for verifying your lack of character and ethics and overall reminding us why NWA is not safe.....

Plus allowing a plane smelling like shet to Hawaii... that's really pathetic.

I'm sure the pilots complained. Who wants to be stuck in the cockpit smelling shet all day.

Well I must say that this is at least an unbiased report. Very unusual coming from the pro-union media around here.
This is nothing that wouldn't be expected in this situation.
This is also to be expected, no big deal.
OOOOOOOOOH, Authenticated.

What about the following list is a recommendation?
I don't find this terribly unusual especially with managers that were not allowed on the aircraft for years because the AMFA Contract wouldn't allow mangers to work on aircraft. When we first got here the mangers were having a ball because they actually got to work on the aircraft for once without having a grievance filed.
Wow!!! I think we should shoot him or burn him at the stake. When I do my walk around I start at the nose and one of the first things I look at is the nose gear to see if the brakes are set. If so good, if not I will continue my walk-around. When I get to the brakes and there is a shet load of pin showing on each I call them good. If there is one that is close I will then go up and set the brakes then put a scale on it.
Was this a mechanics error or a paperwork error that didn't show an RII was required? There is a lot of stuff that goes on here that does not require inspection that would require inspection at an MRO. If it wasn't on the paperwork I can see where the mechanic would close it up with out inspection.

AOS aircraft were beginning to pile up before the strike and did indeed continue into the strike. We eventually got around to taking care of them though as we found parts and tooling. ;)
Several people huh? FAA inspectors, AMFA, AMFA Boys, Scabs, Bums on the street, little elves? Who the hell is several people?

This is better, where are the reports? What do they mean by "other carriers"?
Back to the "several people" thing. Exactly what are the "proper channels". If all this were true wouldn't the "several people" at the "proper channels" have shut NWA down by now by using the other "several people" at the other "proper channels"?
So is the 80 or so FAA inspectors bought off by NWA or is Lund bought off by AMFA? Maybe he just has his own personal grievances with NWA or simply trying to make a name for himself.
Now there's an idea. So much for "proper channels".

Next quote please...
What the hell? Which is it?

Now we are getting to the meat of the matter. You have no idea how many times the FAA reamed us for not installing gear pins while performing a tire change. You would have thought the world was coming to an end. Do you know how often the AMFA Scabs use gear pins when changing a tire? None! They thought we were crazy for insisting gear pins be installed before jacking the aircraft. Their response, "The FAA never said a word about it before, I have been doing this for twenty years and have never installed gear pins to change a tire."
Well have they? We should have heard something by now.
What the hell? It has been nine months, where is all the good shet?
Thanks for the assist Necro, I'll try to do better next time.

You are home a bit early.

I'm leaving in 30 minutes. This will be a late night. LOL

"Where's all the good shet"? Err...there will be more tomorrow. This was only a start.

I agree with you 100% here but it is going to take the people/members to get rid of them. Even with the distrust people are going to have a hard time letting them go. Lets take Kev for example (no pun intended here.) He and his co-workers all know that they belong to a Scab Union yet I have heard nothing on the property of the ramp getting rid of the IAM. They might #### and grumble about them but they will never take the steps to eradicate them.

Wrong again.

I agree that it's easy to be complacent (after all, up until about 2 years ago, things were not bad, on the whole).

Having said that, there are a lot of people working for change, including me. You may not be seeing it, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

As I've stated before I believe, this latest round of failure from the IAM leadership will be the clarion call people need to wake up. I only hope it's not too little, too late.....

......and just how long did that engine change take again???
If you're really bored read Burrrr It's cold. You should get a kick out of it.

Wrong again.
...As I've stated before I believe, this latest round of failure from the IAM leadership will be the clarion call people need to wake up. I only hope it's not too little, too late.....
I really do hope it works out for you guys Kev.

Quick question, do you think the IAM would have ever let this go to a strike for you guys?

Latest posts