To deny passengers boarding

john john

Veteran
Contributor
Sep 12, 2004
Agents have a lot of responsibility to act in certain situations
Bottom line what we do ends up on the airplane. Agents don't always have the support of management in troubleling situations unlike flight attendants and front end crew who almost always back each other up. We all have been burn before. I wonder how management flight crews and the media would have reacted if the gate agents would of denied them( North American Imams Federation)boarding. To deny passengers boarding you better have a good reason are management will put YOU in the hot seat WITH NO SUPPPORT….
People of size unusual smell apparel and looks
Emotional support animal (nursing Chihuahua, pigs)
Excess carryon
Drunkest
Passengers with medical problems
Out of control behavior for what ever reason (when management/police is call they turn into modal citizens)
Did I leave any thing out?

Well, to be honest, you should have a good reason to deny boarding to a passenger. I'm missing what the issue is here. If there's a solid reason why you won't let someone on, there should be no issue. If you're making stuff up or blowing things out of proportion, then we have a problem.

one time in Key West I had a customer come up to the counter with a TURTLE with a USAir bag tag on its "paw" that said "Service Animal".

She said she will NOT fly without it... I would have DB'd her, but needed to find a good reason.

I looked in every manual to see if we could allow it, FOCUS, etc... eventually had to call the regional director and he was baffled by it.

We eventually spoke to the captain about it and he said he will allow it -- the problem is USAirways policy was NO reptiles allowed on the aircraft, anywhere, while the ADA had guidelines about service animals, and I couldn't find in Focus anywhere that required a note from a doctor (my thinking was we needed a letter from a doctor or psychiatrist stating the turtle was, in fact, a service animal).

Only reason this was wierd - a few days earlier one of my agents got a phone call asking if they can check a turtle as checked luggage to ILM.

What is a good reason
The passenger or the employee

1. The Company should be defining this. I have to believe there's a list somewhere.

2. Either. I've seen absurd efforts on the part of passengers to get stuff by, but I've also seen gate agents go on power trips for no apparent reason. Clear policies are what keeps either in check.

Get the supervisor to handle it. With the still limited staffing at times, I dont have time to sit and discuss and debate what I think might be a problem while the line continues to grow. If there is something that isnt right in my eye, I advise the supervisor and let them handle it and make the call. Meanwhile, I continue doing my job checking people in. If the supervisor feels things are ok, then they can document that they let whatever it is go. I brought it to their attention and the final say is up to them since they have had more training and info on difficult situations.

I dont have time to sit and discuss and debate what I think might be a problem while the line continues to grow. handle it and make the call. Meanwhile,
Meanwhile I must make the time and it is my job. Don't sell yourself short.
I won't hesitate to get management involved just want their support

1. The Company should be defining this. I have to believe there's a list somewhere.

2. Either. I've seen absurd efforts on the part of passengers to get stuff by, but I've also seen gate agents go on power trips for no apparent reason. Clear policies are what keeps either in check.
Now you get my point

I agree with TADJR.. I was the supervisor dealing with this problem and even Jasmine at help desk was stumped by it (who later called me back to tell me we have to allow the passenger).

The only reason I made a stink about it is an agent received a call earlier in the week from a woman traveling to ILM who wanted to bring her turtle with her and we told her we can't ship reptiles as cabin pets or checked luggage.

And now, here she is at our counter, with a name tag on its claw that says "Service Animal".

Pass it on pass it on pass it on

If the supervisors arent there to handle the problems so we can continue to work the line, why do we have them? They have been to more training and have better info to handle odd situations. This takes it out of the "power trip" agents hand and also lets them do their job. If you consider this "passing it on", then so be it. I consider it the next step if I am uncomfortable with it. I am also not saying that I dont have a problem denying someone who is definitely intoxicated or shows other severe problems, but there are those gray area cases that the supervisor is going to have to get involved in anyway so might as well let them handle it from the start instead of playing catch up.

Nothing unusual for US supes to override an agent - US teaches teamwork so well!

A few of those stunts, and you dump it in Mr./Ms high-n-mighty's lap quick. Who's getting paid enough for the drama?

Regarding snakes, the funniest thing I saw was when TSA opened a checked bag for inspection, and the dude had his snakes tied off inside pillow cases inside the bag.

You could hear the TSA guy scream in the next county!

My pet skunk,named Stinky, should also be allowed in the cabin as a "service" animal. Nothing beats a skunk as protection animal.

Nothing unusual for US supes to override an agent - US teaches teamwork so well!

A few of those stunts, and you dump it in Mr./Ms high-n-mighty's lap quick. Who's getting paid enough for the drama?

Regarding snakes, the funniest thing I saw was when TSA opened a checked bag for inspection, and the dude had his snakes tied off inside pillow cases inside the bag.

You could hear the TSA guy scream in the next county!

I would've loved to have seen that.

Latest posts