Twu Pro-union Local

Opus said:
Proamfa, you asked me acouple of days ago, sorry for the delay in getting back here, when amfa could have sandbagged this. Do you remember when NWA asked for the 30 day cooling off, the first time. Well amfa opposed that and they should not have, NWA was not ready they knew amfa would oppose and they were only laying legal ground work, had amfa said sure 30 day cooling off is just fine with us I dont think NWA would have been ready in any way and I should know I was in training on NWA computer systems at that very time.

I have been very concerned about some comments on here, things are being said things like..... the pilots and F/A are saying how horrible it is at NWA and how unsafe they feel ect ect ect. I am not lying or telling untruths here, I talk to pilots and the stews and I dont get any of this, I have gotten hand shakes and many thank yous and compliments on maintenance ect. I dont want ANYONE feeling unsafe on my aircraft. I dont understand the disparity in what you say you are hearing and what I am being told and what I am seeing and experiencing. There are afew stews that are not happy with the union situation and they will openly tell you that and I understand that but they will also tell us that they are happy with the maintenance they are getting because no matter how trivial the write up it gets immed. attention. So I dont understand why you guys are getting one story and I am experiencing something completely different.
To everyone, I hope we can return the conversation to a real conversation instead of degrading it to simplistic name calling.
[post="311113"][/post]​

Here Opus, these are a few of the NWA FA's reporting how great the scab maintenance progrom is working. Sounds to me like some of them are concerned for their saftey, and they should be.

Received: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 04:20:12 +0000

I wanted to share an incident I had with a replacement worker and to let you know that you are not forgotten by the flight attendants. Upon routine walk around of the A/C by the F/O a hydraulic leak was found and logged in the maint. log book. After a delay the scab returned and stated that he had tightened the seals and that they were signing off for us to go. The F/O decided to do another walk around. Upon the second walk around he noticed that not only was the leak NOT fixed but that it was leaking worse than his initial report stated. He was quite angry as were the flight attendants- we refused the aircraft. I am outraged that this scab was going to let an aircraft leave with a hydraulics leak.
This incident was reported to the chief pilot, FAA and a ASR report was filed I also reported it to the inspector generals office for the DOT. I also sent a detailed copy of the incident to my senators and governor. I have downloaded your NASA report and will fill that out ASAP.
Stay strong guys we are pulling for you~ we are all in the same sinking ship. Damn the man!

Received: Thu, 06 Oct 2005 17:04:09 +0000

Aft. Fwd. Facing Flight Attendant jumpseat INOP. This jumpseat, Flight Attendant position C, is a minimum crew position, minimum F/A crew A-319 is three. With only two jumpseats in the Aft. section of the aircraft an aisle passenger seat in the last row must be designated " For Flight Attendant Use Only."

Upon boarding the aircraft a noticed a "replacement worker" in the flight deck checking the logbooks. As I went about performing my pre-flight safety check, I noticed the aft. fwd. facing F/A jumpseat was wrapped in red tape. I went to the back of the aircraft to check to see if a passenger seat had been designated for Flight Attendant use. No seat had been placarded. I went forward to speak to the "replacement worker". The man spoke broken english, his first language being spanish. I tried to explain the situation to him, however it was difficult due to his limited understanding of the english language. The man told me that mechanics don't put placards on seats to designate them for Flight Attendant use only, he said that it was the Flight Attendant's responsibility. I told him that it was standard operating procedure with Northwest Airline Mechanics and that he'd better check the MEL book. He brought out the book and showed me MEL Item # 25-22-01B, which was! the item listed in the cabin logbook. The description of this item did not mention minimum crew positions. I told him that there must be another section and I tried to turn the page. He put his hand on the book and stopped me from turning the page, saying, "oh no, this only thing." I told him to call a supervisor. Just then the First Officer boarded the aircraft and I told him that as soon as he was settled in the flight deck that I needed to talk to him. I explained the situation and the F/O agreed. Shortly thereafter a supervisor came to the aircraft along with the original "mechanic", the first officer pointed out the correct MEL Item # 25-22-01A and explained that a passenger seat had to be placarded with specific terminology "FOR FLIGHT ATTENDANT USE ONLY". The original mechanic was sent back to placard the seat, while his supervisor corrected the entry in the logbook to reflect the proper MEL item number. His first attempt with placard number 040749 said, "Exlusive Only Use Flight Attendant." (notice the spelling "Ex-Lusive"). In addition the placard was loosely stuck to the headrest o! f the seat. I informed the F/O that the placard was wrong and that it was already falling off. I had to call the "replacement worker" back just as he was leaving the jet-bridge. The F/O again told him that the placard had to have the specific terminology stated in the MEL book. As he was going to the back of the aircraft to change the placard we asked him, "Do you want us to hold boarding." to which he respond, "Any-tyne." Obviously, he did not understand the question. After he was done I went back to check the placard, this time it said, "Use Only Flight Attendant." I went forward to report this to the F/O. By this time the original "replacement worker" had left so our F/O had to radio for another "mechanic". A third "replacement worker" showed up this time and the correct terminology was used , but the placard was again stuck to the headrest and was peeling off. I asked the "mechanic" to use tape so that the placard would not fall off, but I was ignored. The logbbook page number listed on the placard was 9790007. The incorrect write-up was done on Oct. 2, 2005 and was not corrected until the afternoon of Oct. 3,
2005. This was a fairly simple write-up, but a delay was caused by incompetence. It is a sad day when Flight Attendants have to instruct "mechanics" in proper MEL procedures.

Additionally, Flight Attendants have had to show these "replacement workers" how to open cabin access panels, such as the clear panel in the galley ceiling of the Airbus. I had one "replacement worker" board a 757 and ask me what kind of A/C it was. He entered the plane at door 2L, however when he came out of the flight deck and saw that 1L was closed he began to panic thinking that we were pushing with him onboard. I had to point him to the door through which he had entered .

Received: Thu, 6 Oct 2005 22:26:56 +0000

Hello Friends,
I am more sorry than I can say that you are still on the picket lines. I will continue to picket whenever I'm off duty, I did so enjoy the time we spent at ***** ***** house on Tuesday. The incidents of mechanical delays and f***-ups are enumerable. I agree with the earlier FA's that I am in fear for my life on a daily basis and truly wish that we had walked with you.

Just to tell a few 1.)First week of strike: engine temp. gauge showing overheating--several hours of "troubleshooting" with a huge group gathered around plane finally led to a manager coming and MEL-ing it after they wired something closed. He had to help them do the paperwork and he said that everything was going down the tubes. He was fed up then; I can't imagine
that he's still at the airline. 2.) Had a plane in LAX that had not had its regular inspection (I'm not sure what it's called) and the pilot refused to go anywhere until that was done. Pilot commented that this had been happening frequently lately. 3.) Toilets are being over-filled and it is going all over the aircraft on takeoff and landing. As you can imagine, this causes the plane to be taken out of commission. The scab cleaners run around trying to find outlets for the wet-dry vac and it's pitiful. 4.) Pilot told me on 10/2/05 that he just did a Maui trip out of Seattle and the mechanic told him that they were 5 days behind on paperwork. Another pilot on the same flight said that the company was threatening the pilots with private investigators and warning them about any comments about maintenance.

There are so many instances of bizarre behavior and incompetence with the scabs that it's impossible to remember them all. It happens almost every day. It seems to me that they just MEL everything they can and then try to catch up on the big stuff at the hangar. I think the only thing that saves them is all the extra planes. I have not seen a scab fix anything, except a light bulb or something like that. They don't even do simple things right---you should have seen the lav the other day--he sealed the entire door with tape and then taped across the front. You would think it was a crime scene. In addition, he could hardly speak English. I love people of the world, but I do think that they should be able to understand our logbook write-ups and directions. The managers are the only ones that seem to be able to actually accomplish anything and if you don't have one, then it takes FOREVER.

In regards to the pilots denying us the logbook--this hasn't happened to me in a couple of weeks. Besides, it doesn't work with me anyway. It is the "FLIGHT ATTENDANT MAINTENANCE LOGBOOK" and is therefore my responsibility to the FAA and that is what I say. It's a rare pilot who will face you down on that one.

Good luck to you all, I hope to see you all back to work very soon.

Received: Thu, 6 Oct 2005 17:35:38 +0000
The Stress is unbelievable! I too want to retire or quit- unfortunately that is not an option with only one paycheck coming in. The only reason I'm still working is for the insurance. I pray and suggest that for each and every family that has their eggs in one basket.. Move them to another pan before they get burned.

Stay Strong, support each other, and NEVER go to bed feeling regret for what your fighting for. My only regret is that our union did not have the strength that you all did.

Received: Wed, 5 Oct 2005 12:22:01 -0500

"I pray... I pray a lot. It is very scary out there, but nothing surprises me. I have seen where it took SIX scabs to replace a coffee maker and I don't remember ever seeing that in almost 20 yrs. It's hard when you leave for work and your 9 yr. old daughter says BE SAFE MOMMY."
I hope some of that sounds familiar to you as I reported this to Fox 9 news on Sunday. I only wish they would have put EVERYTHING I said on the air, however that would have been a 1 hour segment! I was asked what would make me feel safe on the job now.......that was a simple uneducated answer. "Northwest (the scum that they are) need to bring back our skilled mechanics. The people that took pride in their job and I felt SAFE." I support you guys 100% and I will continue to have my eyes and ears open to report such things to the media. "People can not just turn their heads anymore."

Received: Tue, 4 Oct 2005 02:18:17 +0000

I just wanted to say farewell and good luck with your fight against the rotten corporate machine that's crushing our once great company. I chose to take early retirement (after 18 years of airborne insanity - yes, I'm now a flight attendant with clipped wings :~) rather than cross your picket line. The thought of flying around in winged tubes being serviced by scabs - who, by the way, don't get to experience the creepy thrill ride at 35,000 feet as the ultimate test of their maintenance "skills" - makes my skin crawl to the point where I don't even want to ever use my well deserved pass-ride retirement benefits. How ironic.

You are the best of the best. Don't sell your souls to the corporate Devil Dogs, who are setting the bar so low, it's almost comical. Hold your ground, and please know there are those of us who have the utmost respect and admiration for your agenda.

And by the way, I was VERY happy to hear you've hired someone to nip at the heels of Steenland and cronies. Let's hope he can expose the financial shell games they've been playing at the employees' expense. Can you spell J-A-I-L T-I-M-E? A girl can dream, can't she?!!

Received: Mon, 3 Oct 2005 09:21:51 -0500

I am an NWA Flight Attendant. A couple of weeks ago I was scheduled to work a flight to Amsterdam. We were delayed almost three hours due to an electrical problem. While we waited on board for the problem to be fixed, we watched at least six scab mechanics and a couple of
managers in the back of the aircraft with a ceiling panel open. One had a book open the others were standing around scratching their heads. it was quite alarming to see this many mechanics on board. The problem must have been quite serious.

Three hours later the log book was signed off and away we went to Amsterdam. Well we got up into the air and the reading lights started blinking on and off throughout the whole aircraft. This was a night flight. The passengers were freaking out. They had been notified in the gate area of the electrical problem. One man was so irate he demanded the the captain land the plane. So what did the captain do? Sent the Second Officer back. He was out of the cockpit for over an hour ( I timed it). He was in the back of the aircraft near the galley with a ceiling panel open resetting circuit breakers. In a post 9/11 environment a pilot should ONLY be leaving the cockpit to use the lavatory, not to do double duty as a mechanic. It was extremely disturbing not only to the crew, but to the passengers.

The Second Officer finally pulled enough circuit breakers for the reading lights to remain either in an on or off position and they stayed that way for the remainder of the flight. Some passengers whose lights remained in the on position for eight hours were extremely upset, because they wanted to sleep. The crew was amazed that the Captain continued on to Amsterdam. Just the perception that the problem really hadn't been fixed really looked bad.

This is one of MANY stories that I have witnessed since the mechanics went on strike. Northwest has done an amazing job putting spin the
their side of the story. The real truth is not getting out there! I go to work with a tremendous amount of anxiety that was not there
before the strike started. WE WANT OUR EXPERIENCED MECHANICS BACK TO WORK! What is it going to take a catastrophe? I am afraid so!

Received: Sun, 2 Oct 2005 19:35:25 -0600

as usual the new tactic to discourage write-ups involves the pilot group. (Shame on You) I have been on several flights now where we had
write-ups and the pilots would not give us the maintenance book until after we landed, thus we would be writing up maintenance issues while passengers were deplaning or at the end of the day while they would jump out of the cockpit and sail home. New antics to try and dissuade fa's..

Needless to say it is frustrating and is being reported (at least by me) to the whistleblower program. There is no reason to delay these write-ups and continue to be intimidated!

The work environment is absolutely poisonous, NWA is making a huge mistake by harassing and intimidating their employees and it will be THEIR down fall.

I am outta here!
Good luck to all!

Received: Sat, 1 Oct 2005 23:21:51 EDT

....wrote up two aft flashlights that had been used. The scab had to ask us, the flight attendants, "Do I need to replace the whole flashlight or just the plastic strap?" This is not the only instance I've heard of scabs asking f/a input on what to do. This, however, was my firsthand experience. Doesn't inspire confidence. By the way.. I voted "YES!" to support the strike. Take care.. I'm out of here on the 31st !

Received: Sat, 01 Oct 2005 17:21:07 +0000

I was hit in the chest as I tried to exit the galley. I have taken this all the way to the top with NWA and am waiting for their response...the scab was Larry Anderson based in MEM...Am fed up with the thugs NWA has hired...if I do not get a response that Larry Anderson has been fired....or better yet...I will go national with this. Detroit free Press...or the MSP paper....I am committed to this....how dare a scab strike me!

Received: Sun, 25 Sep 2005 23:58:12 EDT

Trust me things are not as rosy as Northwest acts.

My first trip back after your strike was a 5 day. We were late 100% of the time. And I have had a major delay on every trip since then. There is no such thing as a small mechanical now. Any flight deck write up I have been onboard for takes 3-4 hours to fix. Also, the mechanics inexperience is costing Northwest money. For example, our pilots wrote up a radio component that needed to be replaced. The pilot informed us it would take no more than 15 minutes to replace the part (it was sitting in the jetway). The "mechanics" forgot to turn off the power before beginning work and fried an entire system on the plane. Our 15 minute fix lasted 4 hours. A management mechanic was finally sent to work on the plane. On another day the pilots wrote up a CIDS caution light on the f/a panel on an A320. I have seen you guys resolve the same problem in about 10 minutes. Now it seems to take 3 "mechanics" for every write up. One to read the manual, one to look at the problem and one to speak to maintenance control over the radio for instructions on how to fix the problem. This write up was no exception. They ran the diagnostic and trouble shooted for over an hour. Finally, a manager mechanic arrived and resolved the problem in about 10 minutes. My last trip my entire crew was pulled to recrew a plane with a mechanical. The other crew had gone illegal. After we recrewed it the delay was over 5 hours. They never did fix the problem so we were given another plane. We arrived at our destination at 3 am local time.
Hang in there. We haven't forgotten you guys!!

Those are some very interesting stories. I have even seen some of these foul-ups myself. However some are pretty laughable also.

I like the one where the F/O pulled the circuit breakers to the point that some reading lights would not come on and some wouldn't turn off. I wish she had stated the type of aircraft. I know that there are some controllers out there that will leave the current setteings locked in once power is removed from the controller, I haven't seen them installed on any aircraft reading light system.

I find it strange how the F/A's get upset when the manual is broken out and how you guys get upset when it is not.

I missed the interview with the F/A. I heard about it at work though and was told that it was a pretty funny act. They were making some really funny jokes about it. The radio crackeld all day with little snippets of it as maintenace was completed.

Hackman said:
Here Opus, these are a few of the NWA FA's reporting how great the scab maintenance progrom is working. Sounds to me like some of them are concerned for their saftey, and they should be.

Received: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 04:20:12 +0000

I wanted to share an incident I had with a replacement worker and to let you know that you are not forgotten by the flight attendants. Upon routine walk around of the A/C by the F/O a hydraulic leak was found and logged in the maint. log book. After a delay the scab returned and stated that he had tightened the seals and that they were signing off for us to go. The F/O decided to do another walk around. Upon the second walk around he noticed that not only was the leak NOT fixed but that it was leaking worse than his initial report stated. He was quite angry as were the flight attendants- we refused the aircraft. I am outraged that this scab was going to let an aircraft leave with a hydraulics leak.
This incident was reported to the chief pilot, FAA and a ASR report was filed I also reported it to the inspector generals office for the DOT. I also sent a detailed copy of the incident to my senators and governor. I have downloaded your NASA report and will fill that out ASAP.
Stay strong guys we are pulling for you~ we are all in the same sinking ship. Damn the man!

If this happened I would like to know where it happened, no self respecting lics. mech would EVER send a plane out with a hydraulic leak, now if this is based on that lovely little "trick" some used to use (havent seen it lately) where a hydraulic leak was falsified with a spray bottle and one of the weep holes, then what can I say, but if it really happened the mech should be escorted off the airport.

Received: Thu, 06 Oct 2005 17:04:09 +0000

Aft. Fwd. Facing Flight Attendant jumpseat INOP. This jumpseat, Flight Attendant position C, is a minimum crew position, minimum F/A crew A-319 is three. With only two jumpseats in the Aft. section of the aircraft an aisle passenger seat in the last row must be designated " For Flight Attendant Use Only."

Upon boarding the aircraft a noticed a "replacement worker" in the flight deck checking the logbooks. As I went about performing my pre-flight safety check, I noticed the aft. fwd. facing F/A jumpseat was wrapped in red tape. I went to the back of the aircraft to check to see if a passenger seat had been designated for Flight Attendant use. No seat had been placarded. I went forward to speak to the "replacement worker". The man spoke broken english, his first language being spanish. I tried to explain the situation to him, however it was difficult due to his limited understanding of the english language. The man told me that mechanics don't put placards on seats to designate them for Flight Attendant use only, he said that it was the Flight Attendant's responsibility. I told him that it was standard operating procedure with Northwest Airline Mechanics and that he'd better check the MEL book. He brought out the book and showed me MEL Item # 25-22-01B, which was! the item listed in the cabin logbook. The description of this item did not mention minimum crew positions. I told him that there must be another section and I tried to turn the page. He put his hand on the book and stopped me from turning the page, saying, "oh no, this only thing." I told him to call a supervisor. Just then the First Officer boarded the aircraft and I told him that as soon as he was settled in the flight deck that I needed to talk to him. I explained the situation and the F/O agreed. Shortly thereafter a supervisor came to the aircraft along with the original "mechanic", the first officer pointed out the correct MEL Item # 25-22-01A and explained that a passenger seat had to be placarded with specific terminology "FOR FLIGHT ATTENDANT USE ONLY". The original mechanic was sent back to placard the seat, while his supervisor corrected the entry in the logbook to reflect the proper MEL item number. His first attempt with placard number 040749 said, "Exlusive Only Use Flight Attendant." (notice the spelling "Ex-Lusive"). In addition the placard was loosely stuck to the headrest o! f the seat. I informed the F/O that the placard was wrong and that it was already falling off. I had to call the "replacement worker" back just as he was leaving the jet-bridge. The F/O again told him that the placard had to have the specific terminology stated in the MEL book. As he was going to the back of the aircraft to change the placard we asked him, "Do you want us to hold boarding." to which he respond, "Any-tyne." Obviously, he did not understand the question. After he was done I went back to check the placard, this time it said, "Use Only Flight Attendant." I went forward to report this to the F/O. By this time the original "replacement worker" had left so our F/O had to radio for another "mechanic". A third "replacement worker" showed up this time and the correct terminology was used , but the placard was again stuck to the headrest and was peeling off. I asked the "mechanic" to use tape so that the placard would not fall off, but I was ignored. The logbbook page number listed on the placard was 9790007. The incorrect write-up was done on Oct. 2, 2005 and was not corrected until the afternoon of Oct. 3,
2005. This was a fairly simple write-up, but a delay was caused by incompetence. It is a sad day when Flight Attendants have to instruct "mechanics" in proper MEL procedures.

Additionally, Flight Attendants have had to show these "replacement workers" how to open cabin access panels, such as the clear panel in the galley ceiling of the Airbus. I had one "replacement worker" board a 757 and ask me what kind of A/C it was. He entered the plane at door 2L, however when he came out of the flight deck and saw that 1L was closed he began to panic thinking that we were pushing with him onboard. I had to point him to the door through which he had entered .

All mechs should know their aircraft, maybe they should play the little computer f/a game, around the world in 1 min or less, but there is no excuse for not being familiar with the aircraft, the rest is straight out of the mel book AND NO MECHS SHOULD BE WORKING ON ANY AIRPORT ANYWHERE THAT CAN NOT COMMUNICATE IN ENGLISH

Received: Thu, 6 Oct 2005 22:26:56 +0000

Hello Friends,
I am more sorry than I can say that you are still on the picket lines. I will continue to picket whenever I'm off duty, I did so enjoy the time we spent at ***** ***** house on Tuesday. The incidents of mechanical delays and f***-ups are enumerable. I agree with the earlier FA's that I am in fear for my life on a daily basis and truly wish that we had walked with you.

Just to tell a few 1.)First week of strike: engine temp. gauge showing overheating--several hours of "troubleshooting" with a huge group gathered around plane finally led to a manager coming and MEL-ing it after they wired something closed. He had to help them do the paperwork and he said that everything was going down the tubes. He was fed up then; I can't imagine
that he's still at the airline. 2.) Had a plane in LAX that had not had its regular inspection (I'm not sure what it's called) and the pilot refused to go anywhere until that was done. Pilot commented that this had been happening frequently lately. 3.) Toilets are being over-filled and it is going all over the aircraft on takeoff and landing. As you can imagine, this causes the plane to be taken out of commission. The scab cleaners run around trying to find outlets for the wet-dry vac and it's pitiful. 4.) Pilot told me on 10/2/05 that he just did a Maui trip out of Seattle and the mechanic told him that they were 5 days behind on paperwork. Another pilot on the same flight said that the company was threatening the pilots with private investigators and warning them about any comments about maintenance.

There are so many instances of bizarre behavior and incompetence with the scabs that it's impossible to remember them all. It happens almost every day. It seems to me that they just MEL everything they can and then try to catch up on the big stuff at the hangar. I think the only thing that saves them is all the extra planes. I have not seen a scab fix anything, except a light bulb or something like that. They don't even do simple things right---you should have seen the lav the other day--he sealed the entire door with tape and then taped across the front. You would think it was a crime scene. In addition, he could hardly speak English. I love people of the world, but I do think that they should be able to understand our logbook write-ups and directions. The managers are the only ones that seem to be able to actually accomplish anything and if you don't have one, then it takes FOREVER.

In regards to the pilots denying us the logbook--this hasn't happened to me in a couple of weeks. Besides, it doesn't work with me anyway. It is the "FLIGHT ATTENDANT MAINTENANCE LOGBOOK" and is therefore my responsibility to the FAA and that is what I say. It's a rare pilot who will face you down on that one.

Good luck to you all, I hope to see you all back to work very soon.

This is outrageous, sorry but its just not happening. I dont work at LAX so what can I say, but I have NEVER seen a plane 5 days behind in paperwork and most of the time when I get on an aircraft the stews are there but not the flight crew and the log books are COMPLETELY ACCESSABLE TO EVERYONE. This is a blatant lie, I am sorry but that is the truth.

Received: Thu, 6 Oct 2005 17:35:38 +0000
The Stress is unbelievable! I too want to retire or quit- unfortunately that is not an option with only one paycheck coming in. The only reason I'm still working is for the insurance. I pray and suggest that for each and every family that has their eggs in one basket.. Move them to another pan before they get burned.

Stay Strong, support each other, and NEVER go to bed feeling regret for what your fighting for. My only regret is that our union did not have the strength that you all did.

So there are justifiable reasons for crossing amfa's picket line?

Received: Wed, 5 Oct 2005 12:22:01 -0500

"I pray... I pray a lot. It is very scary out there, but nothing surprises me. I have seen where it took SIX scabs to replace a coffee maker and I don't remember ever seeing that in almost 20 yrs. It's hard when you leave for work and your 9 yr. old daughter says BE SAFE MOMMY."
I hope some of that sounds familiar to you as I reported this to Fox 9 news on Sunday. I only wish they would have put EVERYTHING I said on the air, however that would have been a 1 hour segment! I was asked what would make me feel safe on the job now.......that was a simple uneducated answer. "Northwest (the scum that they are) need to bring back our skilled mechanics. The people that took pride in their job and I felt SAFE." I support you guys 100% and I will continue to have my eyes and ears open to report such things to the media. "People can not just turn their heads anymore."

Cant comment because I didnt see it; however you would have to take anything said by this individual with a large grain of salt because there is obvious bias
Received: Tue, 4 Oct 2005 02:18:17 +0000

I just wanted to say farewell and good luck with your fight against the rotten corporate machine that's crushing our once great company. I chose to take early retirement (after 18 years of airborne insanity - yes, I'm now a flight attendant with clipped wings :~) rather than cross your picket line. The thought of flying around in winged tubes being serviced by scabs - who, by the way, don't get to experience the creepy thrill ride at 35,000 feet as the ultimate test of their maintenance "skills" - makes my skin crawl to the point where I don't even want to ever use my well deserved pass-ride retirement benefits. How ironic.

You are the best of the best. Don't sell your souls to the corporate Devil Dogs, who are setting the bar so low, it's almost comical. Hold your ground, and please know there are those of us who have the utmost respect and admiration for your agenda.

And by the way, I was VERY happy to hear you've hired someone to nip at the heels of Steenland and cronies. Let's hope he can expose the financial shell games they've been playing at the employees' expense. Can you spell J-A-I-L T-I-M-E? A girl can dream, can't she?!!

"the best of the best" wow I have even read comments by amfa guys commenting of what worthless mechs fellow amfa members are because they crossed the picket line. Cant have it both ways guys. I have YEARS of exp. including the DC9s, its time to quit alienating people by saying they have no skill just because they didnt or dont or wont belong to amfa

Received: Mon, 3 Oct 2005 09:21:51 -0500

I am an NWA Flight Attendant. A couple of weeks ago I was scheduled to work a flight to Amsterdam. We were delayed almost three hours due to an electrical problem. While we waited on board for the problem to be fixed, we watched at least six scab mechanics and a couple of
managers in the back of the aircraft with a ceiling panel open. One had a book open the others were standing around scratching their heads. it was quite alarming to see this many mechanics on board. The problem must have been quite serious.

Three hours later the log book was signed off and away we went to Amsterdam. Well we got up into the air and the reading lights started blinking on and off throughout the whole aircraft. This was a night flight. The passengers were freaking out. They had been notified in the gate area of the electrical problem. One man was so irate he demanded the the captain land the plane. So what did the captain do? Sent the Second Officer back. He was out of the cockpit for over an hour ( I timed it). He was in the back of the aircraft near the galley with a ceiling panel open resetting circuit breakers. In a post 9/11 environment a pilot should ONLY be leaving the cockpit to use the lavatory, not to do double duty as a mechanic. It was extremely disturbing not only to the crew, but to the passengers.

The Second Officer finally pulled enough circuit breakers for the reading lights to remain either in an on or off position and they stayed that way for the remainder of the flight. Some passengers whose lights remained in the on position for eight hours were extremely upset, because they wanted to sleep. The crew was amazed that the Captain continued on to Amsterdam. Just the perception that the problem really hadn't been fixed really looked bad.

This is one of MANY stories that I have witnessed since the mechanics went on strike. Northwest has done an amazing job putting spin the
their side of the story. The real truth is not getting out there! I go to work with a tremendous amount of anxiety that was not there
before the strike started. WE WANT OUR EXPERIENCED MECHANICS BACK TO WORK! What is it going to take a catastrophe? I am afraid so!

Never heard about this, but the plane should not have left if it had problems and I cant imagine that it would have, I know I dont send any planes out with problems

Received: Sun, 2 Oct 2005 19:35:25 -0600

as usual the new tactic to discourage write-ups involves the pilot group. (Shame on You) I have been on several flights now where we had
write-ups and the pilots would not give us the maintenance book until after we landed, thus we would be writing up maintenance issues while passengers were deplaning or at the end of the day while they would jump out of the cockpit and sail home. New antics to try and dissuade fa's..

Needless to say it is frustrating and is being reported (at least by me) to the whistleblower program. There is no reason to delay these write-ups and continue to be intimidated!

The work environment is absolutely poisonous, NWA is making a huge mistake by harassing and intimidating their employees and it will be THEIR down fall.

I am outta here!
Good luck to all!

THIS IS NOT HAPPENING, F/A'S HAVE COMPLETE AND UNFETTERED ACCESS TO ALL THE LOG BOOKS

Received: Sat, 1 Oct 2005 23:21:51 EDT

....wrote up two aft flashlights that had been used. The scab had to ask us, the flight attendants, "Do I need to replace the whole flashlight or just the plastic strap?" This is not the only instance I've heard of scabs asking f/a input on what to do. This, however, was my firsthand experience. Doesn't inspire confidence. By the way.. I voted "YES!" to support the strike. Take care.. I'm out of here on the 31st !

So was it used or not, sorry to hear this person is so offended by a simple question[/color}
Received: Sat, 01 Oct 2005 17:21:07 +0000

I was hit in the chest as I tried to exit the galley. I have taken this all the way to the top with NWA and am waiting for their response...the scab was Larry Anderson based in MEM...Am fed up with the thugs NWA has hired...if I do not get a response that Larry Anderson has been fired....or better yet...I will go national with this. Detroit free Press...or the MSP paper....I am committed to this....how dare a scab strike me!

If someone accidentally bumped into you, get over it, IF YOU WERE ATTACKED YOU SHOULD HAVE HAD HIM ARRESTED IMMED!!!!!!! There is NO excuse for that kind of behavior, just like there is no excuse for harassing people at their homes

Received: Sun, 25 Sep 2005 23:58:12 EDT

Trust me things are not as rosy as Northwest acts.

My first trip back after your strike was a 5 day. We were late 100% of the time. And I have had a major delay on every trip since then. There is no such thing as a small mechanical now. Any flight deck write up I have been onboard for takes 3-4 hours to fix. Also, the mechanics inexperience is costing Northwest money. For example, our pilots wrote up a radio component that needed to be replaced. The pilot informed us it would take no more than 15 minutes to replace the part (it was sitting in the jetway). The "mechanics" forgot to turn off the power before beginning work and fried an entire system on the plane. Our 15 minute fix lasted 4 hours. A management mechanic was finally sent to work on the plane. On another day the pilots wrote up a CIDS caution light on the f/a panel on an A320. I have seen you guys resolve the same problem in about 10 minutes. Now it seems to take 3 "mechanics" for every write up. One to read the manual, one to look at the problem and one to speak to maintenance control over the radio for instructions on how to fix the problem. This write up was no exception. They ran the diagnostic and trouble shooted for over an hour. Finally, a manager mechanic arrived and resolved the problem in about 10 minutes. My last trip my entire crew was pulled to recrew a plane with a mechanical. The other crew had gone illegal. After we recrewed it the delay was over 5 hours. They never did fix the problem so we were given another plane. We arrived at our destination at 3 am local time.
Hang in there. We haven't forgotten you guys!!

Once again I dont know where this happened, but in the first few days of the stike everyone was getting their bearings an management was insisting that everything went exactly by the book, so what can I say, I wasnt there
[post="311180"][/post]​

I sure would like to drop a few of you sheltered airline/union guys off in an MRO. You guys would leave at the end of the day with your tail between your legs never to return again. This place is nothing more than a glorified full-service service station. You better pay attention to what is going on here for you could easily be next.

PlayTheOdds said:
I sure would like to drop a few of you sheltered airline/union guys off in an MRO. You guys would leave at the end of the day with your tail between your legs never to return again. This place is nothing more than a glorified full-service service station. You better pay attention to what is going on here for you could easily be next.
[post="311749"][/post]​
.....And who said that some here dont work in A/O? heres a clue oh grand artistic one. most all started in A/O before getting a line position, and actually maintained airplanes instead of HACKING them to #### like you contract gypsies. :D OH YEA dont forget to buy a bus ticket so you can run home with your tail between your legs back to texA$$ :p

To Whom It May Concern:

I was recently employed at an MRO because those poor company folks at aa, poor because of all us union people, decided to issue unlawful directives at me and then wrongfully terminate my employment. I spent several months at an MRO and didn't need to run and hide, because I was afraid to repair an aircraft, and I'd been with a major airline for 13.5 years at that time. Of course, before that I was employed for 10 years in the aviation industry at large; U.S. A.F., dod/civil service, manufacturing, and overseas contractor.

I have read the anti-union commentary of people whom choose to hide behind aliases. I cannot blame them one iota for not being known publicly by your God given name. I would choose not to bring such notoriety to my family or myself for my actions. I might want to try "educating" these poor woe-be-gone souls on how to stand as "men", but I know that there is no such potential to learn on their parts.

I love the one story from one the "Scabs" about how his father was a union worker and the like. Also, the alienation of AMFA workers from other workes because the AMFA workers refer to others as; bagsmashers, knuckledraggers, and etc... is equally as disingenious. Does the term pathetic come to mind?

Alas, those that besmirch the AMFA and those proud Mechanic & Related workers at NWA and UAL to name a few are nothing but Punks, Drunks and Cowards as I have called them before. Company Bootlickers and Scabs are truly some despicable creatures to the modern unionist.

Keep up the Brave Fight, AMFA warriors at NWA.

Sincerely, Dan Cunningham

If everything was so wrongful about your termination what happened to your union representation?

Do you also look down at the other 98% of the people in here with aliases?

What was it like for you working at an MRO?

He got his own lawyer and got his job back with back pay. It was because he was trying to replace a company union with AMFA that he was terminated in the first place.

As far as the other 98% perhaps they are not as obnoxiuos as you so nobody minds if the conceal their identity.

Well it is good to hear he got his job back and I really like the fact that he did it himself with no union. I take it that the existing union that was ripping its members off simply abandoned him.

To PTO - In my Eyes A Coward!

Your simple minded assessment of my situation is completely wrong. The AMFA NEC supplied Mr. Lee Seham, the AMFA Nat'l legal counsel, to represent my interests against a "LAWBREAKING" group of management p@#nks at AA! Your rationals concerning unions and their corruption evidences your total lack of education regarding union matters. I would consider you to be about 35 years old and what I call "The Max Headroom/MTV" generation. You strike me as being totally incapable of formulating anything more than a mental "Soundbite" opinion and are surely incapable of understanding organizational models that breed corruption, both within unions and companies. Given that, you must also be incapable of formulating any concept of how to "change" this corrupt situation and are therefore resigned to being the lowest level member of the corruption, a Scab!

I Pity You!

Sincerely,
Dan Cunningham

You are obviously pissed off at AA but what about the union you paid to represent you in the first place? Did they abandon you or not. If so was your case a one time event or are there others that got the screws put to them also?

Change? I am part of the change. You can't continue shutting companies down unlike the unions they are the ones that issue the paychecks. Isn't that what this is all about, saving paychecks? Unions are losing their power and appeal and will be picked off one by one. Then the companies will walk all over the employees in all workgroups at the same time. This will go on for some time until everyone gets pissed off enough that they will join under one union. A union made up by all work groups and controlled by the members and the financial books will be available for every member to review so that every single dollar spent is accounted for. A strike fund will be established that will be capable of paying its members on strike at least 60% of their pay. You must keep in mind that this union is there for its members not to dictate to a company how it will run its business.

For this to happen we must first get rid of the existing unions who have proven themselves inept to handle the job

Save your pity for DEAD BIRD, I don't need it.

Just curious, if you are now working for AA are you paying union dues?

PTO:

I am not bound by a union security clause in that the union representing Mechanic & Related workers at aa permanently banned me from membership on September 30, 2003. Therefore, I am the highest paid mechanic at aa in that by not being bound by the union security clause as identified in the Railway Labor Act I do not have to pay compulsory dues to maintain my employment with aa.

I am genuinely impressed. Even though you are a union supporter you are capable of working around them to get what you deserve. If more people were capable of seeing the pit falls of unions and realize that current unions in power are not capable of performing their duties there just might be hope for unions yet. As long as people continue to support defunct unions you will see a steady decline in employee compensation.

Do you still get any animosity from the members or union leaders there?

I am genuinely impressed. Even though you are a union supporter you are capable of working around them to get what you deserve. If more people were capable of seeing the pit falls of unions and realize that current unions in power are not capable of performing their duties there just might be hope for unions yet. As long as people continue to support defunct unions you will see a steady decline in employee compensation.

Do you still get any animosity from the members or union leaders there?

You bet I do, but I know deep down inside they, because of their various afflictions, such as; drunkeness, wifebeating, check bouncing, drug use and etc... are not really aware of what they are doing, to themselves or the working masses. However, my empathy toward them only goes so far. As I do try to live by the code, "Its all about Love.", I have to remember that, "Tuff Luv is better than No Luv at all!" and that is what I'll give them when applicable.

According to company testimony during my arbitration case a twu union rep is the person that initiated contact with management to file a complaint over a shirt I was wearing. That complain ultimately led to my termination. Yes, a twu official initiated action by management to have me fired!

I am in agreement with your post listed above. That sums up the quandry organized labor and the workers of the United State of America are currently in.

Dan Cunningham

Latest posts