US-AA Merger Articles (Merged Topics)

From what I have read, they are in limbo for the time being. Given what DL just did with Comair, I wouldn't think that Eagle has a very bright outlook.

From what I have read, they are in limbo for the time being. Given what DL just did with Comair, I wouldn't think that Eagle has a very bright outlook.
Would the fate and future of American Eagle be decided in the bankruptcy process? I have heard rumor AA is interested in dumping American Eagle as a subsidiary.
ograc

They had planned on spinning it off before they filed for chapter 11, AE is in chapter 11 just like AA, and they are going after their workers in Section 1113, so who knows what will happen.

http://www.twubkfacts.org/home/tabid/1494/ctl/detail/mid/3063/itemid/541/amr-bankruptcy-update-for-aug-3%2c-2012.aspx

http://www.aviationweek.com/Article.aspx?id=/article-xml/avd_08_06_2012_p04-01-483179.xml

AS says no.

US Airways merger with American Airlines would benefit Valley tourism, job economy

Posted: 08/06/2012
Last Updated: 44 minutes ago

•By: Ashley Loose
PHOENIX - After speculation about US Airways merging with American Airlines, US Airways stated that they will keep their primary western hub in Phoenix.

Mayors from Phoenix and Tempe met with US Airways officials regarding the merge.

US Airways chairman and CEO Doug Parker said that the merger between the two airlines would make Phoenix a more powerful hub, allowing more access to other locations nationally and around the world.

He also said that most of the local employment would stay in the state in the event of the merger.

US Airways also stated that if the merger were to happen, that they would consider opportunities for Phoenix and Tempe to benefit from the creation of new jobs.

"US Airways isn't just a name in Phoenix; it is part of our city through jobs, our economy and our everyday travel," Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton said in a news release. "Phoenix and Tempe are currently home to US Airways, and we were glad to be reassured that US Airways remains committed to the Phoenix metro area."

US Airways operated 265 flights each day from Sky Harbor International Airport.

The airline employs almost 2,000 people in Tempe and about 9,000 in the Phoenix area.

"It is vitally important that we retain our hub status and as many of the jobs we have as possible," Tempe Mayor Mark Mitchell said. "We also must position the region as the preferred location for future growth opportunities. Those are the primary responsibilities we have in participating in discussions like the one last week."

Read more: http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/region_phoenix_metro/central_phoenix/us-airways-merger-with-american-airlines-would-benefit-valley-tourism-job-economy#ixzz22ooQeST1

US Airways merger with American Airlines would benefit Valley tourism, job economy

Last Updated: 44 minutes ago

•By: Ashley Loose
PHOENIX - After speculation about US Airways merging with American Airlines, US Airways stated that they will keep their primary western hub in Phoenix.

Mayors from Phoenix and Tempe met with US Airways officials regarding the merge.

US Airways chairman and CEO Doug Parker said that the merger between the two airlines would make Phoenix a more powerful hub, allowing more access to other locations nationally and around the world.

He also said that most of the local employment would stay in the state in the event of the merger.

US Airways also stated that if the merger were to happen, that they would consider opportunities for Phoenix and Tempe to benefit from the creation of new jobs.

"US Airways isn't just a name in Phoenix; it is part of our city through jobs, our economy and our everyday travel," Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton said in a news release. "Phoenix and Tempe are currently home to US Airways, and we were glad to be reassured that US Airways remains committed to the Phoenix metro area."

US Airways operated 265 flights each day from Sky Harbor International Airport.

The airline employs almost 2,000 people in Tempe and about 9,000 in the Phoenix area.

"It is vitally important that we retain our hub status and as many of the jobs we have as possible," Tempe Mayor Mark Mitchell said. "We also must position the region as the preferred location for future growth opportunities. Those are the primary responsibilities we have in participating in discussions like the one last week."

Read more: http://www.abc15.com...y#ixzz22ooQeST1

Of course it will! And nobody will lose their job and it will finally bring world peace. Where have I heard and exec make promises about a hub? ;-)

http://newsflavor.com/world/usa-canada/when-att-bid-for-ncr-allen-called-metzenbaum/

He raised questions about the merger’s impact on Piedmont’s Dayton hub during a hearing of his subcommittee and during a meeting with representatives of the two airlines. By the end of the day, USAir Chairman Edwin I. Colodny issued a one-sentence statement that Piedmont’s hub here would remain intact, although USAir said later it never intended to shut down the Dayton operation.

[background=rgb(255, 255, 255)]Didn't Parker make comments about PIT?[/background]​

US Airways chairman and CEO Doug Parker said that the merger between the two airlines would make Phoenix a more powerful hub,
I wonder how of AMR's flying will have to be transfered to the west to keep them from losing money.

Of course it will! And nobody will lose their job and it will finally bring world peace. Where have I heard and exec make promises about a hub? ;-)

http://newsflavor.com/world/usa-canada/when-att-bid-for-ncr-allen-called-metzenbaum/

He raised questions about the merger’s impact on Piedmont’s Dayton hub during a hearing of his subcommittee and during a meeting with representatives of the two airlines. By the end of the day, USAir Chairman Edwin I. Colodny issued a one-sentence statement that Piedmont’s hub here would remain intact, although USAir said later it never intended to shut down the Dayton operation.

[background=rgb(255, 255, 255)]Didn't Parker make comments about PIT?[/background]​

I share your skepticism. Parker enjoyed a brown bag lunch with the mayors of Tempe and Phoenix. He told them what they wanted to hear and ABC 15 picked up on it. The reporter said the HQ would remain in Phoenix, rather than DFW. Having attended a few brown bag lunches with Parker myself, I believe it when I see it.

He has a habit of telling people what they want to hear to further his objectives as we all know.

Mill Avenue businesses, Tempe leaders lobby US Airways not to leave after merger

Phoenix Business Journal by Mike Sunnucks, Senior Reporter
Date: Monday, August 6, 2012, 1:16pm MST
Enlarge Image

Jim Poulin | Phoenix Business Journal
US Airways' headquarters in downtown Tempe.
Mill Avenue businesses and Tempe leaders are pressing US Airways Group Inc. (NYSE: LCC) not to move its headquarters and local operations if it merges with Texas-based American Airlines. US Airways chairman Doug Parker wants to merge with American and has said a combination would be based in Fort Worth, Texas. Tempe leaders are worried about US Airways’ future on Mill Avenue if the merger happens. They are petitioning Parker to maintain his airline’s local presence.

Former Tempe mayor Hugh Hallman, Tempe restaurateur Michael Monti and Paradise Valley town councilman Vernon Parker are leading a new effort to get businesses and residents to lobby Parker and US Airways to stay in their hometown. Parker is running for Congress in a crowded field for the state’s new 9th Congressional District that includes Tempe. US Airways has its headquarters in downtown Tempe as well as an operations center at Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport. The airline has said it plans on maintaining its Phoenix hub and major operations in the Valley if the merger with American occurs. But the carrier says its not able to say how many flights would go in and out of Sky Harbor, or how many jobs would remain in Arizona. Monti narrowly lost the Tempe mayor’s race earlier this year. He’s the owner of Monti’s La Casa Vieja restaurant right across the street from US Airways’ headquarters building.

Several other Mill Avenue businesses have signed on to the keep US Airways efforts, including Hippie Gypsy, Gordon Biersch Brewery, Mellow Mushroom Pizza, Macayo’s Depot Cantina and RA Sushi Bar and Restaurant. US Airways has 9,200 employees in the Valley and 287 daily flights at Sky Harbor.

New Tempe Mayor Mark Mitchell, Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton and Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer are all in the midst of various lobbying efforts to help keep US Airways from moving. American and its parent company, AMR Corp., are in Chapter 11 bankruptcy, and merging with US Airways is an option in exiting the bankruptcy process.

Mike Sunnucks writes about politics, law, airlines, sports business and the economy​

All wishful thinking on their part. A few local businesses that serve food to US employees is hardly enough reason to keep HDQ there.
Parker has already stated that the HDQ of the merged airline will be in DFW, and I feel that is a big plus in his corner of the ring.

All wishful thinking on their part. A few local businesses that serve food to US employees is hardly enough reason to keep HDQ there.
Parker has already stated that the HDQ of the merged airline will be in DFW, and I feel that is a big plus in his corner of the ring.

I think it is likely the HQ would be in DFW as well but they would keep a support presence in valley.

Doug is on drinking binge watch... it appears somebody on the creditors committee has unfriended him on FB...

1174gea.jpg

[background=#ffffff]US Airways merger could be the end of Tempe headquarters

34 commentsby Emily Gersema - Aug. 7, 2012 12:52 PM
The Republic | azcentral.com

Merger talks between Tempe-based US Airways and Fort Worth-based American Airlines have given Valley officials hope for an increase in flights and jobs in the Phoenix area, but they also have raised fears the Valley will lose the local company's headquarters. Last week, Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton and Tempe Mayor Mark Mitchell met with US Airways CEO Doug Parker to learn more about the potential deal's impact to the state. US Airways employs more than 9,000 people in the Phoenix area and operates 265 flights per day at Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport. In a statement Monday, the two mayors said US Airways officials "indicated they are open to discussing with Phoenix and Tempe the opportunity for the region to be the location for new jobs that may be created, should the merger occur." However, in an e-mailed statement to The Arizona Republic, US Airways said that with an American-Airlines merger, company headquarters would be in Fort Worth."We have said all along the headquarters for the merged airline would remain in Fort Worth but that we would retain a hub in (Phoenix) and a substantial presence in the Valley," US Airways officials wrote Tuesday.The airline wants to keep all of its existing hubs.
"By combining our networks, customers would have more options across a single network -- our customers would have access to cities we don't currently serve and likewise, American customers would have service to many of the smaller communities we serve," company officials wrote.
They added that this strategy would poise US Airways to provide "better service and improve competition with new United and new Delta."
US Airways is encountering resistance from some Tempe business leaders and candidates over the proposed move to Fort Worth. Vernon Parker, a Republican candidate for Arizona's 9th Congressional District, plans to hold a meeting at 10:30 a.m. today with former Tempe Mayor Hugh Hallman and former Tempe mayoral candidate Michael Monti at Monti's Casa Vieja restaurant at Mill Avenue and Rio Salado Parkway to urge businesses in the Mill Avenue business district to sign a petition urging US Airways to keep its headquarters in Tempe. Although American Airlines is in bankruptcy, the airline's executives last month said if any deal is reached, American Airlines will acquire US Airways and not the other way around

Read more: http://www.azcentral...l#ixzz22uvDZjJZ[/background]

Back