Us Airways Machinists Blast Ceo

real world said:
APTECH - You do have a choice you can recognize the market realities of the airline industry today and say I want to still be a part of it and therefore relize that I need to be happy with a new personal economic situation or begin looking for another option, becasue if you are not willing to change you will be forced to seek and another option. Bob Crandell hit the nail on the head the other day. "you have the passenger and employees fighting for the same dollar and the passengers are winning".
Real World, you are correct that the airline business is rapidly changing. However, this change regarding US Airways would be much easier to accept if management had a track record of being trustworthy. Too many bridges have been burned and you cannot expect to mend them through threats and intimidation. In my opinion, the employees of this company have gone far beyond the call to keep this airline alive. And, yet, they continue to be maligned on a daily basis through poor human resource management and bad business practices at the executive level. The company motto has proven to be "Contracts Are Made To Be Broken." Well, you reap what you sow. Given the past two years, I cannot bring myself to condemn the mechanics should they take the step to have any sort of work action.

real world said:
Bob Crandell hit the nail on the head the other day. "you have the passenger and employees fighting for the same dollar and the passengers are winning".
Another quote from Bob Crandall. "Labor can either work for rates that allow for very low pricing, or they won't be working for very long," Crandall says.

Hawk said:
Another quote from Bob Crandall. "Labor can either work for rates that allow for very low pricing, or they won't be working for very long," Crandall says.
Crandall gets a pass. He actually built a powerhouse in AA.

Siegel is trying to learn at his employees' expense.

If Crandall was in charge at US, I'd wager that while the employees would hate his guts, they'd follow him. Can't say the same for Dave and Dave (largely due the absolutely amazing bungling of the business plan and POR coming out of Chapter 11).

That's the difference. Crandall knew (and probably knows) how to get the job done. People follow leaders, even when it hurts.

The Truth said:
Real World,

Your comments are right on target. You understand what is at risk, and hopefully the employees will have the same logic. You speak the truth on this issue.

The IAM must put aside the politics. Now is the time to make a rational decision on the future of Airways. Playing "hard ball" will not benefit the IAM. Everyone will lose if they continue with this irrational stance. Each IAM member should question the hard line tactics of their union and whether it has their best interest in mind. I have my doubts. Don't allow your union to lead you astray and down the wrong path of no return.

There is a local afa leader that will find this out soon when the election results are counted and her hard line tactics and media blitz will only get her voted out of office. :up:
Truth, GET REAL!!!! This management team has had in their mind all along what direction they want this company to go. ALL groups have given more, More, MORE!!! You say, think of the "future"??? Your kidding, right? I'm a fairly new member to this board, but have said it ALL ALONG.......Their plan is to scale down wages/benifits/work rules(in their favor, of course)/employees to the most bare minimum possible, to set us up for a merger/sale/sale of assets, whatever!!! And I don't want to hear ANYONE on this thread try the argument....."noone is in a financial position to aquire/buy assets!!!! Bull@##$!!! The writing is on the wall..... These guys make their backroom deals everyday!! Even as they sleep, i suppose! Look for a new job, or follow it till the END! If you choose the latter,i'll say what you obviously abhore................FULL PAY(whats left) TILL THE LAST DAY!!..........................GOOD DAY!!........MORE LATER!!

a320pilot

We are still waiting for your facts on how the IAM is gonna lose and how we lose all our important grievances.

The silence is deafening.

700UW said:
a320pilot

We are still waiting for your facts on how the IAM is gonna lose and how we lose all our important grievances.

The silence is deafening.
I think he answered your question. Basically once you lose the airbus arbitration , if no talks then all airbuses and no work for IAM !!! Sound famliar?

usfliboi said:
I think he answered your question. Basically once you lose the airbus arbitration , if no talks then all airbuses and no work for IAM !!! Sound famliar?
If he answered why the IAM is gonna lose, please post the facts, because myself and the other posters saw nothing but his usual diatribe of his opinion and NOT ONE FACT, and you know what they say about opinions!

700UW said:
If he answered why the IAM is gonna lose, please post the facts, because myself and the other posters saw nothing but his usual diatribe of his opinion and NOT ONE FACT, and you know what they say about opinions!
The extent of his factual reasoning about that appears to be based on the premise that historically with grievances between U management and the IAM, apparently U management has won more than they have lost. Therefore they will win this one too. See, it's all about mathematics, rather than the facts of the case before the arbitrator.

Seems like sharp, sound legal reasoning to me! :rolleyes:

Bear, I like the sarcasm, lol, but the IAM has won more then lost, so that reasoning does not follow the plan, lol!

700UW said:
What type of facts you want 700, reality based or 700 version?

DELETED BY MODERATOR, If the company told the pilot group that all flying on the Airbus aircraft will be contracted out to a outfit in Alabama, (who would bring in pilots from South America and put them up in hotel rooms to take your job) , do you think ALPA would lie down or put up a fight? This is IAMs position plain and simple. If the IAM loses this in arbitration my job is gone. Maybe this will happen, maybe not. I for one think its worth fighting for! Can you comprehend this?

Back