US incident at PHL

i have heard rumors that A/C 113 is going to be scrapped   too much damage in the avionics area  and structual damage to the bulk heads in the front and rear  

That is too bad.  I saw on another site somewhere that the nose gear did not really collapse, but was driven upwards into the wheel well.  No idea if that is true.  Any more reports on the sequence of events?

ive only heard that the nose gear went backwards up basically into the cockpit area  and the avionics bay was heavily damaged  and both bulk head pressure were damaged along w structrual too but not sure about any other thing

Reactions: 1 person
Accident description
Last updated: 8 April 2014
Date: Thursday 13 March 2014
Time: ca 18:30
Type:
Airbus A320-214
Operator: US Airways
C/n / msn: 1141
First flight: 1999-11-22 (14 years 4 months)
Engines: 2 CFMI CFM56-5B4/P
Crew: Fatalities: 0 / Occupants:
Passengers: Fatalities: 0 / Occupants:
Total: Fatalities: 0 / Occupants: 154
Airplane damage: Substantial
Location: Philadelphia International Airport, PA (PHL) ( United States of America)
Phase: Takeoff (TOF)
Nature: Domestic Scheduled Passenger
Departure airport: Philadelphia International Airport, PA (PHL/KPHL), United States of America
Destination airport: Fort Lauderdale International Airport, FL (FLL/KFLL), United States of America
Flightnumber: 1702
Narrative:
A US Airways Airbus A320 was involved in a takeoff accident at Philadelphia International Airport, PA (PHL).
Flight US1702 to Fort Lauderdale International Airport, FL (FLL) rotated from runway 27L. At about 20 feet agl, the crew decided to abort the takeoff 'due to smoke in the nr. 1 engine', according to the FAA.
The nose gear touched down again and collapsed the FAA reported. The airplane went half way off the runway, with the nose coming to rest in the grass. An emergency evacuation was carried out, injuring two passengers.

robbedagain said:
thanks snap   i had heard or read somewhere that the winds went from nose to tail right at the critical moment
I found a story on it:

NTSB: Flight Conditions Played a Role in Aborted Take-Off
April 4, 2014, 9:12 pm

A preliminary report from the National Transportation Safety Board reveals blown tire did not cause a plane to abort take-off at the Philadelphia International Airport in March.

U.S. Airways Flight 1702 was forced to abandon its take-off on March 13 around 6:25 p.m. on its way to Fort Lauderdale, Fla. The pilot returned the plane to the ground, where it skidded down the runway before coming to a stop.

The flight crew conducted an emergency evacaution and passengers could be seen running away from the A320. Of the 149 passengers and five crew members aboard the plane, just one minor injury was reported.

Officials initially suspected the damaged tire contributed to the incident, but the latest information shows flight conditions may have played a larger role in causing the nose gear on the Airbus A320 to collapse.

An FAA agent with the Philadelphia Flight Standards District Office says winds affected the plane during the take-off.

Winds shifted during a critical moment of flight and the plane was experiencing quartering winds, which hit the plane at a 45 degree angle.

Sources say winds shifted suddenly from the front to the rear of the plane, causing it to lose lift.

Air control warned pilots flying into Philadelphia International the same day as the aborted flight that wind shear could affect the planes' descent.

Even though wind may have been more of a factor than originally thought, authorities have not yet ruled an official cause.

The investigation will continue until he National Transportation Safety Board makes an official ruling.

http://www.csnphilly.com/article/ntsb-flight-conditions-played-role-aborted-take

Reactions: 2 people
thanks snap  i thought i had seen it before  just not sure where..   it sounds like windshear   may be a microburst  not sure about that last part though

robbedagain said:
thanks snap  i thought i had seen it before  just not sure where..   it sounds like windshear   may be a microburst  not sure about that last part though
You may have seen the story on the Philly ch 10 link. I doubt that windshear caused by a microburst because of it's association with convective activity.

"A microburst is a downdraft (sinking air) in a thunderstorm that is less than 2.5 miles in scale. Some microbursts can pose a threat to life and property, but all microbursts pose a significant threat to aviation. Although microbursts are not as widely recognized as tornadoes, they can cause comparable, and in some cases, worse damage than some tornadoes produce. In fact, wind speeds as high as 150 mph are possible in extreme microburst cases."

i did not know that snap  thanks.  it sounds like that is the same type that actually caused dal 191 to go down  and may be pan am 759  as well as us 1016.  

sounds like a good reason to use TOGA... I used it the other day in LGA... I think too often we don't use it when we should.

robbedagain said:
i did not know that snap  thanks.  it sounds like that is the same type that actually caused dal 191 to go down  and may be pan am 759  as well as us 1016.
You are correct on all three. Windshear as a result of convective activity.

I remember the crash of 191 and the large dent the remained on one of the tanks on the north end of DFW for quite some time. A tragic reminder.

Another link...
NTSB: Flight Conditions Played a Role in Aborted Take-Off

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/NTSB-Flight-Conditions-Played-a-Role-in-Aborted-Take-Off-254000991.html

crazystnic said:
sounds like a good reason to use TOGA... I used it the other day in LGA... I think too often we don't use it when we should.
Yep, CLP isn't sitting in the pointy end of the aluminum tube. They give you what is the minimum legal power setting to get off the runway with the numbers they have.
However, pucker factor overrules CLP every time. Gusty? TOGA. Tailwinds? TOGA. Heavy and Hot? TOGA. Short runway with big buildings at the end? TOGA.
It's there to use - with no restrictions, boys. Have at it.
cheers.

Reactions: 2 people
snap  I was a young kid when 191 went down  I walked in the door of my now late aunt and it was all over the tv.  sad indeed.  

US Air Aborted Takeoff in Philadelphia Blamed on Pilot Error

Federal investigators say pilot error was the "probable cause" of an aborted takeoff that collapsed a jet's nose gear in Philadelphia.

The National Transportation Safety Board says US Airways Flight 1702's pilot and co-pilot chose to take off rather than ensure its computer was properly configured.

The NTSB's final report was released Thursday. It says the first officer entered information for the wrong runway before the March 2014 flight took off.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/us-air-aborted-takeoff-philadelphia-blamed-pilot-error-37201081

Latest posts