We lost a Lt fluent in Arabic due to DADT

Public opinion was more against gay rights in the 90's than it is now. DADT was a stop gap to allow gays to serve under the radar and to quell the witch hunts.

DADT repeal

But there's been a dramatic shift in public attitudes toward gays in the military over the last 17 years. In 1993, a Washington Post poll found just 44 percent of the public thought gays should have the right to serve openly in the military. Now 77 percent of Americans believe gays and lesbians should have that right, according to a Washington Post-ABC poll released last week.

It will be interesting too see how the courts deal with equal rights for gays in the rest of society. I think this will make it even more difficult for the SCOTUS to uphold any of the gay marriage bans. Short of amending the COTUS I think gays will achieve equal right sooner rather than later.

Reactions: 3 people
Public opinion was more against gay rights in the 90's than it is now. DADT was a stop gap to allow gays to serve under the radar and to quell the witch hunts.

DADT repeal

It will be interesting too see how the courts deal with equal rights for gays in the rest of society. I think this will make it even more difficult for the SCOTUS to uphold any of the gay marriage bans. Short of amending the COTUS I think gays will achieve equal right sooner rather than later.
Not to rain on your parade, but I disagree your assertion about the public opinion for or against gays. Nobody really cares what gay or lesbians do behind closed doors, that's personal business that should not be made public. I personally don't care what you do sexually ,I just don't want to see it or hear about it, or be told I have to accept it. Because I don't. Where it goes badly for gays when the majority is forced to publicly accept the deviant lifestyle, accept when they flaunt it, demand civil rights when they are not a minority. We are tired of hearing the whining and bitching.....really tired of it.

Like it or not, this county was founded on christian principals, it's in our constitution, on our money. The more gays demand, the more they will be rejected. Look to California as an example. The public voted against gays marrying, but that wasn't the end of of it. Nope. Gays continue to protest, file stupid lawsuits. It's getting old, really old.

Reactions: 1 person
Not to rain on your parade, but I disagree your assertion about the public opinion for or against gays. Nobody really cares what gay or lesbians do behind closed doors, that's personal business that should not be made public. I personally don't care what you do sexually ,I just don't want to see it or hear about it, or be told I have to accept it. Because I don't. Where it goes badly for gays when the majority is forced to publicly accept the deviant lifestyle, accept when they flaunt it, demand civil rights when they are not a minority. We are tired of hearing the whining and bitching.....really tired of it.

Like it or not, this county was founded on christian principals, it's in our constitution, on our money. The more gays demand, the more they will be rejected. Look to California as an example. The public voted against gays marrying, but that wasn't the end of of it. Nope. Gays continue to protest, file stupid lawsuits. It's getting old, really old.

The solution is very simple. Grant gays equal rights just like every other citizen.

This has nothing to do with minority rights although numerically they are a minority. This is about civil rights. About having the same rights as every other citizen of the US.

You should really read the 14th amendment some time.

No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

Some things you may want to note. The COTUS does not mention anything about flaunting, rubbing your nose in it, being defiant or anything else. So they can do what ever it is that they would like to do with their rights once they obtain them (and they will eventually).

Had MLK, Rosa Parks and all the other civil rights protesters just sat back and abides by the laws of the day do you think blacks would have equal rights? If the gays don't fight for their rights they will not get them. Certainly homophobes such as your self will not advocate for equal rights since you do not seem to think they deserve them in the first place.

Not certain how you define 'accept' but legally you will have to. I don't think anyone cares what you think about gays. Like it or not, civil rights should not be up to a vote. Do you want someone voting on your rights? When this gets tot he SCOTUS is will in all likely hood be decided n favor of the gays. I believe Scalia has already said he sees nothing in the COTUS to deny gays equal rights and the COTUS will not be amended.

Like I said, the solution is quite simple. Not sure why you are making it so difficult on your self.

OH yea, regarding the protesting stuff.....You should check out the 1st amendment. I think they are covered on that as well.

I can empathize w/ both sides of the DADT debate. But of all the issues facing this nation, it's like #4,728 on my list of concerns.

I suspect you are right about that with a majority of the people. Most people are not concerned with the rights of others so ling as it does not affect them.

Do you think if your rights were limited their importance would place them a bit higher on your list? Would you be a bit more concerned if you could not ensure who takes care of you wen you are sick and unable to care for your self? How about your children? Your estate? What if you were told you could not marry who you wanted to?

Unfortunately you are right. Most people just don't care. They only care about them selves.....that is until it affects them.

I suspect you are right about that with a majority of the people. Most people are not concerned with the rights of others so ling as it does not affect them.

Do you think if your rights were limited their importance would place them a bit higher on your list? Would you be a bit more concerned if you could not ensure who takes care of you wen you are sick and unable to care for your self? How about your children? Your estate? What if you were told you could not marry who you wanted to?

Unfortunately you are right. Most people just don't care. They only care about them selves.....that is until it affects them.

You are absolutely right, forgive my ignorance.

Unicorn_Obama.jpg

Thats rich coming from a 7 word and one cartoon response.

Thats what you do when you have nothing to say. You have been doing for years.

Righhht, good one from someone who got banned and resurfaced as a mere shallow ghost of oneself. :lol:

Pathetic

The solution is very simple. Grant gays equal rights just like every other citizen.

This has nothing to do with minority rights although numerically they are a minority. This is about civil rights. About having the same rights as every other citizen of the US.

You should really read the 14th amendment some time.

Some things you may want to note. The COTUS does not mention anything about flaunting, rubbing your nose in it, being defiant or anything else. So they can do what ever it is that they would like to do with their rights once they obtain them (and they will eventually).

Had MLK, Rosa Parks and all the other civil rights protesters just sat back and abides by the laws of the day do you think blacks would have equal rights? If the gays don't fight for their rights they will not get them. Certainly homophobes such as your self will not advocate for equal rights since you do not seem to think they deserve them in the first place.

Not certain how you define 'accept' but legally you will have to. I don't think anyone cares what you think about gays. Like it or not, civil rights should not be up to a vote. Do you want someone voting on your rights? When this gets tot he SCOTUS is will in all likely hood be decided n favor of the gays. I believe Scalia has already said he sees nothing in the COTUS to deny gays equal rights and the COTUS will not be amended.

Like I said, the solution is quite simple. Not sure why you are making it so difficult on your self.

OH yea, regarding the protesting stuff.....You should check out the 1st amendment. I think they are covered on that as well.
So because I disagree with you I'm a homophobe? I don't have problem with the gay life style, I just don't want to know about it, or have to see it. Again, not for public knowledge, it's a private choice. Gays and lesbians are not classified as a minority group (I.E. special rights granted thereof) by the MAJORITY. Understand? This is glaring example of you as a militant homosexual (I assume your lesbian?) get little or no sympathy from many heterosexuals, as being "forced to accept" will never happen. Get the chip off your shoulder, it harms your cause. Nobody cares if your gay of lesbian, only you do.

I have read the US Constitution, and I fail to see what specific civil rights you refer to that have been denied to gays. I'm sure you disagree.

Gays have the right to a civil union, because same sex marriage is not....well...a marriage. Even the most liberal president ever in office Obama agrees with this, as do a majority of the American voters who shot down the gay marriage movement. Sorry you don't like this, but majority rules, and that's the way it goes.

Protest and complain all you like about "civil rights" violations, it doesn't apply. None have been committed. Also you can't compare gays to the Black race, very different in many ways. So your wasting your breath....and making it difficult for yourself and your cause.

I don't care what you think about heteros like myself, because I know most agree with me. DADT was enacted for a reason, and the reason still exists. We shall now see if the military is harmed with it's repeal and something else will be done in it's place. As former military, I think there will be problems. There was before.

It is very simple, quietly live your life, and accept what cannot be changed.

My Cut and Paste expertise:

If you ever wondered what side of the fence you sit on, this is a great test!

If a conservative doesn't like guns, he doesn't buy one.
If a liberal doesn't like guns, he wants all guns outlawed.

If a conservative is a vegetarian, he doesn't eat meat.
If a liberal is a vegetarian, he wants all meat products banned for everyone.

If a conservative is homosexual, he quietly leads his life.
If a liberal is homosexual, he demands legislated respect.

If a conservative is down-and-out, he thinks about how to better his situation.
A liberal wonders who is going to take care of him.

If a conservative doesn't like a talk show host, he switches channels.
Liberals demand that those they don't like be shut down.

If a conservative is a non-believer, he doesn't go to church.
A liberal non-believer wants any mention of God and religion silenced.

If a conservative decides he needs health care, he goes about
shopping for it, or may choose a job that provides it.
A liberal demands that the rest of us pay for his.

If a conservative reads this, he'll forward it so his friends can have a good laugh.
A liberal will delete it because he's "offended."