What new route would you choose for US Airways

Airline Profits = Revenue - Expenses, which includes Airport Costs (Landing Fees, Gate Fees, Etc..)
The Less the Airport Costs the greater the Profit/Passenger (Yield).

So what did you add to my statement that DCA has higher Yields than CLT and much higher than PHL?

What you are referring to is known as margin. Yield, in airline terms, is the fare per mile that a passenger pays. Yield is not impacted by cost.

But to get back to the bottom line: DCA is the most profitable hub on a margin basis; CLT is the most profitable hub on an absolute/sheer number basis.

I was told that City of Charlotte in cooperation with Schiphol Airport in Amsterdam had already 4 meetings in regard of opening new flight CLT-AMS . Somehow Charlotte wants this flight badly but Schiphol says that it would be difficult to fill in airplanes on this route . We will see what will happen in the future .

I find this interesting as typically AMS has been an airport that is very proactive in luring new service. I really have to question why CLT would desire a flight to AMS so badly. First off, AMS is not that big of a destination and it is already extremely well-served to the US in general thanks to the large hub that AF/KL have there.

From a US Airways perspective, I see little to suggest a need for another AMS flight. PHL-AMS is a mediocre performer as is so adding another AMS flight will only worsen the performance of that flight. Furthermore, there is no *A on the European end that would provide for additional connecting opportunities. MAD, and even DUB in my opinion, would be much better candidates for European service from CLT (likely on a seasonal basis).

Find the notion of the City of Charlotte pursuing AMS an absolute JOKE. Where do some of You people even come up with that nonsense? The Netherlands is a very small country and with KLM/AirFrance aligned with Delta in Skyteam, there really isn't a need for ANY other US carrier to begin service from the US to AMS. Like someone earlier stated, AMS would NOT serve as a good connecting point for European flights either, because no STAR Carrier is based there. Principal STAR connecting centers are Frankfurt/Munich/Zurich/Brussells along with Heathrow. What US SHOULD do is fortify their connectivity thru these Hubs by promoting Code Share opportunities to Eastern Europe, the Middle East and Africa. Delta is the only major US carrier that actually serves some of these areas with their own aircraft. Charlotte could probably initiate service to Madrid, Dublin (?) and Zurich (lots of Swiss based companies in the SE US) but there are few other cities that would have the success that PHL offers Internationally. US does very well in Germany and Berlin should be seriously looked at with a new airport opening........whether it is PHL or CLT, only the Bean counters would be able to tell You which would be more profitable/feasible. Amsterdamn........I am still shaking my head.........what next Mumbai?

Find the notion of the City of Charlotte pursuing AMS an absolute JOKE. Where do some of You people even come up with that nonsense? The Netherlands is a very small country and with KLM/AirFrance aligned with Delta in Skyteam, there really isn't a need for ANY other US carrier to begin service from the US to AMS. Like someone earlier stated, AMS would NOT serve as a good connecting point for European flights either, because no STAR Carrier is based there. Principal STAR connecting centers are Frankfurt/Munich/Zurich/Brussells along with Heathrow. What US SHOULD do is fortify their connectivity thru these Hubs by promoting Code Share opportunities to Eastern Europe, the Middle East and Africa. Delta is the only major US carrier that actually serves some of these areas with their own aircraft. Charlotte could probably initiate service to Madrid, Dublin (?) and Zurich (lots of Swiss based companies in the SE US) but there are few other cities that would have the success that PHL offers Internationally. US does very well in Germany and Berlin should be seriously looked at with a new airport opening........whether it is PHL or CLT, only the Bean counters would be able to tell You which would be more profitable/feasible. Amsterdamn........I am still shaking my head.........what next Mumbai?
US Airways may be Seeking New Partner!
Maybe it may be a prelude of things to happen.

Mexico City-Philadelphia. The route was served earlier and times have changed. Mexicana appears to be a faltering entity and US offers many TransAtlantic connections out of PHL that shouldn't be ignored. Flight schedules need to be built where customers have connectivity at both ends. Mexico City is one of the largest cities in the world and PHL has proven it's viability over time. Really surprised that US hasn't even looked at adding PHL-MEX since the merger, keeping service to only PHX and CLT.

Back