Whats it like over there?

Of course, a million questions are being asked here in DTW about the merger, and how it will effect them. I am just wondering if any Delta A and P's could fill us in on some of the basic, such as typical shift rotations, base and premium pay, and what not. On the inspection side, how is your RII and NDT programs run? Here at NWA we are pretty much 'Jack of all trades" inspectors. Most of us do recieving, rii, general, and NDT combined. With the exeption of a dedicated recieving dept, we are all lumped together as general inspectors.
Our maint. reporting system, and about half of our overall computer sytems, are based on SCEPTRE, which is a pretty archaic 70's era system. I hope you guys got a better system!
Over all, I am pretty pleased with our maint. instruction cards, although they are a continous work in progress.
Bottom line is, I am more interesteed in the TECHNICAL side of how you do things than I am in the contractual side. Let the bigshot lawyers and bean counters figure that stuff out..I wanna know how you guys fix your airplanes!

I am curious about the "70's" archaic system SCEPTRE. I only know 2 systems since I have only worked for 2 airlines nwa (17 yrs) and FedEx and I can tell you that SCEPTRE mops the floor with the FedEx system. It was MUCH more user friendly and easier to navigate. But you being the job jumper that you have been maybe you have worked with a better system.. If so please feel free to share. I have to laugh about your interest in DL maint practices like you are excited or something.. I will tell you what I do not miss the hatchet hanging over my head(which it is for you but you are too blind to see it) which it did for my entire career. I rented a house forever because I was always had the threat of a layoff or someone bumping me for 17 yrs if you can believe that. Now you are riding high on the hog with your 2005 seniority and you have all this critique of nwa's maint practices. Well you know nwa had one of the BEST maint programs in the business at one time. Well enjoy the mix mash of employees you have talked about because you all deserve each other..

Not really too concerned with the unions here, although I feel for the NW mechanics who went on strike and no other unions backed them up. Doesn't really re-enforce the notion of "Vote Union Now!" in my book. :shock:

As far as NW pilots stating "We're against the merger" it's all part of the postuering process until they get something they'll be happy with. Which I',m sure they will !
Question for you southwind. I have a buddy whose brother works at Delta, word is from him several AMT's were walked out for the MD80 wiring debacle (not addressing the AD but signing for it).

What recourse will they have without union representation if any?

Is the "game over" when your Delta "management friends" decide to open the gate and drop kick you out?

Like to know any details of how the termination process works at non-union Delta for AMT's.

I would surmise they are done, case closed, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Question for you southwind. I have a buddy whose brother works at Delta, word is from him several AMT's were walked out for the MD80 wiring debacle (not addressing the AD but signing for it).

Is the "game over" when your Delta "management friends" decide to open the gate and drop kick you out?

Like to know any details of how the termination process works at non-union Delta for AMT's.

They were indeed walked out. They lost a few days of pay because they did not do the job that they signed for. I believe they are all back to work. No one (that I know of)is getting fired for the whole poorly written AD fiasco.

Short of coming to work drunk or any violence at work, its damn near impossible to get fired from here.

Of course, a million questions are being asked here in DTW about the merger, and how it will effect them. I am just wondering if any Delta A and P's could fill us in on some of the basic, such as typical shift rotations, base and premium pay, and what not. On the inspection side, how is your RII and NDT programs run? Here at NWA we are pretty much 'Jack of all trades" inspectors. Most of us do recieving, rii, general, and NDT combined. With the exeption of a dedicated recieving dept, we are all lumped together as general inspectors.
Our maint. reporting system, and about half of our overall computer sytems, are based on SCEPTRE, which is a pretty archaic 70's era system. I hope you guys got a better system!
Over all, I am pretty pleased with our maint. instruction cards, although they are a continous work in progress.
Bottom line is, I am more interesteed in the TECHNICAL side of how you do things than I am in the contractual side. Let the bigshot lawyers and bean counters figure that stuff out..I wanna know how you guys fix your airplanes!

Hey Al :lol:

Nice to see you back :up:
How is your son doing? Finish Boot Camp OK?

Later,
B) UT

We have "The Tech-Op's Council" which is a generic employee representation group, somewhat of a joke here , but I can say I've seen people walked out, for things like poor attendance, more than once and through Tech Op's council Resolution were able to get their job back !

For what its worth, the recalled guys I work with have all been pretty top notch. I heard we had a few return to the line that were trouble makers, but on the whole they have been the minority. Despite the venomous propaganda put out on "EXnwa.com", We get along pretty good, at least in my department. I have nothing but praise for those guys, and enjoy working with them. They are highly skilled, knowledgible, and very professional. If there is any animosity towards me, they keep it very well under control. They are all right guys in my book.

Oh and yeah CSAR must be nice to walk right into a gen inspection job.. at the "old" nwa that would NEVER happen..But hey thanks to crossing our picket line it allowed you to walk right into a job that took YEARS for anyone else to get and you went to top pay scale and didn't have to put in your 5 yrs to get to the top like most of the other scabs did...But on a brighter note I still walked into a job paying 20k more than you are making.. Atleast I can enjoy a wage that WE fought for and the great thing is I don't have pay any union dues.

Lineguy43,
Glad to hear you landing on your feet! Does that have anthing to do with your avatar?

As for the SCABS at NW, the NW AMT's that crossed and went back are low but they do not compare to the low lifes that would answer an ad to take another mans job. They did not get any "super" seniority and I can only hope that DL recalls all who want to come back and then furlough out the SCABS.

Take care.

Lineguy43,
Glad to hear you landing on your feet! Does that have anthing to do with your avatar?

As for the SCABS at NW, the NW AMT's that crossed and went back are low but they do not compare to the low lifes that would answer an ad to take another mans job. They did not get any "super" seniority and I can only hope that DL recalls all who want to come back and then furlough out the SCABS.

Take care.

Oh yeah..LOL cat landing on it's feet..No my avatar looks exacly like my cat at home so that's why I use it..

This merger will generate job loss; I only hope that the first techs to go are the NW replacement and original NW tech crossovers. Not a Delta tech. The only one’s that prove to be trustworthy are the recalled 444.
I wish this would also be true, but I doubt that is how it will play out. If the lists are merged with DOH the scabs would all be near the bottom. The problem they are all most all in DTW and MSP. Say the cuts come in CVG and SLC. The only way the scabs would be out is if guys from those stations choose to move and displace them. I'm thinking most would just take the furlough and walk away.

You mentioned there are about 600 original AMFA mechanics on furlough. Were most of these guys also MSP and DTW? Or were there a lot of line station guys. If so which stations were large, say above 50 mechanics? What will these guys do if DL starts remanning these stations with company mechanics and gets rid of the contract operations? Will they come back? Or have they washed their hands of this industry?

I wish this would also be true, but I doubt that is how it will play out. If the lists are merged with DOH the scabs would all be near the bottom. The problem they are all most all in DTW and MSP. Say the cuts come in CVG and SLC. The only way the scabs would be out is if guys from those stations choose to move and displace them. I'm thinking most would just take the furlough and walk away.

You mentioned there are about 600 original AMFA mechanics on furlough. Were most of these guys also MSP and DTW? Or were there a lot of line station guys. If so which stations were large, say above 50 mechanics? What will these guys do if DL starts remanning these stations with company mechanics and gets rid of the contract operations? Will they come back? Or have they washed their hands of this industry?
Very good questions, most I can't answer as they pertain to each individual. Here's a link to the list:

http://www.amfa33.org/PDF/2008%20Tech%20Re...1%2023%2008.pdf

Hey Al :lol:

Nice to see you back :up:
How is your son doing? Finish Boot Camp OK?

Later,
B) UT
Hey UAL! My boy is doing fine...he is an official 11 Bravo now, (heavy machine gunner) He deploys to the ME in the fall. My eldest daughter just recieved an Army Commendation medal for her performance at the NTC, and is up for merritorious SGT. She leaves this summer for the sand box. Fortunately I was able to talk my youngest OUT of enlisting, at least until she graduates high school next June. (two blue stars is enough for Dad)

Oh and yeah CSAR must be nice to walk right into a gen inspection job.. at the "old" nwa that would NEVER happen..But hey thanks to crossing our picket line it allowed you to walk right into a job that took YEARS for anyone else to get and you went to top pay scale and didn't have to put in your 5 yrs to get to the top like most of the other scabs did...But on a brighter note I still walked into a job paying 20k more than you are making.. Atleast I can enjoy a wage that WE fought for and the great thing is I don't have pay any union dues.
Ya know, your point would be valid if I had never wrenched on an aircraft prior to coming here, had NO NDT or boroscope experience, had never done a recieving inspection, or had never stamped off an RII inspection. On of the most costly mistakes made by the union was believing that ALL the replacements were either illegal aliens who bought their ticket, crack smoking cessna mechanics, or had NEVER wrenched on commercial aircraft. Unfortunately for you, this was not the case. But thanks for playing anyway.
On a serious note, I am glad that you were able to move on and find a better source of employment. This only re-itterates my oft repeated claim that there IS life outside the airlines. You have now discovered what most of us have known for years.

Al,
I think the mistake the union made was thinking that anyone with as much qualification as you claim to have would also have the ability and moral compass to find work elsewhere. As you have proven by your actions, the union was mistaken in belive that that kind of man still existed.

I think you will be surprised to find that even though Delta AMT'S are non-union, they are not anti-labor.
I am proud to say that I did not work with one Line AMT that I know of in DFW that touched a NW plane while the strike was on!

Latest posts

Back