Why the DOJ Wants to Clip Delta's Wings

I'm not being condescending, Kevin.

You and he decided you were going to attempt to discredit me by arguing terminology that you didn't even use correctly.

I am more than happy to share what I know but when you and he decide to whip up a peer frenzy to argue every point that I say about concepts that I understand very well, then you shouldn't be surprised that the board denigrates into an overheated pissing match.

I specifically used the term "Network carrier" to refer to DL's position in all large Florida cities except for MIA.

700 came back and used all carriers while you two went on trying to argue that my terminology was wrong.

Yes, 700s claim is correct but he came back with a statistic that is different from what I originally cited, and which was and still remains correct.

It is no different from him arguing that US outsources based on one statistic while refusing to acknowledge that the statistic he has chosen to use is not industry accepted and based on industry accepted classifications US has the highest rate of overall maintenance outsourcing among US NETWORK carriers.

It also is no different from him arguing that pensions does not include defined contribution plans when the Dept. of Labor and IRS specifically use the term pensions to include DC plans.

He is either being argumentative or doesn't know what he is talking about. There are plenty of indications that BOTH are correct.

If you and a whole lot of other people would get past your pride that someone else might actually know something you don't, then we could have a civil conversation around here.

And, on a somewhat cooler note, yes, Kev, WN and DL are both major airlines. DL is categorized as a network airline (the term legacy is sometimes used) along with AA, AS, UA, and US while low cost carrier includes WN, B6, F9, and others.

Specific to the point that 700 tried to raise regarding the reduction of CVG, MEM, and DFW, DL from a network standpoint does not care near as much about how many passengers pass THRU the airport as it does about how much revenue DL collects from local revenue passengers. DL has retained its relative market position in all of those hubs and former hubs as well as in the Florida cities EVEN THOUGH it has downsized its operations in all of them.

It also is noteworthy that DL is the largest NETWORK carrier in all of its hubs and in most cases it is also the largest carrier in its hubs using all categories of airlines.

DL's ability to gain a revenue advantage is directly related to its strength in its hubs. DL gained a 112% domestic revenue advantage in the most recent quarter because of its hub strength.

WN understands the concept which is why it does not like to compete directly against other carriers in its largest markets.

US understands the concept which is why it has focused the bulk of its revenue in the east around CLT, PHL, and DCA - cities where it also says it has the highest profit margin.

AA and UA both have major hubs where they are not the largest carrier.

AA/US will lose significant amounts of pricing power in DCA and DFW as a result of the fall of the WA - the point I have been making for months but everyone here wants to argue against.

Size absolutely translates into pricing power and the DOJ was rightly concerned about market concentration leading to a lack of pricing control. Even when the country is divided between 4 large airlines, each one will have strength markets in which they can price based on strength; there are other places where they are at a pricing disadvantage.

Regardless of whether we are talking about network or low cost airlines, there is pricing strength that comes from higher levels of market share.

It isn't a surprise that DL, US, and WN have had some of the stronger domestic RASM improvement numbers; they have the strongest positions in their major markets.

Further, DL builds hubs around cities which have strong enough local demand to support the volume of flights that are necessary to compete in the region in which the city exists and connects spokes to those hubs including in markets such as MDW which other NETWORK carriers choose not to serve but which DL has connected to its largest hubs.

It is precisely because DL intends to be the largest NETWORK airline in as many markets as possible, that it is pursuing service at DAL just as it gains a revenue advantage in markets such as CHI-DTW where DL serves both Chicago airports.

I would very much like to have a

Reactions: 1 person
ones that I used correctly for a very specific reason.

Despite what everyone here seems to think, DL doesn't try to be the biggest in every market. But it does know in which markets it needs to be number one and among which competitors.

DL's strategy to pull flights from Florida to a level that allowed WN and B6 to become dominant was well-calculated but still left DL with the necessary mass to have pricing control where it mattered.

In DFW, DL's relative position as number two in the market didn't change even though the hub was pulled down.

AT CVG and MEM, DL still is the largest airline in the local market.

As I have noted, other airlines have pulled down their hubs and lost control of the local market.

It is DL's ability to maintain its position in markets even if in a well-defined subgroup that it has achieved the level of revenue premium that it has.

thank you for the opportunity to cordially discuss key issues in the industry. :)

You cannot understand the concept of why absolute market share matters in some markets and why relative market share matters in others and then attempt to say that I am looking for an out.

You either want to argue a point you don't understand or you won't admit that there is a very good reason why I put that qualifier in there in the first place.

DL doesn't care about trying to win over every passenger that flies to Florida. A huge percentage are solely price driven and will have no more loyalty to DL or any other airline on the next trip. Much of Florida and other leisure destinations is about large volumes of low fare traffic. That is why Delta Express did. Song tried to take the product upscale to compete directly with B6 but DL doesn't have the costs to be #1 in every market. That is why DL has not tried to chase B6 as being the largest carrier in NYC-Florida.

DL does very much care about B6 in markets like NYC-BUF and BOS and even JAX which is much more business-like than the rest of Florida; in each case DL has been very aggressive in shifting share from B6 esp. by focusing on LGA because LGA is the preferred business airport.

Again, the qualifier was there for a reason and you cannot tell me you understand that reason which I have explained here and then try to say that I am looking for an out.

DL has a very good grasp of how to build its network, has done it very successfully, has defended well what it has built, and enjoys a significant revenue premium to the industry because of it.

They know where to put those qualifiers and where they matter. I have now told you.

if you want to call it an out, then you go ahead.

It is not an out but a legitimate explanation for a strategy.

Do you understand that concept, Kevin?

Bottom line is WN is larger than DL in the cities I posted, WN is the largest domestic carrying passenger airline, and carries more passengers in the USA than DL.

Reactions: 2 people
Actually you are wrong about DFW also.

AA is #1 with 71%, Eagle is #2 with an 11.1% market share and DL and Spirit are tied for #3 with 3.7% market share and US is #4 with a 3% market share.

WorldTraveler said:
AA/US will lose significant amounts of pricing power in DCA and DFW as a result of the fall of the WA - the point I have been making for months but everyone here wants to argue against.

The ending of the Wright has NOTHING to do with pricing power in DCA.

Actually you are wrong about DFW also.

AA is #1 with 71%, Eagle is #2 with an 11.1% market share and DL and Spirit are tied for #3 with 3.7% market share and US is #4 with a 3% market share.
Do you thrive on running around trying to tell people they are wrong only to have to be corrected over and over again on subjects about which you clearly are out of your league?

Are you so full of pride that you can't admit that someone else really knows what they are talking about?

I'm sorry but once again you can't seem to grasp the concept between the local market and traffic carried.

With your arrogance and your continued desire to prove someone wrong who clearly understands more about the business of the airline industry than you do, you do absolute wonders at convincing DL employees why unions are a really bad idea.

Go look at DOT statistics and not DFW traffic reports and you will understand the concept of local market share and not passenger boardings.

Further, even DFW airport and DOT statistics do show that DL is the 2nd largest marketing carrier at DFW on a cumulative year to date basis even if NK has boarded more passengers than DL on a month here or there.

You do realize that rooting for NK to be larger than DL just so you can argue against me means that AA has weaker pricing power? Just like in DCA, you don't want to admit that a low cost carrier - that is the gov't's term - DOES have the real ability to lower fare levels even for AA in their hub market and DOT stats show that NK has done that in DFW, even with their relatively small presence per market.

It also doesn't change that NK could double its traffic at DFW and they still wouldn't carry as much revenue as DL does because network carriers such as AA, DL, UA, and US carry far more revenue than NK which is very important in a business-heavy market like DFW.

It is also why WN will succeed with its DAL expansion. They are not targeting a few flights priced at low fares to leisure destinations. They are targeting the top business markets and will serve them with enough capacity and frequency to win business travelers, the bread and butter for AA at DFW. The same principle will apply to the DCA and LGA slot divestitures which also explains why ULCC carriers like NK will not be able to justify the price necessary to buy the slots while B6 and WN can.

Latest posts