15-day countdown to strike, night of Aug. 15

You, obviously, don't know what it takes to be a flight attendant. The long days, odd hours, loss of sleep, flea bag hotels, working in an 8000' cabin, training, etc.
I'd bet you work in an office...
I support and respect the NW F/A's.
Anyone remember Richard Colvin Reid? These days F/A's have more duties. Where's a sky marshal when you need on....

Why is that such a shocking revelation? I hate to be blunt, but let's be honest about it. It doesn't take a lot of skill or ability to be an FA. Selling clothes at Nordstroms is probably a more difficult (and thus should be higher paid) position than passing out sodas as a flight attendant. How being an FA became a career choice is still a bit puzzling to me. It should be in the same job class as waiting tables, delivering pizza, and all the other transitional jobs in our economy. It's like it's the big pink elephant in the room that nobody wants to talk about or admit, but when you look at the true demands of the job in an unbias manner, you can come to no other conclusion. What am I missing here?
Yeah, lets be blunt finny. It also doesn't take much to be a spineless management office "yes" boy who risks permently implanting his nose in the man's crack if he stops suddenly.
How one can sit in an office as low level robot sucking up to man, pushing papers, and plotting who he can stab in the back next to get that promotion is beyond me. I guess the term "servitude" comes to mind.

You just might get the chance to be a F/A finny, they might be hard to come by at Scab Air in the very near future. If your told to be a F/A by your master, you will comply without a whimper. My guess is you wouldn't last a week. What your missing is what most of Scab Air management is missing, a functional brain that not stuck in the "arrogant" mode. Is it any wonder your shell of an airline is tanking? :unsure:

You, obviously, don't know what it takes to be a flight attendant. The long days, odd hours, loss of sleep, flea bag hotels, working in an 8000' cabin, training, etc.
I'd bet you work in an office...
I support and respect the NW F/A's.
I don't disrespect them, I just don't buy that it takes a highly skilled person to do the job. Any job that a high school dropout can be trained to do in a couple weeks, and do it just as productively as a 20 year veteran, is a transitional job by definition. I just think it's high time we go back to the old days when FA's were only young single women that were doing the job to have fun flying around for a few years until they moved on and either got married or got moved into a higher paying career. That's just my honest opinion.

Yeah, lets be blunt finny. It also doesn't take much to be a spineless management office "yes" boy who risks permently implanting his nose in the man's crack if he stops suddenly.
How one can sit in an office as low level robot sucking up to man, pushing papers, and plotting who he can stab in the back next to get that promotion is beyond me. I guess the term "servitude" comes to mind.

You just might get the chance to be a F/A finny, they might be hard to come by at Scab Air in the very near future. If your told to be a F/A by your master, you will comply without a whimper. My guess is you wouldn't last a week. What your missing is what most of Scab Air management is missing, a functional brain that not stuck in the "arrogant" mode. Is it any wonder your shell of an airline is tanking? :unsure:

You would be surprised by the diverse backgrounds of today's f/as. Multiple degrees, social workers, nurses, lawyers, teachers, former police officers, moms, dads, ministers, realtors, you name it, the f/a has tried it. My guess is that you would be the first one to cry like a baby in an emergency. You're the type that grabs onto the f/a and has a "come to Jesus" moment about the real value of the crew. In flight service is just to keep you from getting too bored since it is well known that people lose all sense of reality in that long thin tube. Besides, those of us who have enjoyed the career were smart enough to apply and and when I was hired (back in the dark ages) enjoyed the mystique associated with the position. Sounds like you might be a tad bit jealous. I know my family has enjoyed the "spoils" of my being a working mom 8 to 10 days (actually nights as I flew all night turn around flights) a month with the rest of the time to devote to being a full time stay at home parent. Add trips to Europe and any place being studied and it was a win win. But the best part of the career was the incredible co-workers who shared all of the milestones of my life. That is something you will never experience.

I don't disrespect them, I just don't buy that it takes a highly skilled person to do the job. Any job that a high school dropout can be trained to do in a couple weeks, and do it just as productively as a 20 year veteran, is a transitional job by definition. I just think it's high time we go back to the old days when FA's were only young single women that were doing the job to have fun flying around for a few years until they moved on and either got married or got moved into a higher paying career. That's just my honest opinion.

Would you still be of the same mind if you ever found yourself in a situation like this?

http://www.twaflight843.com/

You would be surprised by the diverse backgrounds of today's f/as. Multiple degrees, social workers, nurses, lawyers, teachers, former police officers, moms, dads, ministers, realtors, you name it, the f/a has tried it. My guess is that you would be the first one to cry like a baby in an emergency. You're the type that grabs onto the f/a and has a "come to Jesus" moment about the real value of the crew. In flight service is just to keep you from getting too bored since it is well known that people lose all sense of reality in that long thin tube. Besides, those of us who have enjoyed the career were smart enough to apply and and when I was hired (back in the dark ages) enjoyed the mystique associated with the position. Sounds like you might be a tad bit jealous. I know my family has enjoyed the "spoils" of my being a working mom 8 to 10 days (actually nights as I flew all night turn around flights) a month with the rest of the time to devote to being a full time stay at home parent. Add trips to Europe and any place being studied and it was a win win. But the best part of the career was the incredible co-workers who shared all of the milestones of my life. That is something you will never experience.
I'm certainly not jeoulous. I'm not gay, so I wouldn't make the cut as a male FA. I'm just making an economic observation. You're story kind of supports my assessment that it is a very good lifestyle job, which means there are more poeple that want to do it, which means the supply and demand curve puts the price point at a very low level. I.E., a very easy job that anybody is capable of doiong and that a lot of people want to do should be very low paying positions in a free labor market.

I'm certainly not jeoulous. I'm not gay, so I wouldn't make the cut as a male FA. I'm just making an economic observation. You're story kind of supports my assessment that it is a very good lifestyle job, which means there are more poeple that want to do it, which means the supply and demand curve puts the price point at a very low level. I.E., a very easy job that anybody is capable of doiong and that a lot of people want to do should be very low paying positions in a free labor market.
Well if you were to make it a low paying position then I doubt "a lot of people would want to do it" now would they?
You been drinking tonight finny? you sure are throwing the gay and woman insults around. Time for NW to start some sensitivity training they can start at the top and work their way down to the peon offices you work in. dang!

Well if you were to make it a low paying position then I doubt "a lot of people would want to do it" now would they?
Exactly!! The wages would be low enough so there would a supply of people willing to work that is equivelant to the demand for that position. Now you've mastered economics 101.

You been drinking tonight finny? you sure are throwing the gay and woman insults around. Time for NW to start some sensitivity training they can start at the top and work their way down to the peon offices you work in. dang!
Actually, yes; quite heavily.

Regardless, I'm just making very factual statements that nobody seems to want to debate directly. I don't do political correctness; that's for my alter ego to worry about.

I dont even know how to respond to this. If this is how the management of NW sees their employees you need to leave-strike or quit quickly. I cant believe anyone would say you wouldnt do this job because you are not gay and that this job should be done by young single women before they get married. Finman, before, I had some respect for you but you have just turned my stomach. I guess you can have a college degree and still be ignorant. Dont bother to respond. That post told us all we need to know about you. You are a disgrace to your company and to your fellow coworkers.

I'm certainly not jeoulous. I'm not gay, so I wouldn't make the cut as a male FA. I'm just making an economic observation.

My observation is you are a bigoted pile of manure. Between it not being a real job, people shouldn't make it careers and the ASSumption that all male FA's are gay I think I have a firm basis for my observation.

Ahh, I assume your post was directed at the arrogant Scab Air management pencil pusher finman, than myself? I have an ex-GF that is a flight attendant, and personally know a few more as friends. I am fully aware of the talent in the F/A corps. I support the F/A's and the fight against rogue Scab Air management that thinks all workers and unionists are to blame for the failures of their flawed business plan.

Take care.

Back