1549 Airbus going to museum in Charlotte

Hudson River jet to be housed in aviation museum after miraculous landing

The US Airways jet that made a miracle landing on the Hudson River in New York is be housed in a museum.

Officials with the Carolinas Aviation Museum have bought the damaged jet from the insurance company that owns it.

Read more

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1344418/Hudson-River-jet-housed-aviation-museum.html

Later,
Eye

I'm glad to hear that this important artifact of aviation history is not going to the scrap heap. It's too bad it won't be going to the much higher profile aviation museum where it really belongs:

Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum

Maybe locating this aircraft to the Charlotte museum will be a needed boost to their profile. I suggested to the NYC museum that they claim this exhibit as a centerpiece for airline safety, and, considering the entire event took place in view of (literally a few hundred feet away from) the Intrepid flight deck, I was dismayed that the NYC museum never even acknowledged my suggestion. I thought it would be a great crowd draw for them, and told them so. Opportunity missed, and congrats to the Carolinas Aviation Museum.

Is it really a good thing that people will be able to see an aircraft in company colors that crashed as they taxi, takeoff or land?

Is it really a good thing that people will be able to see an aircraft in company colors that crashed as they taxi, takeoff or land?

My guess is that it will be indoors. I have been in the facility and it is huge! There is more than one building large enough to contain the A/C.

However, just like everything else... it is simply a marketing ploy. Think about it... they are turning an otherwise worthless heap of wreckage into revenue and commerce!

I did happen to meet the director of the museum, and he indicated that he would be looking for volunteers from US to assist in the project.

Any takers?

Here is a museum link if you are interested... CAM

Reactions: 2 people
My guess is that it will be indoors. I have been in the facility and it is huge! There is more than one building large enough to contain the A/C.

However, just like everything else... it is simply a marketing ploy. Think about it... they are turning an otherwise worthless heap of wreckage into revenue and commerce!

I did happen to meet the director of the museum, and he indicated that he would be looking for volunteers from US to assist in the project.

Any takers?

Here is a museum link if you are interested... CAM

Hey Roa,
is this an all outside museum? Is this museum on the CLT airfield and viewable from the runways while taxiing?

Reactions: 1 person
Hey Roa,
is this an all outside museum? Is this museum on the CLT airfield and viewable from the runways while taxiing?

Actually, the museum is located on airport property, it is situated in what used to be either the Wachovia… or Bank of America Corporate Aviation Facility. It was no longer needed after the Bank Mergers, so it has been redesigned to house the museum.

It is quite modern with several very large hangars. Yes it can be seen from the terminal area if you look to the east next to the NC National Air National Guard (C-130’s) Most of what they have is stored inside, but they have several satellite storage areas that I have been to… they have a lot stuff!

However, I don’t think I’ll volunteer to scrape mud when 1549 returns.

Actually, the museum is located on airport property, it is situated in what used to be either the Wachovia… or Bank of America Corporate Aviation Facility. It was no longer needed after the Bank Mergers, so it has been redesigned to house the museum.

It is quite modern with several very large hangars. Yes it can be seen from the terminal area if you look to the east next to the NC National Air National Guard (C-130’s) Most of what they have is stored inside, but they have several satellite storage areas that I have been to… they have a lot stuff!

However, I don’t think I’ll volunteer to scrape mud when 1549 returns.
The move to the former HawkAire hangar (Wachovia) is temporary, the original museum on the old Airport Dr is in the middle of being moved due to the new TW D extension...

The move to the former HawkAire hangar (Wachovia) is temporary, the original museum on the old Airport Dr is in the middle of being moved due to the new TW D extension...

Thanks...

Any word on a permanent facility?

I know there is talk of putting Sully's plane on display in a simulated water landing environment... fully assembled... with interior and exterior access to visitors.

Whereas there has been countless publicity on Flight 1549 (and rightfully so), the IMPACT of preserving this aircraft is Immeasurable. People will be curious to see what The ACTUAL Hull looks like after the Event but Seeing It will make You be Thankful for how Everything Worked Out. The "Miracle on The Hudson" as it's been dubbed is a critical chapter in Aviation History and May We never witness another Incident of It's Magnitude. What the Museum should attempt to Do is Promote the Exhibit as a "Celebration of Life" at it's Darkest Moment........and have a tribute to all it's Survivors. Everyone DID survive the accident (which was truly a Miracle) but I am sure there are Many Individuals who are Scarred for Life and have Struggles with many facets of life after going through this Event. NO ONE should minimize what happened to these Survivors that literally had a Near Death Experience. I know that I don't. I have spoken with several of the Crew and Passengers on this flight and walk away EVERY TIME wondering "What would I have Done? Could I have done It as well? Would I have been as Lucky? There are Many EVENTS in History that can Impact One's Life and This Is ONE of the Few "Feel Good Stories" that people can really learn alot from. EVERY ONE of those people have A STORY to tell and I certainly hope a Fitting Tribute is Made to Honor THE LIVING, The Survivors and not just make it a Tourist Attraction of a battered airship. That would be sad and We would have learned nothing.

Thanks...

Any word on a permanent facility?

I know there is talk of putting Sully's plane on display in a simulated water landing environment... fully assembled... with interior and exterior access to visitors.

The permanent facility is actually going to be the original hangar, it is being move maybe 150' to the northeast to get it out of the taxiway safety area. The airport managment (and we know who that is) with their "we can do what we want attitude" has encountered some building code issues due to the move, so the building has been sitting on dollies for the last month.

Latest posts