5TH week vacation coming back?

The idea is that there are always people who had extra vacation to burn at the end of the year and if the end of the vacation year fell at the end the calendar year when there is already increased demand for vacation and floating holiday usage, it could make it more difficult for some people to get time off and create extra administrative work.
It is simply an adjustment to help spread out the end of cycles.

For some reason, the federal government uses a non-calendar year fiscal year and there are companies that still do the same.

I'm sure they could but DL made that decision decades ago and I don't think anyone is better or worse off because of it..... it is just one of those things that IS.

Ranks up there with the procedure that DL flight ops uses to indicate when a flight is cleared to land... others do it differently and neither are more right or wrong.....

Again, it seems you like to put words in other peoples mouth but luckily, I really don't care what others say or think of me. But never, not once did I say I was working OT, while others were being laid off or that I enjoyed working OT while others got walked out the door....................you seem to paint pictures that fit your agenda !

Never said representation offers "NO" value...............they just offer "Little" value and just why do the Unions spend millions trying to get their hands in your pockets? Ooppss.................think I answered my own question there !

Seems someone has problems with a company promoting itself !
So, did you work OT as they walked your coworkers out the door or not?

1383205_10151912467678629_917063336_n.jpg

Business development under way I see. IAM ramp agreements suck. UAL is going to seven stations for scope, US is among the lowest paid in the industry, AS outsources even hubs to vendors, HA contract allows outsourcing and ready reserve. The IAM can push for whatever they want but ultimately they will only get what the company is willing to give them. And having destroyed the craft as it is with pathetic agreements, DL will be in a position of strength.

Josh

a union decision is about delivering something of value to the employees they represent. If unions, any union, delivered something of value to DL employees, they would be rushing to hire a union to represent them. Not only are they not rushing to hire them, but we have pages and pages of threads on this forum about how unions at other airlines are failing to do the job they were hired to do.

Companies don't need to fight real hard when unions, even in the eyes of some of their supporters on this forum, can't get their act together and continually have to fight off other unions from the outside and internal power grabs within those unions.

DL employees can see it and so do other employees at other airlines. The only reason that union levels remain as high as they are in the airline industry is because it is very difficult to completely get rid of a union. Surveys on this forum have shown that many unionized employees within the airline industry would prefer to have no union.

It also doesn't hurt DL's corporate cause when it will be able to announce tomorrow profit sharing for most ground workers that will amount to around $1000 for just a single quarter's work.

Human beings in a capitalist society will make economic decisions first. DL is giving its employees the greatest reason to not mess with the formula that works for those employees while unions are providing example after example of how they fail to deliver and protect what they have been charged to deliver.

The decision for DL employees couldn't be easier to make.

Didn't the IAM buy Billy O'Driscoll a castle in Ireland for his retirement? He also has an AA A5 pass for positive space FC travel, never worked for AA nor did the IAM represent AA employees.

Josh

Kev what are the implications of AS finding a new vendor in ~12 stations for DL ramp/ACS? Do
you know which stations are impacted? I know BOS and DCA are.

Josh

Kev what are the implications of AS finding a new vendor in ~12 stations for DL ramp/ACS?

I guess it depends on what you mean by implications? For DL? For AS? How it'll affect their current relationship? Traffic patterns at SEA? Staffing?

Do
you know which stations are impacted? I know BOS and DCA are.

Josh

Um, let's see... off the top of my head:

AUS
ATL
BOS
DFW
EWR (I think?)
IAH ( I think?)
MCI
MSP
SAT (I think?)
SLC
STL
TUS

Implications for DL employees at the impacted stations. Could it be the marginal revenue AS agreement brings in makes it economical to keep m/l ramp that would otherwise be contracted? Could happen. Surprised I thought DL did at DCA.

Josh

DL is growing its network, primarily because AA and US are both adding capacity in an apparent attempt to show the DOT that they will aggressively compete. DL has a lot of flexibility in its fleet plan to grow and the indications are that they will do that. Thus, there is no risk to DL employees by losing AS' business, mostly because the end of the contracts will happen just before DL can start ramping up their own internal growth.

Some of those routes, like ATL and MSP, probably won't work for AS if they don't have the ability to pick up DL passengers in DL's hubs. In contrast, DL is using 76 seat regional jets while AS is using mainline aircraft. DL has a large int'l operation at SEA that is feeding while AS is competing for domestic passengers. It isn't hard to see who has a bigger task in order to make their flights work - on top of the fact that SEA is not an ideal location for a domestic hub.

DL's goal has always been just to feed its int'l markets while AS has seen the DL relationship as an opportunity to grow in DL hubs by picking up DL passengers - and AS' addition of SLC and other hubs is part of why DL is upset with AS. DL wouldn't be focused on adding multiple flights per day in AS' key west coast markets if AS weren't raiding DL's hubs.

The combined necessity that DL has to grow its network along with AA and US' growth mean that capacity discipline in the industry is being set aside for the time being which means that DL people will have plenty of flights to work - they will just be working more flights on DL metal.

Implications for DL employees at the impacted stations. Could it be the marginal revenue AS agreement brings in makes it economical to keep m/l ramp that would otherwise be contracted? Could happen. Surprised I thought DL did at DCA.

With this outfit, anything's possible.

The MSP ramp will probably just breathe a sigh of relief, as they're ramp (staffing) numbers are down significantly YoY...

You may be right about DCA... I'd have to look.

the size of AS' operation at MSP is far lower than the amount of natural attrition DL would have from its own people. With six months notice, they could do nothing to their own operation and it would have no effect on DL staffing.

If MSP ramp staffing is down, can you calculate the number of ramp employees per flight worked and compare the results across other hubs? I would suspect that if MSP ramp staffing is down it is only because they had more staff compared to other cities to begin with. DL's mainline flight ops at MSP are in line with the rest of the system. Even though ATL and DTW are going to be the first pilot bases for the 717, there is no doubt the 717s will start flowing thru MSP at the "expense" of some of RJ flights.

As for DCA, the chances are very high that DL will pick up some slots from AA/US if their merger goes thru.

Back