6 Muslin Imams remove from US Airways Flight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting that your entire rant against bigotry was FULL of bigotry

Could you please point out those bigotries? Infact, I never said a word about bigotry. I simply pointed out that we need to be smarter in deciding between what is a threat and what is fear based prejudism, which many express under the disguise of the "on-going war on terror.

All of us are at some extent prejudice. I will be the first to say I have a prejudice against religions...ALL religions. I see them ALL as a threat.

How many of you can be as honest. The difference is I don't over react on the aircraft. Funny I'm cast as a bigot for defending one's right to pray.

Learn to read, my friend.

Man LCC#1, you are so far out in left field it's scary.

We're trying to prevent another 9/11 and you're telling us that we're using it as an excuse to be prejudicial to Muslims.

Wow! Good luck with your prejudices pal. From what I just read in that last post you got yourself a problem.

pilot

Hummm...I have a problem with allowing people to PRAY. ME, who is outwardly against religion but respects a person's right to pray? Interesting. According to the news..and I had stated in another post we don't probably have all the facts..this apparently started with a passenger feeling uncomfortable because of the men's PRAYER ritual. While I have NO respect for religion (which I guess makes me prejudice), I DO respect the right for a person to PRACTICE their religion. If that makes me far left and scarey, I'll take it. The only problem I have are people like you who can't read and comprehend without jumping to conclusions that are waaaay off base.

ummmm......O.K., Good luck with that......

Sorry you were so busy hawking the boards before I edited my post. Ummm, yeah hate was too strong. That's why I changed my post. I just have no respect for religions of any kind. When people stop KILLING over religion...which, yes..Islam radicals have the corner these days...then I will change my viewpoint. If that makes me prejudice, then I guess I am.

While I respect the right of people to practice their religion, I have to say that in this case it appears that the powers that be erred on the side of caution. Were I in that position I probably would have responded in a similar way.

What sticks out for me is the fact that not only did they refuse to stop what they were doing, it appeared that none of them bothered to explain to anyone what was going on. Furthermore, if they refused to get off the aircraft, that is a violation unto itself if not mistaken.

What bothers me most is that they denied knowing each other, when in fact the reservations were made at the same time and place, and changes were also made simultaneously.

Unfortunately, while I do have issues with profiling in general, I DO feel the TSA should begin profiling as the Israelis do. I'd rather hurt someone's feelings than allow another tragedy.

My best to you ALL...

Could you please point out those bigotries? Infact, I never said a word about bigotry. I simply pointed out that we need to be smarter in deciding between what is a threat and what is fear based prejudism, which many express under the disguise of the "on-going war on terror.

All of us are at some extent prejudice. I will be the first to say I have a prejudice against religions...ALL religions. I see them ALL as a threat.

How many of you can be as honest. The difference is I don't over react on the aircraft. Funny I'm cast as a bigot for defending one's right to pray.

Learn to read, my friend.

No doubt, in this arena, discrimination has risen its ugly head. But, what I don't see on any grand scale, a level of acceptable profiling by our society for other reasons than those of the middle eastern decent acting in such a way that creates a fear, specifically at airports and on a/c. I don't think that "fear" is somehow displaced.

I personally am having a difficult time with the issue myself and try not to think that those who practice Islam are warped. And it will take time for most to be at ease. The muslims community can do so much more to calm the public's apprehension and fear. Why they don't is beyond my comprehension. Why is it societies personal responsibility to "ease the fears" themselves. Folks are human...if those who practice Islam are not to be feared, what can the muslim community do, or how can they engage those secular folks to embrace this religion's true doctrine and have tolerance and acceptance... like any other religion?

Feeling fear and profiling a group in this manner for many is a very uncomforable place to be....

I have to agree with you 100%. Racial profiling is "politically incorrect" but unfortunately it's something we have been reduced to because of irrational thinking of certain terroists. It doesn't matter if they are muslims, irish or german, it needs to be addressed. They made their reservations the same time? AND they changed them the same time? AND they deny knowing each other??!! Why are we even having this discussion?
[/quote]

The muslims community can do so much more to calm the public's apprehension and fear. Why they don't is beyond my comprehension.

I agree 100%. For all the defending of elements of that incident, there never seems to be an outcry against the same people who are caught in the crossfires of this entire terrorism thing. It IS a tough issue. I guess if I didn't hear so many jokes and prejudicial statements from so many of our OWN employees..including pilots...about Arabs, this issue wouldn't bother me so much. But I am deemed a far leftist with problems because I SEE these prejudices and HEAR these remarks and don't want decisions made BASED on those prejudices.

You are betting your life LCC.

And I don't spin. Read your posts if you want to see spin. Facts are facts.

Stereotype? Read what you just wrote.

I won't argue with you. Because you and I see things from a totally different perspective. Yours is plain to see. Mine is too.

Who's right? Ask the next air marshall you fly with what they are looking for regarding threats. Maybe then you'll figure it out.

pilot

However, there is no world wide highly prclaimed movement to destroy or kill the westen culture and those of jewish or christian practice...
Maybe not, but there are plenty of extremists or the Timothy McVeigh type in our own country probably sitting idle while the terrorists do their dirty work. Just when we begin to profile and turn our eyes to everyone but Islamo-fascist terrorists, we'll be caught with our pants down and see more Oklahoma City style killings by disillusioned white men.

While we're at it here, folks, let's remember that race is not the only factor in profiling. There are many behavioral characteristics which can be examined at the same time--is the person nervous? Do they avoid looking agents in the eye? Do they appear agitated?

There are psychological profiles as well. All I am saying is that I'd rather hurt someone's feelings than allow another tragedy.

And not for nothing, I don't see any outreach to the public in general by the Muslim community to educate us as to the TRUE nature of Islam--they seem not to mind that their religion has been hijacked by a bunch of fanatic madmen bent on destroying us.

It's a sorry state of affairs......

Yeah, I remember where I was when I was watching a 'bunch of Latins' use our airplanes as weapons when they killed over 3000 people on our soil by slamming fully fueled jets into the World Trade Center towers, the Pentagon and a field in Pennsylvania.
But not all jihadist are from the middle east. They are number who are of Asian and African decent.

Not all terrorists are from the middle East. These groups have been working there horrors through out the world, Central and South America and Western Europe as well.

I wish it was that easy to spot bad people. Bad people are not so easy to spot. They do not all were black capes and twirl there mustaches.

Sometimes in life we miss the big picture. Its like reading a few chapters from a book. You will cannot understand the content and the context of the whole book thing without reading it completely. If you concentrate on one region or one group of people. You will not catch the other ones who will plan and execute malicious acts of terror.

While we're at it here, folks, let's remember that race is not the only factor in profiling. There are many behavioral characteristics which can be examined at the same time--is the person nervous? Do they avoid looking agents in the eye? Do they appear agitated?

There are psychological profiles as well. All I am saying is that I'd rather hurt someone's feelings than allow another tragedy.

I agree. From what has been in the press, it appears that more than just their 'religion and Middle Eastern descent' was taken into account when asked to get off the plane.

For example, the French Press in Washington D.C. stated that six Muslims "were praying loudly and spouting some kind of anti-US rhetoric regarding the war in Iraq and Saddam Hussein."

They also said a flight attendant thought it was "curious" that the six men were asking for seat-belt extensions which they did not seem to need, as the extensions are given only to larger or obese passengers.

This was beyond just "praying" as some of you have noted. They were ranting about a war in which we currently find ourselves. That coupled with the request for seatbelt extensions should set off a precautionary alarm... it doesn't take a far stretch of the imagination to discover ways in which seatbelt extensions may be used as a weapon.

A bunch of politically correct posters lamenting the fact that people who were there determined, FOR WHATEVER REASON, they were not going to take a chance. As far as the ethnic background of the suspicious passengers - Get over it! The safety of the traveling public is far more important than offending the sensitivites of any ethnic group regardless of their race, color or creed. And that includes any American, Muslim, Arab, Black, White, Red, Green or Blue human being on the face of the earth. Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez.................... We're trying to save lives here. And you cretins are worried about offending someone.
Famous statement of hate cloaked in the equally famous black white red or green, statement. In the same paragraph pointing out you are gunning Muslims.

Would it be great if it were only Muslims who were doing acts of terror. Then we could try to single them out. But sad it is not. Wouldn't it be great if you could tell by a name who is Muslim or not? But you cannot. Wouldn't it be great if by there look, or clothing or belongings? Too bad all those things are easily altered.

Why is everyone so willing to say things like this but afraid of a system that would equally check all people? So that we could stop terrorist of all sorts, be it religion ideology or what ever there cause.
There are people out there that want Americans dead. And the majority of them are of the Muslim faith. That is a fact. Not something someone pulled out of a hat. They will stop at nothing to kill us.

And you worry about offending the innocent ones. I would think the innocent ones would understand our concern. And if they do not then they are offending MY sensibilities.

Islam, educate yourself already!
People want Americans Dead? Newsflash there are more people around the world who wish ill will and death to this country, than just Muslims.

Instead of addressing the problem as to why this is, and see if there is a solution in that. Too many people choose to build on divisiveness and hate. Working to find ways to ignore the how and why we got to this point. Choosing to build on half baked solutions of walls, profiling and restricts of basic freedoms in order, as they will say to protect them.

Iif I were working the gate and saw 6 muslims practising their religious beliefs right before boarding my flight I would be concerned. Right or wrong, I would have to think twice.
I was thinking the same thing. Guess I need sensitivity training

here the solution: they can start their own airlines, call it say...red carpet airlines or allah air, and if one of them feels the need to pray, or REALLY get the itch to blow themselves up, they will all go to "heaven", get all the virgin b*tches they can have and and eternal amount of fa-llaful...peace out..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back