and make millions off of the 30% of
Americans who really don't know any
better.

I hope for the sake of US Airways and
the employees that our government steps
in to fix the artificial oil problem that
is only bound to get worse.
[post="296978"][/post]​

The consumer has not cared, so far, but it sounds like he's about to. It's already showing up at Wal Mart, and scores of other retailers.

Bush and the VP are oil people, and their friends and foes (remember the beared one?) alike are raking in millions.

The US economy is strong, and it remains to be seen if Katrina will put us over the edge, possible into a recession...

Seems to be enough oil on the market, however, refined products such as unleaded and jet fuel are possible in short supply.

But maybe that is what the Bush Adm. really wants, get rid of weaker airlines, help to weaken unions. Using "high oil prices" as an excuse, along with anti labor language, such as outdated contracts etc. etc., will certainly get the public behind them.

Now let's hope for a quick decent of oil prices, to $50-$55 for starters...

SoftLanding (or we might be in for a hard landing in a few months ;)

SpinDoc said:
SpinDoc replies:

Okay. You got me there. There are more
variables to the cost of a gallon of unleaded
than just the price of a barrel of crude oil.
Most Americans understand this. My point
is that the cost of getting a barrel of oil out
of the ground is not anywhere NEAR $71,
and the profits that are being made are
obscene. There has to be a way to force
a price decrease without resorting to
lifestyle changes, such as government
regulation (maybe allow a 20% profit
if someone wants to sell oil in the U.S.
which would equate to $14/bbl).

Also, the government should also force
oil companies to build additional refinery
capacity and keep it operational. Right
now, we are paying $1.50 cents more per
gallon than we need to for regular
unleaded. The Saudis, the U.S. and
European oil companies, and the NYMEX
speculators are all making a killing,
while virtually dooming the overall
U.S. economy. Are they really that
stupid and short-term profit oriented?
If they are, they are in for a rude
awakening when the market collapses
after the U.S. economy tanks hard.
[post="294393"][/post]​

I think some of your post makes sense and is correct. The only wealth I have witnessed increasing by mega billions in net profits is ALL the petroleum companies.

While some of you may not want to admit it, plenty of normal people are very happy with high oil prices - as those prices are making their oil company stocks skyrocket.

Normal people are investors in oil companies?

Yep. Most mutual funds own some Exxon/Mobil, RD Shell and BP. And nearly every pension fund is a large owner of oil company shares.

Pension funds? Yep. Unfortunately, lotsa legacy airline employees have lost theirs, but I haven't heard of any governments walking away from their DB plans.

Lots of people look at high oil prices as another method of "forced savings." Everyone pays more at the pump now but their IRAs, 401Ks and Pension funds are growing every day as those shameful profits pile up at the Big Bad Oil Companies.

It's not like very many people still care about their one dollar DL stock or their soon-to-be-canceled USAir or UAL stock. They understand that as part owners of oil companies, their boat is rising on the tide of high oil and gas prices.

So what if oil prices bankrupt all the airlines? Even a small oil company like Valero has a higher market cap than ALL USA airlines put together.

Airlines still matter to the poor people they employ, but their financial success/failure hardly matters to anyone else.

Me? I'm glad to see expensive oil. The higher, the better. But then again, I have enough money to keep filling up my Escalade. Don't really care how expensive gas gets - I'll still be able to afford it. $5/gallon? Ok. $10? Sure.

I just spent $100k on a kitchen and small remodeling/expansion on my house. The one the appraiser said is worth about $800k more than I paid for it. Just like many of my neighbors. The price of gas is a small fraction of my annual auto insurance and pales in comparison to most other monthly bills.

And if lots of other people can't afford gas? That will just lessen freeway congestion in SoCal. That would be icing on the cake for me. Less gridlock means less time wasted in traffic for me. Expensive gas? Bring it on! :D

Unless you have millions in stock, pal, the indvidual investor 401Ks that are invested in their oil stocks, only see there disposable income shrink to deficit ranges. These folks end up going in debt with credit card charges because they don't have enough disposable income to buy even the necessities. Natural gas prices are going to go through the roof this winter as well.

Sorry, don't buy into your theory, and I have a 401K. :down:

BTW, did i tell you that your post is filled with arrogance and greed? Tell your Uncle Chaney, I send greetings... :angry:

FWAAA said:
While some of you may not want to admit it, plenty of normal people are very happy with high oil prices - as those prices are making their oil company stocks skyrocket.

Me? I'm glad to see expensive oil. The higher, the better. But then again, I have enough money to keep filling up my Escalade. Don't really care how expensive gas gets - I'll still be able to afford it. $5/gallon? Ok. $10? Sure.

SpinDoc replies:

So... You're either one of those greedy
pricks who have been bidding up the
cost of oil, OR, you are just trying to
flame everyone on this board.

Which is it big boy? Not only for the sake
of US Airways and the employees, but
for the sake of the entire economy,
you and your pals had best get your head
screwed back on and recognize that
you're doing more harm than good by
keeping oil prices artificially high.

You know you lose all credibility when you call someone a curse word.

You need to chill out with name calling and bigotry.

Latest posts

Back