8/31/04 Alpa Update

USA320Pilot said:
I received an email message from an MEC Representative that a deal was close and that company and ALPA's financial adivsors are working on the final cost analysis.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot
[post="174432"][/post]​
Please share the email with us in regard to a TA. Unless of course this is more BLAH BLAH BLAH from you! Disrespectfully Yours Jetlaagd

Apparently not much happened today...

This is Jack Stephan with a second US Airways MEC update for Tuesday, August 31st, with one new item.

The MEC reconvened at 2:30 this afternoon at the Key Bridge Marriott in Arlington, VA. Several pilots were in attendance at the meeting and a motion was proffered to allow those present to address the MEC. This discussion and Q&A session lasted approximately five hours, during which time our advisors updated the group on the ramifications of not striking a deal during these Transformation Plan Negotiations. The Negotiating Committee also gave a report in open session on the current state of negotiations.

Of special interest to many of the pilots in attendance was the use of the roll call vote and whether or not they would be given the chance to vote on whatever was brought back to the MEC from the Negotiating Committee. Some MEC members indicated during the open discussion that they may elect to utilize the roll call vote to block any tentative agreement or proposal from reaching the membership for a ratification vote. MEC Chairman Bill Pollock reiterated his commitment to all pilots that he would do everything in his power to convince the MEC that the pilots deserve the right to cast a vote that would determine their careers at US Airways and ensure that this process produce a fair agreement for all pilots.

The Negotiating Committee plans to meet with the Company this evening to receive a counterproposal to their August 30 proposal. When available, that counterproposal will be posted on the pilots only home page under “Negotiating Committee Information.â€￾

The MEC recessed at 8:22pm to the call of the MEC Chairman. For planning purposes, it is anticipated that Chairman Pollock will call the MEC back into session at approximately 12:00 noon tomorrow to receive a report from our Negotiating Committee.

Eventually, the MEC will be presented a proposal that will require action on their part. Future MEC deliberations could very well determine whether or not you get to vote on what the Negotiating Committee brings back to the MEC. All pilots are urged to attend these meetings at the Key Bridge Marriott or at the very least contact your Reps immediately and let them know your feelings on your participation in this process.

Please note that this hotel does not provide transportation from the airport and that portions of the reconvened meeting may be in closed session.

As always, please refer to the code a phone and the pilots only website for the latest information on Transformation Plan Negotiations.

And please remember we have 1,879 pilots on furlough.

Thank you for listening.

Jim,

I thought the big reason some LEC reps were recalled was because many pilots were extremely angry that they didn't get to vote on the last TA. Am I not remembering correctly?

Maybe I've heard so much confabulation the last few weeks, courtesy the DNC, RNC, Swiftboat Vets, etc. I'm doing it myself?

Are you guys going to get a vote? Is the "deadline pressure" being used to deny voting?

I'm getting lost here.

Thanks,

Dea

Dea,

Let's see if I can sort this out. Not getting a vote on previous concessions was a major part of the change in LEC reps at some bases. After we emerged from BK1, a resolution was passed that called for a membership vote on any "agreement that affects pay and/or working conditions". The key word here is "agreement".

As for the future, I suspect you will see a membership vote. In fact, I'd be surprised at any other outcome. While I can't speak for them, I suspect that the RC4 are attempting to ensure that there is, in fact, an agreement to vote on instead of just passing a company offer out for a membership vote. And preferably an agreement that doesn't gut what's left of the contract.

What I personally find amusing is Pollock puffing his chest out and all but guaranteeing a membership vote on something, anything. He recently granted temporary relief on bidding for recurrent training (a "working condition") without even consulting the MEC, or at least the entire MEC.

Jim

AP Tech said:
I missed the part where the union was "very close " to an agreement. Seems to me like they simply exchanged proposals? :huh:
[post="174418"][/post]​

I thought they got one last weekend. :unsure: This thread has already disappeared back to page 5.

ALPA TA This Weekend

O.K., I could have placed a question mark into the title, but I have talked with a number of ALPA Reps and it appears the deadline for the parties is Sunday.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot

(But I never said which Sunday! :shock: )

BoeingBoy said:
Apparently not much happened today...

This is Jack Stephan with a second US Airways MEC update for Tuesday, August 31st, with one new item.

Several pilots were in attendance at the meeting and a motion was proffered to allow those present to address the MEC. This discussion and Q&A session lasted approximately five hours, ...
[post="174621"][/post]​

Do I need to actually ask the obvious question?

tadjr,

That's ok. Go back to just after mid-June and see his prognosis for what the final agreement would look like. It's good for a laugh.

Jim

Latest posts