A Good Start

700UW said:
You can't sell something you don't own. The US Airways' LGA Terminal is leased from Continental Airlines and CO has first the first rites to take the terminal back. US can't sublease it or sell it as they do not own it.

Once again, don't let the facts get in your way.
[post="267481"][/post]​

Actually 700 UAIR CAN sublease the terminal if it wants/needs to. They can do this just as they sublease certain properties on the field such as 3 spots along the blastfence to DL for their commuter operation, and soon will be subleasing the Auto - shop to the conract vendor Globe Ground when they take the Auto Shop over full time. UAIR also subleases commuter spots in front of the American hanger. (old TW ) So practice what you preach dont let the facts get in your way!

Go read the POR in the first BK settlement agreement and you might change your mind, it is article #53 US settlement with CAL.

LGA/037 is right about the LaGuardia Delta blast fence area for Comair, which was formally used by the US Airways Shuttle to park the standby aircraft, the Auto Shop, and the commuter parking spots.

Meanwhile, there have been multiple options discussed to raise US Airways’ liquidity and one option is to sell the LGA terminal. There are two parts to this option.

The first part is that New York City has an ordinance that it will provide New York based companies tax breaks and other incentives if they base their operations in the City. JetBlue is based in Queen’s and qualifies for incentives at Kennedy and LaGuardia and is the only large passenger airline the City will likely support. More on this later.

The City government controls five boroughs with 12 community Boards. The Board that controls LaGuardia is the Austoria Board and I recently talked with an Austoria Board member in New York at length about the potential for US Airways to sell its LaGuardia terminal.

When US Airways announced last year that it was soliciting bids for different assets Delta, JetBlue, and American all made overtures to take custody of US Airways’ terminal. Delta’s intent was to swap buildings with US Airways so that the Atlanta-based airline and their partner Northwest could move into US Airways’ terminal. In addition, Continental would have moved from the Central Terminal and the Delta Shuttle could move from the MAT. This would permit all of the alliance partners to operate out of one building, versus three

If US Airways moved to the Delta terminal it would have sold off the Shuttle slots to another operator who could then take over the MAT. US Airways elected to not to pursue this option, but a few months ago the sale of the US Airways terminal again was placed on the Austoria Board agenda and discussed at a public meeting.

I was told the new proposal has been generated by the Port Authority of NY & NJ and JetBlue. JetBlue wants to use its preferential rights as a New York-based company to obtain a LaGuardia terminal and the new proposal is:

-- Two of the three AMR hangars on the east side of the airport would be torn down and a new terminal built for JetBlue that would have 26 gates. The third hangar would remain in place and be used by the Port Authority.

-- America Airlines would then move to the US Airways terminal and take control of the two adjacent hangars that were formally used by TWA.

-- US Airways would then move to the Central Terminal building and would take control of the AMR and AMR Eagle gates, the Admiral’s Club, all of which are located next to United gates. US Airways would be paid $300 million for the move, it would lower its debt obligation, and it would have space similar in scope to its current operation.

The Board member I talked with said no decision has been made and it was unclear if this would proceed.

In my opinion, US Airways’ LaGuardia terminal sale/move may have been overcome by events with the Air Wisconsin DIP/equity investment, the March operating/net profit, the potential sale of MDA and East Coast commuter slots, and multiple investors apparently willing to invest in the company if the America West deal proceeds.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

You CAN'T sell what you don't own, the US Airways LGA Terminal is OWNED BY CONTINENTAL AIRLINES, US leases it.

Please explain how US can sell something it does not own.

POR

Item 53 shows the settlement for the lease arrears in the first bankruptcy.

USA320Pilot said:
-- US Airways would then move to the Central Terminal building and would take control of the AMR and AMR Eagle gates, the Admiral’s Club, all of which are located next to United gates. US Airways would be paid $300 million for the move, it would lower its debt obligation, and it would have space similar in scope to its current operation.
Regards,

USA320Pilot
[post="267899"][/post]​

Although the US terminal in LGA is a great facility, I think the offer of $300 million (if true) should have been a no brainer for us to move..... $300 million to move from a terminal we don't even own?! (Don't we lease the terminal from CO?)....Even if we took $50 million of that to refurbish the AA terminal we still come out a quarter of a billion dollars ahead! :shock:

Moving us closer to UA helps logistics as well. What is the down side to this deal, aside from a B6 invasion of LGA with 26 new gates?...actually, now that I think of it I just answered my own question! :down: Damn LCCs! :angry:

USA320Pilot said:
US Airways is taking advantage of Acela's problems and Station Management believes the airline will permanently take traffic away from Amtrak.
[post="267238"][/post]​

Until Ed Bular and the flight operations folks figure out how to set down an Airbus narrowbody on the island of Manhattan, management is dreaming. Acela's loads will pick back up once the brakesets come in because one will still spend as much (if not more) time in transit from LGA to midtown as they did on the BOS-LGA or DCA-LGA hops.

As for the terminal move in LGA, the only way that works is with a sublease. Look for Continental (who actually owns the building) to ensure that US does not receive a windfall. That, and even if it did happen, US would take a hit on the premium traffic--CTB-D is a much crappier facility than the existing US terminal.

I simply reported what was discussed at the Austoria Board meeting and what the LGA Station and Passenger Service Manger personally told me. In addition, I regularly fly the Shuttle and I can tell you that many, many former Acela passengers have been very happy with US Airways' Shuttle service and performance.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

Why don't you try ASTORIA, that is the section of queens LGA is located.

And once again, please explain how US Airways can sell a terminal that it does not own, Continental Airlines owns it.

700UW:

Thanks for the spelling correction.

In regard to your question, I'm not an attorney and do not have a thorough understanding of all of the agreements, thus I cannot answer your question. It might be best for you to contact Liz Lanier. Meanwhile, I simply reported what happened at the Astoria Board (public) meeting and what was told to me by a Board member.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

USA320Pilot said:
The Board that controls LaGuardia is the Austoria Board

It is actually Astoria, which is an area of Queens in which LGA is located. (Think of it being spelled and pronounced exactly like the second portion of the Manhattan hotel The Waldorf-Astoria) in both cases, the U is absent and silent :p , similar to U management when things go terribly awry. ;)

Just an FYI, Astoria is named after John Jacob Astor, a wealthy fur merchant that had never visited Astoria.

I am not now nor have I ever been a resident of Queens ... I simply enjoy history, and accuracy. :)

First of all, LGA could never tolerate the extra traffic generated by a 26 gate terminal for B6--either on the roads or on the air side...LGA is already at or over capacity as it is. Also, I think one or more of the old hangars has landmark status (or should), so if there was a plan to tear them down, there would likely be a substantial legal fight. Furthermore, such an expansion at LGA would only likely draw traffic away from JFK, which would in my opinion be a bad move for B6.

Secondly, US has no say in the disposition of their terminal, as CO OWNS the terminal, and would have to approve any arrangement to sub lease or change the existing situation. I don't think they would allow a windfall for US either.

Also, the central terminal as it is today is a disaster--too small, too crowded, and very inefficient. There are constant traffic jams on the inside of C/D alleyway, with only one aircraft movement permitted at one time. Aircraft parking at the innermost gates have to be towed in for parking, and have to execute a major turn on pushback. I don't think that would work for US at all...

BUT, why couldn't UA move into the US terminal and share the cost??? I am sure the shuttle side of the terminal could accomodate UA--there always appear to be empty gates.

This is just my opinion, so don't shoot the messenger...

Moving us closer to UA helps logistics as well. What is the down side to this deal, aside from a B6 invasion of LGA with 26 new gates?...actually, now that I think of it I just answered my own question! :down: Damn LCCs! :angry:
[post="267902"][/post]​
[/quote]

Not to mention the conjestion ! A new 26 gate terminal would just compound the A.T.C. problem even if a only a few slots were created. Right now it is grilock when departing 13 and that would just be the same at the other end when departing 4 !