Best In Year

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
www.usaviation.com
Best in Year

Yesterday, as US Airways officially kicked off our “All Together. On Time.â€￾ initiative, we had the best on-time departures (S:00) day for 2005, as well as the best single day performance for all flights departing within five minutes of scheduled departure (S:05).

A key aspect of the newly launched initiative is a return to the practice of closing aircraft doors five minutes before departure, to ensure the aircraft leaves the gate on time. Our percentage of on-time originating flights also exceeded goal, and 92.8 percent of all flights arrived within 14 minutes of their scheduled arrival time, also the single best day in 2005.

US Airways Express flights also exceeded goal in S:00 and S:05 departures, with 85.1 percent and 88.5 percent, respectively. Express also brought in 90.9 percent of their flights within 14 minutes of scheduled arrival time.

These efforts resulted in our achieving the best operational performance since Sept. 21, 2004. “Producing our best day of the year on the day we launched our new on-time initiative is the clear result of everyone stepping up as a team and giving our best,â€￾ said Donna Paladini, vice president of Customer Service.

“It is such a strong affirmation of ‘Never underestimate the power of US,’" she said, "and I personally thank every employee involved in improving our operations.â€￾

Regards,

USA320Pilot

Again, it is meaningless if it is accomplished at the expense of passengers who won't get their bags because it was decided to button the airplane up rather than load them.....let's see the PAWOB figures for the related flights first....

Art at ISP said:
Again, it is meaningless if it is accomplished at the expense of passengers who won't get their bags because it was decided to button the airplane up rather than load them.....let's see the PAWOB figures for the related flights first....
[post="266624"][/post]​

Bob:

You and I both know that US ramp agents
wouldn't forego loading bags to get a flight out
on time. Well.... except in PHL. And most pax
know better than to check their bags when
they connect through PHL. So, theoretically
PAWOB numbers should go down when pax
take only carry-ons when they travel
through the black hole.

Sarcastically yours,

SpinDoc

SpinDoc said:
Bob:

You and I both know that US ramp agents
wouldn't forego loading bags to get a flight out
on time. Well.... except in PHL. And most pax
know better than to check their bags when
they connect through PHL. So, theoretically
PAWOB numbers should go down when pax
take only carry-ons when they travel
through the black hole.

Sarcastically yours,

SpinDoc
[post="266663"][/post]​

Speaking of Stats, I'd love to see the PAWOB stats that involve only flights to/from PHL.

Hypothetically if PHL is about 35% of total airline ops and our PAWOB numbers are 14 per 1000 pax, I would account 3 of the 1000 to the other hubs and focus cities and 11/1000 pax to phl.....that 11/1000 is really more like 11 per 350 if PHL=35% of operations or approx 32/1000!....take into account the fact that these days (depending on the destination, of course) assuming only about 40% of pax that travel via PHL dare to check a bag and you're looking at losing 32/400 bags, or about 8% of all checked bags travelling through PHL! About 10 missing bag deals per 737/319 arrival is actually about the low-end of average for PHL in my station. :shock:

Bob and Art

While I agree that the bag is an extremely important part of the equation and we all know how frustrating not having our luggage arrrive with us.

But don't they have to start somewhere - if their first goal was to get 100% of the bags there - who knows how bad the on time the flight % would be.

If they held every flight until all the bags where there - it might be harder to fix the baggage problem because the expectation would be - no need to improve the baggage handling process because it will still get on the plane.

But if the expectation is that the flight is going and there are measurements of missing bags and someone is held accountable then things "Might" improve.

Sometimes when things are completely in chaos - you need to focus on one or two things, fix those and move on to the next one or two things.

Whether to give this much credit to U is another story but at least it does seem they are starting to focus on operational improvements.

Just my 2 cents

Phillyguy

phillyguy said:
Sometimes when things are completely in chaos - you need to focus on one or two things, fix those and move on to the next one or two things.
[post="266765"][/post]​
But sometimes in the course of fixing one problem you inadvertently create a new problem somewhere else. That's what happens when you have a narrow focus and are operating in crisis mode. What USAirways really needs, IMHO, is for someone to take a look at the operation as a whole and come up with an overall strategy for improvement. Unfortunately, time and money are in short supply so that's not likely happen. However, somebody's going to have to look at the whole shebang if "US America West Airways" ever gets off the ground.

And yet, you're still here ...

You stomp your feet and loudly shout about the problems to anyone who will listen.

"I want results! If I don't get them, I'll ... I'll ... I'll ... well, I'll just send you some lipstick or write a real mean poem about you! Maybe I'll threaten to fly the competition!"

"But at the end of the day, you'll still fly us, right?"

"Mmm, (well yes)."

I'm sure they're quaking in their shoes at your "demands" that they "fix things or else."

RowUnderDCA said:
phillyguy is 100% correct
[post="266791"][/post]​

Sort of................

Recently we had flts leaving a hub city 3-4 mins early, and, arriving our city 10 mins early. We took double digit(10 plus) bag claims. The flt could have left the gate 3-4 mins late and still arrived our city with the bags. ON TIME. Which would you want as a customer? Which makes more money for US? Same deal for customers that I am trying to reroute from their cancelled flight. Our gate won't hold a flight 5-10 mins so we can accomodate them because they are SCARED of the consequense. There is a reason. The Vice President of Operations and his helpers.

Yesterday we had a flight depart from PHL on time and arrive at our station on time. This is unusual. But of course after the passengers deplaned, we took 30 bag claims. Most bags came in on the next flight, but then we took 15 more bag claims off that one. Just the mentality of making the on time stats look better, at the expense of leaving bags behind....the wacky world or USAir...and so it goes..on and on......

usair_begins_with_u said:
“All Together. On Time.â€￾ initiative

Creating impressions of excellence..

Build on the power..

what am I leaving out?
[post="266832"][/post]​

"Fly In Time" The blue plackards we had on all of the counters just a couple years ago letting pax know of the 5 minute door close initiative.

Bear96 said:
"But at the end of the day, you'll still fly us, right?"

"Mmm, (well yes)."

I'm sure they're quaking in their shoes at your "demands" that they "fix things or else."
[post="266808"][/post]​

Many of us effectively did leave. US sees $40K/year less in revenue, all of which now goes to NW. I only fly US on the nonstop RJ routes out of DCA when flying NW makes no sense.