A look back at Piedmont

Well they say that "sometimes the truth hurts", so hear goes.

This PI story has/had NOTHING to do with US AIR.....NOTHING !

It is true, Tom Davis was a very good MAN, as was his son Tom jr. and F/a sister.
It is true, that south of the Mason Dixon line, PI was what was wanted down there.
(I am not trying to restart US Grant and Robert E LEE)..........I'm really not !!

Pi had no problem branching out up into Ohio,Florida, out west, southwest.
But(and this was BEFORE US Air) PI got a COLD/HARD reality check when they ventured up into places like BWI(to a degree)..PHL/EWR/LGA/JFK/BDL/PVD/ORH and BOS.

There "down home" southern culture, + 3$(at the time) would get you a bottle of "brew" in most watering holes !
When INT could'nt SELL the Culture to the YANKEES, it made the wrong move by DICTATING it to the People ! Yankees DO NOT take to DICTATING, and in a section of the country that was strong union,.......told PI to "buzz off"(actually the dialog was a bit more stronger)" !

Problem for PI was that they were making the MOST money flying from places like BOS/RDU..EWR/CLT..PHL/MYR just to name a few.

I honestly believed that "BOSS HOG" saw the writing on the wall, hid behind the'well we got to do whats best for the shareholders"(the US deal), and took the money and ran.

When GORDO says (towards the End) that PI's management SUCKED, though he did,nt name names, he was clearly refereing to "BOSS HOG".

As for me, in BOS, I "jumped ship" to(unionized) American Airlines in april 86'(thank god) and have NEVER regretted doing so since !

And I know again that the truth hurts..........................IF PI had become like WN,..................Unlike WN, PI would have FOUGHT the UNIONS, whereas WN is TOTALLY successful, and TOTALLY UNIONIZED !

In History, it "IS" what it "IS"

PI had a very succesful hub at BWI, flew all over the northeast after the purchase of Empire, it caused no problems what so ever.

That is why PI was airline of the year, cause it was succesful where ever it flew, you couldnt be more wrong NHBear.

January 01, 1985 Air Transport World magazine awards PI its prestigious "Airline of the Year" award for 1984.

And had a hub at DAY.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't TWA also making a play for PI at the same time as US & that drove up the price from N&S? Ultimately, had US not won the PI prize, CLT would have been full of a bunch of red tailed a/c.

In hindsite, Bethunes comments are spot on. Did I feel that some 20 years ago? No, I didn't. Nor did I believe
any of the accusations lodged against USAir and it's employees by former PI employees. But I've shed the rose colored
glasses and can see the company for what it is and what it was. America West is treating USAirways the same as we
treated PI and PS in the late 90's

I guess the old addage of "what goes around, comes around" isn't so far off afterall.
Just Imagine...???

Welcome to US Airways, Our Envoy class cabin will make you wish you lived like this at home!

US Airways! We are the only airline you choose to fly, because we REALLY care about U!

We represent the flag, and our country loves to fly US Airways!!!!

Our most Elite flyers make up US Airways, but our Employees are OUR greatest assets!

Wow Dougie! Just think of what you could REALLY accomplish, and finally take care of your ff's and US?????!!!! :)

Are you kidding me Bear?

I worked in ORH for PI.....it was like a family and we busted our butts for our pax...PI didn't pay as much, but we enjoyed our jobs and the leeway that MGMT gave us to help with our pax needs...every flight was full and we knew how to provide great service..it started with our manager and filtered down to all of us....we were tight and knew our jobs....we would run circles around the other airlines there.

We gave US the benefit of the doubt with the merger and we got burned big time. Our station was ruined by an upper management that didn't understand the dynamic and the type of clientele we had. They never listened to our opinions and told us we didn't have the "big picture". They took away passenger-friendly BWI and stuffed PHL down our throats. We went from an phenomenal operation to hoping we would actually have all of our flights go out on any given day. Near the end, we had at least 1 or 2 mainline cancels a day out of 8 flights. Our a/c were always being swapped out for broken ones.

While our facilities were less than ideal, we made the best of it and our customers appreciated it. People in Worcester knew Piedmont and we knew Worcester. They found out the hard way who US Air was.

What a stupid post.

Your ignorance is truly astounding. PI has everything to do with US Air, as does US Air, PI, Empire, All American, Allegheny, Mohawk, and America West has everything to do with USAirways.

It's not the post that's stupid.

Well they say that "sometimes the truth hurts", so hear goes.

THANK YOU! :up:

All the Piedmont employees got DOH, pay raises, better benefits, better work schedules, better duty rigs, more vacation, better fleet, better uniforms, and USAir sucked the BIG O. Not trying to be a snot just pointing out what pisses off a lot of original USAir employees. We welcomed you and you SPIT on us!! Literally. Saw two PIT flight attendant trainers spit on in CLT -- for no reason other than they were from the "North"! It was just hostile from the crews, agents, it was unbelievable. I cannot make this crap up! Sadly, to this day, I cannot stand a southern accent. It brings bad memories and nightmares.

Later,
Eye

Thanx "EYE" !!

Never EVER wonder why the South LOST the BIG WAR :down: :down: :down:

hula fly-guy.

I was Making the point that "BOSS HOG" Howard was THE reason PI ultimately failed, NOT USAir !

The "HEAD" of the FAMILY( BOSS HOG) took the ****ING MONEY and Screwed !!

End of Story !!

All the Piedmont employees got DOH, pay raises, better benefits, better work schedules, better duty rigs, more vacation, better fleet, better uniforms, and USAir sucked the BIG O. Not trying to be a snot just pointing out what pisses off a lot of original USAir employees. We welcomed you and you SPIT on us!! Literally. Saw two PIT flight attendant trainers spit on in CLT -- for no reason other than they were from the "North"! It was just hostile from the crews, agents, it was unbelievable. I cannot make this crap up! Sadly, to this day, I cannot stand a southern accent. It brings bad memories and nightmares.

Later,
Eye
OH yea, and the US Air folks were soo nice and fuzzy with the PSA folks to, eh? OR should I mention Allegheny Airlines?? :rolleyes:

All the Piedmont employees got DOH, pay raises,
Later,
Eye
Me thinks your mistaken, ask the Empire pilots about getting DOH and we were wearing US uniforms for several months before the merger and still getting PI pay.

And the worst thing US ever did to PI was mirror image.

I will always remember this senior fa at US Airways back in '97 or so based in PIT, and was a commuter from PHX. Just bragged so much about how good things were at "his" airline, how much money he was making, and just felt so sorry for me, being this poor newbie at America West. Asked me why I would subject myself to such a pittiful airline??! At the time the media just loved to hate America West, even know we were the the Hometown Airline, picked on all of our flaws, and of course we were the worst paid, and last of the majors..

It is amazing how times change, and things go the exact reversal!!! :lol: And yet this guy is probably commuting to PHL, and wishing he was a PHX fa now. And I stood my ground at the time, maybe I am not rich, and working for the greatest elite airline, but I am happy with what I have for the time being. Now, geez, I hold a pretty darn good schedule, and laugh the fact US is a pure mirror image of HP. Sad, but true. :( So, bottom line, whether it be Piedmont, US Air, Allegheny, PSA, America West, or United, etc... NO one Airline is greater then the next!! :D

Asked me why I would subject myself to such a pittiful airline??! At the time the media just loved to hate America West, even know we were the the Hometown Airline, picked on all of our flaws, and of course we were the worst paid, and last of the majors..

It is amazing how times change, and things go the exact reversal!!! :lol:

Are you kidding? :unsure: :huh: :blink: You are still paid and treated terribly and, I hate to break it to you, but you are still the "last of the majors" and a pittiful [sic] airline

Latest posts

Back