Piedmont's Future?

FM2436

Veteran
Jan 8, 2003
Found the below article titled "How US Airways Gave Upo on Laguardia". A little lengthy and dated (Oct 2011), but what I found most interesting were the following two paragraghs:

Finally, US continues to put off a decision on the future of fleet of its wholly-owned Express carrier Piedmont Airlines. The commuter airline operates the majority of those 39% of flights at LaGuardia on aircraft with fewer than 37 seats on aged Dash-8s that, according to numerous industry analysts, need to be either replaced or retired during the next few years. It currently flies 30 -100s and 11 larger -300s with an average age of 21.4 years, according to Airfleets.net. Many suspect that management’s inaction on this issue is a signal that it plans to eventually retire the Piedmont fleet without a replacement—a move that effectively seals the fate for the bulk of US’ operations at La Guardia if it were to keep its slots.

It should be noted that replacing the Piedmont fleet has been somewhat out of the control of US management. Bombardier stopped manufacturing the -100 in 2005 and the -300 in 2009, leaving only the 78-seat Q400 on the market. A Piedmont employee says that the airline has faced difficulty acquiring any replacement Dash aircraft for a “reasonable” price on the secondary market due to high demand. The ATR-42-600 is the only comparable aircraft to the existing fleet that is still in production; however, the type is rarely seen in commercial operations in the US due to prior issues involving wing icing.

So, what's up with the Piedmont's future? I would think with a fleet of new(er) 50-69 seat turboprop aircraft, US Airways could dominate the feeder traffic from smaller hub airports in the northeast and mid-Atlantic.

http://nycaviation.com/2011/10/how-us-airways-gave-up-on-laguardia/

With delta efforts to sell comair/Asa and american's eagle, it becomes clear that mainlines do not care for wholly ownes. Piedmont/PSA would have been sold if they had a buyer. But who wants to buy an airline that is only airplanes and people? All the growth at regionals is done. People only care about us when they need a ride home.

Unfortunately, probably grim! They don't seem to interested in putting money into it. The only true "regional express carrier" that actually operates fuel efficient airplanes.

There are plenty of other regional airlines out there to whipsaw against each other. There is no need for US Airways, or any other major airline, to have to pay for new regional aircraft for a wholly owned subsidiary. According to the folks I've talked to, Piedmont is still telling flight crews that all of the LaGuardia flying will just be shifted to Philly or Charlotte.

Unfortunately I don't see much future with the long term 50 seat RJ contracts and east scope provisions. I'd like to see scope relaxed to allow PDT to operate Q400s, but not for free. If not for those issues I could see it being spun off and successful. Lots of routes for US that a turboprop makes sense.

Unfortunately I don't see much future with the long term 50 seat RJ contracts and east scope provisions. I'd like to see scope relaxed to allow PDT to operate Q400s, but not for free. If not for those issues I could see it being spun off and successful. Lots of routes for US that a turboprop makes sense.
At $25M a pop, there is no way Piedmont is getting Q400s. The long term RJ contracts expire in 2015, the same time frame that the DH3 leases expire.

I'd like to see Q400's with first class seats so they fall within the scope.

I just have a feeling that mainline is going to operate the old fleet until the planes cycle out or fall apart.

Found the below article titled "How US Airways Gave Upo on Laguardia". A little lengthy and dated (Oct 2011), but what I found most interesting were the following two paragraghs:

Finally, US continues to put off a decision on the future of fleet of its wholly-owned Express carrier Piedmont Airlines. The commuter airline operates the majority of those 39% of flights at LaGuardia on aircraft with fewer than 37 seats on aged Dash-8s that, according to numerous industry analysts, need to be either replaced or retired during the next few years. It currently flies 30 -100s and 11 larger -300s with an average age of 21.4 years, according to Airfleets.net. Many suspect that management’s inaction on this issue is a signal that it plans to eventually retire the Piedmont fleet without a replacement—a move that effectively seals the fate for the bulk of US’ operations at La Guardia if it were to keep its slots.

It should be noted that replacing the Piedmont fleet has been somewhat out of the control of US management. Bombardier stopped manufacturing the -100 in 2005 and the -300 in 2009, leaving only the 78-seat Q400 on the market. A Piedmont employee says that the airline has faced difficulty acquiring any replacement Dash aircraft for a “reasonable” price on the secondary market due to high demand. The ATR-42-600 is the only comparable aircraft to the existing fleet that is still in production; however, the type is rarely seen in commercial operations in the US due to prior issues involving wing icing.

So, what's up with the Piedmont's future? I would think with a fleet of new(er) 50-69 seat turboprop aircraft, US Airways could dominate the feeder traffic from smaller hub airports in the northeast and mid-Atlantic.

http://nycaviation.com/2011/10/how-us-airways-gave-up-on-laguardia/

The 50 to 69 seat class aircraft would be too large for some of piedmonts stations and routes.I also don't see airways wanting to spend that large amount of cash when contract carriers do the job without a huge investment.aircraft leases,maintenance hangers and mechanics and parts inventory.
They say they are looking for more dash 8 aircraft,but for years now it seems some cannot be found at a price airways is willing to pay. Unless they can steal them,none will be added to the fleet.I remember when piedmont alone,without allegheny had jax and orf maintenance bases along with over 60 aircraft.Now with both allegheny and piedmont merged,the fleet count is less than 45. Without the lga flying,where will the dash's be placed? No new cities announced and frequencies are being reduced. Along with a/c 906 and 907 nearing cycle limits soon,I think the fleet will continue to shrink until economy of scale makes it cost prohibitive to continue to operate such a small fleet.
Will the last person to leave the hangers at roa,mdt,and sby please turn the lights out.So sad for all those left behind.

Barring a replacement, I'd think they'd phase them out until they got to a fleet size that was uneconomical to operate - I'm guessing less than 10-11 planes. But that and $5 will get you a Starbucks coffee...

Jim

Latest posts