A New One--Flight Delays at PHL due to Grass Clippings

Art at ISP

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
Dix Hills NY
I just heard one so strange that it couldn't be made up.

Apparently PHL experienced delays due to grass clippings today--it seems the airport mowed the grass and they slowed the arrival rate down to minimize the possibility of an aircraft ingesting grass clippings.

One flight held for almost two hours and diverted to BWI as fuel got low.

I heard this from two people in CLT today--otherwise I would have had a hard time believing it.

Anyone have more on this?

Not sure what the reason but our two afternoon inbound flights from PHL both took ATC delays off the gate, but it wasnt showing in "Alert" (the old Landings). Nothing about PHL would surprise me any more.

last I saw, it took weeks for grass clippings to decay, then, by that time, there was time for a new fresh batch of 'em. And they're not bagging from what I could tell.... :unsure:

See? Here's yet another situation that simply could never occur at PHX--or LAS, for that matter.
The East is just too darned...verdant! B)

Just amazes me that grass can actually grow down there. :lol:

Or better yet, Have the New Trash Bags US has to use for their flights and donate them to PHL to catch the Grass Clippings!

I thought an engine had to meet type certification regarding injestion of ice,birds and the like without substatial loss of power.Saw movies of frozen chickens fired from a cannon into the inlet.....but grass clippings?Oh my....

I thought an engine had to meet type certification regarding injestion of ice,birds and the like without substatial loss of power.Saw movies of frozen chickens fired from a cannon into the inlet.....but grass clippings?Oh my....

Minor point--the chicken carcasses fired at engines during tests are not frozen, as live birds ingested during flight would not be frozen either...

Minor point--the chicken carcasses fired at engines during tests are not frozen, as live birds ingested during flight would not be frozen either...
They do fire frozen chickens into the engine during certification.

last I saw, it took weeks for grass clippings to decay, then, by that time, there was time for a new fresh batch of 'em. And they're not bagging from what I could tell.... :unsure:

You dont and cant bag grass on the airfield....Most likely they are using bat-wing hydro's which have 3 blades and a chain guard around the base...

I haven't been on here in a LONG time due to lack of time....but you're kidding me, right? All that crap yesterday...all those folks who had connections....was due to grass clippings??? It's a good thing I didn't learn this while I was on the plane.....

But it gets even better. When we finally land at PHL and crawl our way to the gate, the captain makes the "stay seated until we're fully parked at the gate" blah blah blah announcement. We cccrraaawwwlll our way in....still moving, mind you...and a dozen+ people are in the aisle, opening overhead bins. These morons stop at the beginning of FC so clearly the FA can see them. Nothing was said. NOTHING. Overhead bins open, lots of people clogging the aisle. I get that these guys want to make their connections, but that's insane.

:down:

I just heard one so strange that it couldn't be made up.

Apparently PHL experienced delays due to grass clippings today--it seems the airport mowed the grass and they slowed the arrival rate down to minimize the possibility of an aircraft ingesting grass clippings.

One flight held for almost two hours and diverted to BWI as fuel got low.

I heard this from two people in CLT today--otherwise I would have had a hard time believing it.

Anyone have more on this?

I was just there and yes, the smell of freshly cut grass was a refreshing change from that of its' prehistoric cousin, refined light-sweet crude.

Back