A plan to save the US economy

freedom

Veteran
Feb 15, 2006
This is my plan to save the US economy …

I propose the subsidization of OIL in the united states . I want to see the price of GAS at 1.00 before December 10th … (or sooner )

Furthermore I propose that we keep said subsidies for one year ..

I have two goals in mind with such a plan

To restore consumer confidence and attempt to salvage what’s left of this years all important holiday shopping season .

GOAL ONE … The first goal is simple yet powerful .. Many of you would be amazed at the psychological affect of cheap gas , it’s out of all proportion to the actual cost .. With gas at one dollar people will become almost ecstatic .. But it must be known that it’s the GOVERNMENT brining gas below the 2.00 mark … once gas prices fall below that mark naturally some of the psychological effect will diminish .

GOAL TWO … to help what’s left of this years retail sales … if goal one has the effect that I hope it does , it will have restored consumer confidence and helped to drive the desire of people to spend again … with gas so cheap , people will travel , they will go from family and friends houses to restaurants , movie theaters , shopping malls etc … while we won’t be able to prevent holiday losses , they may end up being less than projected (think the GM effect )

I expect this plan to cost around 400 billion dollars , and yes it will come from deficit spending . (my numbers may be highly inaccurate , it could be less , it could be more )

Imagine every business and consumer impacted by 1.00 gas , it’s mind boggling … and with it being in everyone’s self interest , this will pass almost immediately … if you believe in the free market and it’s ability to heal it’s self , then this is the fuel we need to pour on the embers of capitalism .

There’s no way the federal government can provide stimulus checks before the new year , and seeing as over 2/3rds of the economy is powered by consumer spending , this is the ONLY way we can break the cycle of economic destruction before it becomes too late … (imagine what the outcome of historic holiday losses would amount to in the new year )

This plan may even lead to a housing boom as consumers are more willing to travel further out to purchase a home … car sales could rebound …

This plan can be implemented quickly and for once we may actually be able to head off some of our nations economic problems rather than just react to them … if we bring the price of GAS down quickly but not so fast as to cause run’s on gas stations then it can and will be viable … I suspect we will have to tap the strategic oil reserves down to a one and half month supply … we will of course have to order more oil from the middle east immediately , but by the time it gets here we should be able to begin restoring the reserve . I don’t like the idea of taping the reserves , but we are now at that point where our economic situation qualifies as a national emergency of unheard of proportions …

I have no other ideas on how to addresses our problems ,on our current course we are headed toward economic destruction … I know that this plan has downsides , but I feel it has as many positives as negatives .. It IS a huge gamble , but given our choices , there is no choice .

If anyone else has a better idea , please speak now …

May God bless America and the rest of the world .

Freedom

In case you haven't noticed the recent eye popping deficit (that's growing by the minute as we bail out everyone and their mother), where is the money coming from to pay for all the foreign oil we have to import to use for this idea?

Look at the utter cluster-XXX Venezuela has on their hands Link

The awfull truth is we will spend at leat as much as i propse next year bailing out the different companies ...

today fannie MAC announced that the 100 billion given them would not be enough ...

the same came from AIG ... we had orginally given them 98 billion dollars , now we're going to add another 50 on top of that ...

If we don't do something major to revitilize the US economy we will end up going broke in peice meal fashion ....

next up at bat is the BIG THREE .... after them who knows whos going to be next in line .

the money will have to come from the same place it always does ... i know it will be harder to get it this time , but if our economy doesn't restart , then the rest of the world is going to stall out without us ... it's in their interests to fund this plan .

They need to let them all fail, including the big three. Let them go BK, break the UAW stranglehold grip, start over from the ground up. I cant believe the democratic Pelosi and Reid had the nerve to send a letter to the treasury over the weekend wanting the tax payers to bail out GM. :down: :down: :down:

the big three have already been BK before ... i don't think it will work again this time ..

by all means , toss out the unions and aborgate the health care plans of the retired workers ... but then they shall be pushed into the PGBC ...

even if all of that came to pass , it might not be enough ...

if the big three go under , three million jobs go away ... best case scenario under what your propose , only 1 million jobs go away ..

They need to let them all fail, including the big three. Let them go BK, break the UAW stranglehold grip, start over from the ground up. I cant believe the democratic Pelosi and Reid had the nerve to send a letter to the treasury over the weekend wanting the tax payers to bail out GM. :down: :down: :down:

I believe I saw or heard the other night that if just one of the 3 auto makers were to go out of business there would be about 1.3 million people added to the unemployment list overnight. As much as I believe in the capitalism and what have you, there are times when the system does not work and we have to protect the weak. Unfortunately this seems to be one of those times.

Should all three fail (theoretically I have no issue with that as I do not drive and American car and do not care for them) what would you do with over 2 million or more extra people on the unemployment list. You are aware we are in a resession and unemployment is at record level. Companies are shutting down or reducing work forces (DHL and Comp USA) and you are looking to put well over 2 million more out on the street? Sounds like a great idea to me.

I am no fan of Pelosi or Reid, but I am seriously thinking you don't have any idea what the long term economic impact of that move would be. The big three need this bailout more than the banking industry. It would impact you probably even more than the banks going under, as the domino effect of this industry failing would be tremendous. I think the loss of 3.5 million jobs is what I heard. You won't be able to buy anything American made (I know, I know, some of the foreign companies manufacture vehicles and parts here and some of the American companies manufacture parts elsewhere, but the wages are different), the prices of these foreign vehicles will go up, the people who have no money to spend won't fly, there will be less businesses to fly on our airlines and it could eventually impact your (our) livelihood, as if we need that at all.

There will be less need to move parts across country or borders, which does impact our business as well as other transportation modes.

The unions are less to blame than the corporate greed that has gone on in the auto industry as well as your industry. Although unions are not the be all end all, they have impacted the wages you are paid as well even if you are a non union employee.

This move that you propose would open the door wider to more and more foreign $ controlling our piece of the global economy.

The parts manufacturers will be impacted and likely close, the dealerships would close, you lose your job due to less traffic and there are already that many unemployed for you to compete with and no jobs for any of us.

Rethink that philosophy of yours and take another view of it instead of it doesn't impact me so it can't matter.

This move would leave that many more people uninsured, no jobs, no money, no retirements and open the door wider for universal health care.

There does need to be some action to reclaim some of this huge huge corporate greed and government waste, and turning a blind eye to the happenings that has gone on as a result of administrations for the past thirty years, Republicans and Democrats alike.

This is my plan to save the US economy …

I propose the subsidization of OIL in the united states . I want to see the price of GAS at 1.00 before December 10th … (or sooner )

Furthermore I propose that we keep said subsidies for one year ..

I have two goals in mind with such a plan

To restore consumer confidence and attempt to salvage what’s left of this years all important holiday shopping season .

GOAL ONE … The first goal is simple yet powerful .. Many of you would be amazed at the psychological affect of cheap gas , it’s out of all proportion to the actual cost .. With gas at one dollar people will become almost ecstatic .. But it must be known that it’s the GOVERNMENT brining gas below the 2.00 mark … once gas prices fall below that mark naturally some of the psychological effect will diminish .

Freedom,

As you can imagine, lowering gas to that low of a price (whether slowly or immediately) will cause a significant increased demand for the commodity. And, as you know, with increased demand often comes increased prices. Do you not think that this plan has a flaw, in that the more the government subsidizes our oil consumption, the more it will cost to subsidize such oil consumption? And who, in the end, is stuck with the final bill? I think you are aware that many of the problems today are from yesterday's bubbles. Why would this be any different? Is it sustainable? In my opinion, it is throwing gasoline on the flames (pun intended).

I am no fan of Pelosi or Reid, but I am seriously thinking you don't have any idea what the long term economic impact of that move would be. The big three need this bailout more than the banking industry. It would impact you probably even more than the banks going under, as the domino effect of this industry failing would be tremendous. I think the loss of 3.5 million jobs is what I heard. You won't be able to buy anything American made (I know, I know, some of the foreign companies manufacture vehicles and parts here and some of the American companies manufacture parts elsewhere, but the wages are different), the prices of these foreign vehicles will go up, the people who have no money to spend won't fly, there will be less businesses to fly on our airlines and it could eventually impact your (our) livelihood, as if we need that at all.

There will be less need to move parts across country or borders, which does impact our business as well as other transportation modes.

The unions are less to blame than the corporate greed that has gone on in the auto industry as well as your industry. Although unions are not the be all end all, they have impacted the wages you are paid as well even if you are a non union employee.

This move that you propose would open the door wider to more and more foreign $ controlling our piece of the global economy.

The parts manufacturers will be impacted and likely close, the dealerships would close, you lose your job due to less traffic and there are already that many unemployed for you to compete with and no jobs for any of us.

Rethink that philosophy of yours and take another view of it instead of it doesn't impact me so it can't matter.

This move would leave that many more people uninsured, no jobs, no money, no retirements and open the door wider for universal health care.

There does need to be some action to reclaim some of this huge huge corporate greed and government waste, and turning a blind eye to the happenings that has gone on as a result of administrations for the past thirty years, Republicans and Democrats alike.

If we continue to bail out failed and poorly run institutions then they will never change. They will be back in 6 months asking for another handout. Dont get me wrong, the auto industry has been poorly managed but at the same time the UAW has played a key role: See Link

They have the highest labor costs per car ($4k per) then any other auto manufacturer in the world! Sure the workers are well paid, but they cant compete on the global market anymore.

Freedom,

As you can imagine, lowering gas to that low of a price (whether slowly or immediately) will cause a significant increased demand for the commodity. And, as you know, with increased demand often comes increased prices. Do you not think that this plan has a flaw, in that the more the government subsidizes our oil consumption, the more it will cost to subsidize such oil consumption? And who, in the end, is stuck with the final bill? I think you are aware that many of the problems today are from yesterday's bubbles. Why would this be any different? Is it sustainable? In my opinion, it is throwing gasoline on the flames (pun intended).

the plan will buy us time ... and we will run it from this december to january of next year to cover the shopping season of 09 ....

we will end up paying for it ... but right now our nation is deleveraging too quickly .. while increased demand may raise the world price of a barrel of oil , i'm betting that gloabl demand will fall , allowing our nation to keep the costs we pay to the middle east under control somewhat ..

As i see it , there''s no other choice , no other way to stimulae the greater economy .. think of this as a controlled bubble in that we will have advanced notice of when it's going to pop and can prepare .

the plan will buy us time ... and we will run it from this december to january of next year to cover the shopping season of 09 ....

we will end up paying for it ... but right now our nation is deleveraging too quickly .. while increased demand may raise the world price of a barrel of oil , i'm betting that gloabl demand will fall , allowing our nation to keep the costs we pay to the middle east under control somewhat ..

As i see it , there''s no other choice , no other way to stimulae the greater economy .. think of this as a controlled bubble in that we will have advanced notice of when it's going to pop and can prepare .

Controlled bubble??? The problem with bubbles is you cannot control or predict when they will pop. Or the extent of the damage that will be done.

well dapoes , this now goes to what you belive ..

i myself belive that if the retial season goes very badly , the us will take serve econmic losses next year ....

i alreay firmly think the US will spend between 500 billion and one trillion dollars next year trying to bring life back into the economy ...

its a gamble , but as i see it , one we have no choice but to make .

Fair enough, but answer me this...Where will the money come from and how is it to be paid back?

the money will have to come from forgien investors , the same place we got the 700 billion dollars ...

i know i know .. why would they want to fund this ?

if it works we will be able to restart the us economic engine , enabling our nation to pay back the debts it's taken on ....

if it doesn't work .... it's going to be death by a thousand cuts for our country ....

if our economy goes down , so too does the rest of the world .... it's in their own best interests ..