If the 700 billion dollar bailout fails , what’s next ?

freedom

Veteran
Feb 15, 2006
700 billion dollar bailout fails , what’s next ?

Let’s say the 700 billion dollar bailout fails and the credit markets remain sub artic , what steps do we then take to save the economy ? If you believe the economy can be saved at all ….

Or For those of you like myself who feel the economy is finished completely , I’d like to hear your views on what we should do to keep our nation running in the event of total economic collapse , I have my own personal views which I will share after I’ve finished refining them .

As my brother-in-law says to nearly everyting bad ... "go out and eat some grass, that will make it better".

Glilly-

Your link isn't loading.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/26944410

I think it is crazy to give that much power to Paulson when he was part of the problem. I say pump the money into the hands of the citizens.

Here's a plan:

" I'm against the $85,000,000,000.00 bailout of AIG and all the other banks.

Instead, I'm in favor of giving $85,000,000,000 to America in a We Deserve It Dividend. To make the math simple, let's assume there are 200,000,000 bona fid U.S.Citizens 18+. Our population is about 301,000,000 +/- counting every man, woman and child. So 200,000,000 might be a fair stab at adults 18 and up..
So divide 200 million adults 18+ into $85 billion that equals $425,000.00. My plan is to give $425,000 to every person 18+ as a We Deserve It Dividend.
Of course, it would NOT be tax free. So let's assume a tax rate of 30%. Every individual 18+ has to pay $127,500.00 in taxes.
That sends $25,500,000,000 right back to Uncle Sam. But it means that every adult 18+ has $297,500.00 in their pocket.
A husband and wife has $595,000.00. What would you do with $297,500.00 to $595,000.00 in your family?
Pay off your mortgage - housing crisis solved. Repay college loans - what a great boost to new grads. Put away money for college - it'll be there.
Save in a bank - create money to loan to entrepreneurs. Buy a new car - create jobs. Invest in the market - capital drives growth for your parent's medical insurance - health care improves. Enable Deadbeat Dads to come clean - or else Remember this is for every adult U S Citizen 18 + including the folks who lost their jobs at Lehman Brothers and every other company that is cutting back. And of course, for those serving in our Armed Forces.
If we're going to re-distribute wealth let's really do it...instead of trickling out a puny $1000.00 ( 'vote buy' ) economic incentive that is being proposed by one of our candidates for President. If we're going to do an $85 billion bailout, let's bail out every adult U S Citizen 18+!
As for AIG - liquidate it. Sell off its parts. Let American General go back to being American General. Sell off the real estate. Let the private sector bargain hunters cut it up and clean it up.
Here's my rationale. We deserve it and AIG doesn't. Sure it's a crazy idea that can 'never work.' But can you imagine the Coast-To-Coast Block Party!
How do you spell Economic Boom? I trust my fellow adult Americans to know how to use the $85 Billion we deserve.
And remember, The People's plan only really costs $59.5 Billion because $25.5 Billion is returned instantly in taxes to Uncle Sam.
Ahhh...I feel so much better getting that off my chest. "

Given that we are $9,000,000,000,000.00 in the hole already, I think that coming up with an additional $85,000,000,000.00 much less $700,000,000,000.00 is not very realistic.

Also, if you check the math, $85 billion divided by 200 million people is $425.00 not $425,000.00. I think math like that may have been part of the problem that got us into the mess in the first place. Maybe we should invest $85 billion into our schools instead of the banks?

I hate to say it, but. This country needs another great depression to reset the "greed" :down: clock. It seems everything has been hooked into gambling :down: aka the stock and futures markets. Didn't anyone learn anything from the year 1929? All the paper pushers are going to be in the soup line now and get a heavy dose of reallity. I might lose my job as an airline mechanic, but there is all types of machinery out there to be repaired. No soup line for me and no debts either.

Voting this bailout "scam" down is in the best interest of this country. :up:

Here's a plan:

" I'm against the $85,000,000,000.00 bailout of AIG and all the other banks.

Instead, I'm in favor of giving $85,000,000,000 to America in a We Deserve It Dividend. To make the math simple, let's assume there are 200,000,000 bona fid U.S.Citizens 18+. Our population is about 301,000,000 +/- counting every man, woman and child. So 200,000,000 might be a fair stab at adults 18 and up..
So divide 200 million adults 18+ into $85 billion that equals $425,000.00. My plan is to give $425,000 to every person 18+ as a We Deserve It Dividend.

North by Northwest... thank you for posting a link that works.

Regarding that plan, however, it was posted in another thread. The math is wildly wrong. $85b divded by 200m citizens is merely $425 (not a $425,000 "we deserve it dividend" as the plan assumes). $425 really isn't going to accomplish any of those stated goals in that plan.

EDITED BY GTL... Ah... just recognized that another poster pointed that out. Thanks Cosworth.

Cos...this was in lieu of the 700 B.

Moreover, I would trust throwing money at the public FAR more than the thieves of "Thief Street". That way..Paulson, and the Bush Family's fortunes go POOF!

PK...I think you are right about another Depression. People need to be jarred back into reality and get over thinking they can live like rich people. Credit is the cause of this. Credit was forced down the throats of ALL Americans beginning in the early 80's. No credit record, scorned and punished. Cash and carry people were penalized.

NO bailout No WAY, NO how!

In a Capitalist society, only the strong survive. The FAKE "Federal Reserve" needs to be Nationalized so that it actually becomes a US government agency instead of a FAKE private Banking concern scamming Billions off the American Taxpayer. I wonder if I can call myself the "Federal Money borrower" and get the US gov. to pay me Billions to dictate to the gov. how to screw up our economy?

(this is pretty EYE OPENING)
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=3sGs8eFld1U&...feature=related

This Bailout was just a bandaid for the bigger problem. I say let it fail. We are all going to suffer from this. I am not in favor of bailing out greed. I am not willing to pay for the mistakes from greed in this country. The government needs to stay out.

It will reset ...we will be fine. Hopefully we can make some laws to prevent the rape by these greedy companies and CEO's.

wopr

I have to agree that we should not do a bail out but we should FIX THE FUNDAMENTAL PROBLEM--something no one wants to do apparently.

However I will remind everyone that Alan Greenspan predicted this situation 3 years ago, and Congress attempted to pass legislation which would have prevented it--and the Democrats were responsible for the bill failing to pass....

So don't go blaming the Republicans--both parties share the blame. I say throw EVERY member of Congress out of office and start over.

I think the victims of this debaucle should be helped, not the perpetrators....

A bunch of those who rejected are up for re-election this fall.This might never pass. :lol:

And Pelosi ticked of the GOP by trying to blame this all on Bush,when the Dem's blew a chance to fix this in 2005 :lol: