A settlement between US and UsAirways and AMR

Yaaahoooooooooooo!!  (Fist pumping followed by dancing to a quaint Irish jig.)

http://youtu.be/W6ICnU37BGk

Seriously, very good news.  I hope that the divestiture is slow enough as not to displace any DCA pilots (or workers), it should be. 

Cheers,

Bean

Reactions: 1 person
http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/trafficandcommuting/justice-set-to-approve-merger-of-amr-us-airways/2013/11/12/2531b9f0-4bab-11e3-9890-a1e0997fb0c0_story.html?hpid=z1

The deal requires the merged airline to relax its stranglehold on Washington’s Reagan National Airport. The new airline will have 44 fewer departing flights from National, but it will remain the airport’s dominant carrier with 57 percent of all flights.

In addition, Justice alleged that the transaction would entrench the merged airline as the dominant carrier at Reagan National, where it would control 69 percent of take-off and landing slots, thus effectively foreclosing entry or expansion by competing airlines.

I did not read the article or link ....... but I weep for the slots divested at DCA .... I weep ..............

Was it necessary , I suppose so ..... but all the same , there is sorrow in my heart .

This is hilarious AMR has to give up gates in Dallas Love and BOS to help low cost carriers last time I checked both airports largest carriers are LUV and JB are the largest carriers

It will be very sad if the DOJ gives slots back to Delta in DC

This goes to show what a joke this was as a lawsuit

freedom said:
I did not read the article or link ....... but I weep for the slots divested at DCA .... I weep ..............

Was it necessary , I suppose so ..... but all the same , there is sorrow in my heart .

You are SO full of sh*t!

This is hilarious AMR has to give up gates in Dallas Love and BOS to help low cost carriers last time I checked both airports largest carriers are LUV and JB are the largest carriers

It will be very sad if the DOJ gives slots back to Delta in DC

This goes to show what a joke this was as a lawsuit
mark my words. DL will pick up a fair number of those divested slots.

The DOJ will launch a series of route cases which will favor adding new service to cities which don't have it or which will lose it under the merger.

Small cities will be disproportionately favored in the proceedings which means RJs will be the aircraft that will be necessary to serve those routes.

B6 and WN don't have RJs. DL and UA do.

UA has a duplicate hub at IAD which will limit their ability to compete to win a number of routes.

DL knew exactly what it was doing when it crafted the slot deal with US which will now end up seeing a number of those DCA slots come right back to DL.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/delta-responds-aa-us-merger-183700885.html

WorldTraveler said:

The DOJ will launch a series of route cases which will favor adding new service to cities which don't have it or which will lose it under the merger.

Small cities will be disproportionately favored in the proceedings which means RJs will be the aircraft that will be necessary to serve those routes.

UA has a duplicate hub at IAD which will limit their ability to compete to win a number of routes.

DL knew exactly what it was doing when it crafted the slot deal with US which will now end up seeing a number of those DCA slots come right back to DL.

Note To Delta And United: Don't Even Bother To Bid For Reagan National Slots
http://www.forbes.com/sites/tedreed/2013/11/12/note-to-delta-and-united-dont-even-bother-to-bid-for-national-slots/?partner=yahootix

Reactions: 3 people
WorldTraveler said:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/tedreed/2013/11/12/note-to-delta-and-united-dont-even-bother-to-bid-for-national-slots/

Note To Delta And United: Don't Even Bother To Bid For Reagan National Slots

and how many articles have we said during this whole antitrust case which have said that the DOJ was incorrect in its assessment of the lawsuit from the beginning despite the fact that I and others said that there would be massive divestitures?

US does not want to divest 4 dozens flights/day to low cost carriers or the DCA hub is finished. If you can't grasp that concept, you truly don't understand the airline industry.

US doesn't want to admit that it was hoodwinked by DL with the slot deal but AA/US would FAR RATHER trade away a couple dozen slot pairs to DL for service to small and medium sized cities rather than allow them to fall in the hands of B6 or WN.

Note also that it was US' personnel who made the sweeping statements about the slots not ending up in the hands of DL or UA. The DOJ said the intents of where they want the slots to end up are known.... they said nothing about all of them going in the hands of low fare carriers.

The fact that DL specifically highlighted that they are going after the slots for service to small and medium sized cities highlights exactly what I have said all along and that is that the DOJ wants a significant number of slots to be used to serve small and medium sized cities, a task that low fare carriers are not equipped to do.

If you think I am wrong, let's check back in a couple months. I can guarantee you that DL will end up w/ slots from the DCA divestitures.

from that forbes article  the doj  bill buaer made clear that the low cost carriers....would get it    but should dl get it  they would serve the south and east which us does   but like us dl would most likely use rjs  

where in that statement does that say that?

Soon afterwards, on a conference call with reporters, Assistant Attorney General Bill Baer of the Department of Justice’s Antitrust Division was asked whether legacy carriers Delta and United would be eligible to bid for the National slots. “The (legal) papers make it pretty clear where we think those gates and slots ought to go,” Baer said.

Asked if Delta and United should even bother to apply, Baer responded: “That’s up to them.”

And it also doesn't change that if low cost carriers obtain several dozen slots at DCA, then AA/US' ability to operate there is greatly diminished.
Adding several dozen flights to DCA will without a doubt ensure that AA/US' operation at DCA will become the biggest money-loser on their system.

wt  the statement in the forbes article clearly states this...  BUT FEDERAL REGULATORS SAY DELTA AND UNITED NEED NOT APPLY...BECAUSE THEY WONT GET ANY.....    thats a clear statement to me

Latest posts