A tribute to PSA

PHL

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
If anyone saw Zodiac (Jake Gyllenhaal, Robert Downey Jr), you would have been pleased to see a little tribute to PSA. The movie takes place from the late 60's through the late 80's tracking the true story of the Zodiac killer. In one scene a PSA 727(?) was featured showing people boarding on the ramp to the front door and the rear stairway that comes down from the tail.

Interestingly, on board the flight attendant announced "Smoking is only permitted in the last 6 aisles of the aircarft". Shouldn't that have been the last 6 "ROWS"? That'd be a big widebody if there were 6 aisles.....

If anyone saw Zodiac (Jake Gyllenhaal, Robert Downey Jr), you would have been pleased to see a little tribute to PSA. The movie takes place from the late 60's through the late 80's tracking the true story of the Zodiac killer. In one scene a PSA 727(?) was featured showing people boarding on the ramp to the front door and the rear stairway that comes down from the tail.

Interestingly, on board the flight attendant announced "Smoking is only permitted in the last 6 aisles of the aircarft". Shouldn't that have been the last 6 "ROWS"? That'd be a big widebody if there were 6 aisles.....

Near the end of "Almost Famous" the main character's sister walks by and is in a PSA flight attendant uniform complete with all the lapel flare they used to wear. In the background a Eastern Airlines airbus taxi's by. A bygone era!

MM

I don't think PSA had 727's. Well I don't think they had any when US bought them.

Yes, I've seen a couple of movies that had Us aircraft in them. Lord the name of the movies elude me now.

I do miss the Smiley face. :D

I don't think PSA had 727's. Well I don't think they had any when US bought them.

Yes, I've seen a couple of movies that had Us aircraft in them. Lord the name of the movies elude me now.

PSA operated the B727 for many years. In fact, they sold about a dozen to Piedmont as they shifted to the quieter Super 80 and BAE146 fleet in the eighties. Some of those planes also flew as Eastern then Trump/USAir Shuttle birds.

Another great movie featuring PSA 727's and Pan American B707's is the classic 1968 Steve McQueen film "Bullitt". The foot chase scene at the end of the movie was filmed at SFO.

If you look closely in "Top Gun" you will see a PSA Super 80 fly by in the background as "Callsign Charlie" tries to talk "Maverick" out of leaving. Also in that movie you will see retired PSA/USAirways Captain (and real USN Admiral) Pete "Viper" Pettigrew meet Kelly McGillis in the Miramar Officers Club scene. He's the "old guy", and was the technical advisor for the shoot.

I think there was a USAir billboard in "Doc Hollywood."

PSA operated the B727 for many years. In fact, they sold about a dozen to Piedmont as they shifted to the quieter Super 80 and BAE146 fleet in the eighties. Some of those planes also flew as Eastern then Trump/USAir Shuttle birds.

Another great movie featuring PSA 727's and Pan American B707's is the classic 1968 Steve McQueen film "Bullitt". The foot chase scene at the end of the movie was filmed at SFO.

If you look closely in "Top Gun" you will see a PSA Super 80 fly by in the background as "Callsign Charlie" tries to talk "Maverick" out of leaving. Also in that movie you will see retired PSA/USAirways Captain (and real USN Admiral) Pete "Viper" Pettigrew meet Kelly McGillis in the Miramar Officers Club scene. He's the "old guy", and was the technical advisor for the shoot.

I think there was a USAir billboard in "Doc Hollywood."
Not that some of you care but.... The movie "When A Man Loves a Woman", Andy Garcia plays a 737 Captain for America West Airlines. This was the classic America West livery days. One of the last scenes in movie they filmed a scene on one of our 37's and Andy was at the controls taxiing.

The movie "Campus Man" had a scene filmed at the old extension gates at T3 in Phoenix, and Morgan Fairchild takes a ride on the "More Care Cart" to the gate.

I loved those carts, employees got to non-rev in the front seat. :up:

Bullitt...Steve McQueen ..

Old SFO Terminal..

Classic movie with the best car chase ever filmed.

Lived there..Worked there...Tons of old VW's in the movie.

Bugman in PA.

INCORRECT! PSA did have 727's.........and they may have flown both the -100 and -200 series. When Disney celebrated the 25th Anniv of Donald Duck, PSA had a commemorative paint scheme of Donald flying across the fuselage. Both US and Piedmont also brought 727s into the integrations. The 727 was a great a/c.

Other US planes in movieis:

Doc Hollywood - a 737-300 or -400 in the then new USAir navy colors at the end of the movie.
Die Hard II - I'm trying to remember correctly if there was a scene at Terminal E at the old DEN Stapleton airport that had a US 727
Planes, Trains, & Automobiles did indeed have a USAir plane in it, but I think it was a DC-9-30 in the old red colors.

I don't remember the name of the movie, but the made for TV movie about the Air Florida crash in DCA had lots of DCA footage and showed a BAC 1-11 in it.

Latest posts