A tribute to PSA

Planes Trains and Automobiles had an America West plane in it, kind of.

We had a well placed ad on a bench "The Sun Run" when they were at a train station in the freezing cold snow.

There was also Back to the Future II with the USAir to Vietnam advertisement. That was back with part of the Universal Studios partnership.

The movie "Dogma" was filmed in the C concourse in PIT and through the window you can see several USAir planes parked at the B concourse. The movie was somewhat controversial so all of the logos were electronically removed. But, you couldn’t mistake those black airplanes, it was obvious they were USAir airplanes.

US Airways had navy planes, never black.

You beat me to it with Back to the Future II, it's bizarre, why was it an ad for USAir with service to Vietnam? I guess in the distant future they figured USAir would fly there?

There's terrible movie with Sinbad (Houseguest, maybe?) with a lot of scenes in the PIT airport. "Wonder Boys" with Michael Douglas and pre-brainwash Katie Holmes has scenes of them walking through the US PIT terminal.

Legend has it if you slow down Madonna's "Ray of Light" video you see a US Airways 757 and an American Eagle Saab taking off at LAX.

US Airways had navy planes, never black.

You beat me to it with Back to the Future II, it's bizarre, why was it an ad for USAir with service to Vietnam? I guess in the distant future they figured USAir would fly there?

There's terrible movie with Sinbad (Houseguest, maybe?) with a lot of scenes in the PIT airport. "Wonder Boys" with Michael Douglas and pre-brainwash Katie Holmes has scenes of them walking through the US PIT terminal.

Legend has it if you slow down Madonna's "Ray of Light" video you see a US Airways 757 and an American Eagle Saab taking off at LAX.

Once the paint faded and the sun hit it just right, I could swear they looked black.

MM

Mostly 727-200, just a few of the 100's.
Read the book.........

The book is titled "Poor Sailor's Airline", BTW--an early nickname from when they carried a lot of Navy folk between San Diego and Oakland, both Navy towns.

As far as PSA's 727 fleet, they had the following (aside from short-term leases):
727-100: 13--8 new from Boeing and 5 used from NW. in service from 1965 to 83.
727-200: 31--all delivered new from Boeing. 5 of them were originally ordered by Mohawk but sold to PSA before delivery. In service 1968--84.

As the tarmac/runway SFO scenes in "Bullitt" were probably shot in late 1967 or very early 68, the PSA 727-200 that is featured prominently in it was most likely their first of the type (N528Ps) just delivered and not yet in service when the scenes were filmed. Notice how new and shiny it looks!

Back in the 80's....The Go Go's Vacation video features a USAir 727 (orange/red logo) landing overhead....cool shot! :up: