A350 Jet Plans

robbedagain said:
ok thanks. PS I have been on the 321 once with a window seat and it isnt bad at all. Is the acuator the part that actually moves the rudder?
[post="309626"][/post]​

It does in fact produce the commanded movement. Or in this case of the rudder...deflection.

EyeInTheSky said:
A lot of the problems between US Airways and Boeing stem back from the 427 crash. Boeing treated this airline horribly, ask the suits and ask the guys that stock the parts.
[post="309596"][/post]​

Now that makes no sense. The Airbus arrived on company property because of Wolf.. No other reason.

The smart play would have been to buy the 737NG, 767-300. You get the full range of product line for U's needs.. The fleet would have been 737-300/400/700/800 and the 767-300. Two fleet types. Dump everything else.. That was the smart play.. Very little learning curve for both pilots and technicians..

Instead we embarked on the great Airbus Transaction.. 400 planes.. Everyone knew it would never happen.. We ended up in worse shape because of it. It was a fools move managed by a fool at the helm..

Not putting down the Airbus product.. Its a fine aircraft.. Problem is we were a Boeing airline with Boeings out the butt.. The 427 crash was a blip on the radar.
The real pain was the 8 757's and the cancellation of the remaining 737's.. That was the big nail in the coffin..

robbedagain said:
can the new US get a better relationship with Boeing

The current A350 contract has a 787 performance match in it. They can switch to Boeing if the A350 doesn't cut it.
As a side note when the concept of a common fleet type comes up Doug Parker has said that after a certian fleet size the commonality benefit shrinks and you lose the abilty to always shop for the best deal on any particular order. Any chance SWA is gonna ditch Boeing for a 100 airbuses? No and Boeing knows that.
With the 737s getting older first I would bet they would like to go Boeing for the next big AC deal but it will come down to price as it usualy does.

traderjake said:
Boeing killed 132 people on Flight 427 by using a faulty hydraulic rudder actuator and not having a backup actuator. They then tried blame USAirways for the accident. If it wasn't for USairways pilot John Cox the truth would have never come out. Anyone can make a mistake but then to lie about it is unconscionable.

I hope Boeing never gets another dime of our money.

P.S. Have you ever sat in the middle seat of a 757 for five hours? It's a miserable experience. I'll take the Airbus 321 any day.
[post="309607"][/post]​

The A319 and the A320, wonderful aircraft, do a great job. The A321, its a pig with wings!!

How many 757s and 737s were cancelled after the crash ?
i think Boeing planes are awesome, as well as the Airbuses, alkl boeings are unique, look at the 737 and compare it to 757, 2 different designs, the 757 is one aweome aircraft, one that will never get old, the design of the 757 isold yet complex and advanced, even the 767-200ER, that is one nice plane as well.

My dad as a MX says that Airbus planes are nice , but are disposable, not durable and strong like the boeings.

I hope US can do something withi Boeing again.
also were AWA 757s all used or they ever bought any brand new ?
thanks

Phantom Fixer said:
Leave it to USAirways to jump in the sack with Airbus....when many other US Airlines are going Boeing in favor of the 787.

Many do not understand how bad an idea it is to go against the tide in regards to keeping aircraft flying

U has a history of flying odd-ball fleet types...that are or will become difficult to support. Airbus is no gem in regards to providing support in this country...and inter-dependence between carriers is all to often the only option to keep a given plane flying.

Hmmm, here are a few examples of Acft that U has had or have...that are hard to support...cuz few other US Airlines fly them..or flew them.

(1) A330-300.....NW only has a handfull of them...and its tough to support
(2) A321....other than Spirit and Air Jamaica we are solely dependent on Airbus..and they are dependent on US. The A321 presents just enough differences between itself and the remainder of the A320 family , to make itself a monumental pain in the arse. We should have opted for more B757's for a zillion reasons.
(3) F-100...with AA and the former Midway being the only other options beyond Fokker in AMS....plus it noted shortcomings , its spells DOG in many ways.
(4) F-28...pretty much the same as the F-100

Sure...everything has its share of pluses and minuses....but a carrier that still in an uphill fight , does not need to saddle itself with added problems...and being the first kid on the block with a new toy is not always the brightest idea.

Noting that AC is going with the 787 after a lengthy run with Airbus tell me something...and it should be painting a picture that others need to look at with very trained eyes.
[post="309591"][/post]​
What about our new partners, ACE Holdings, aka Air Canada? They have a fleet of 340's and 330's. They also have the 319, 320, and 321.

True
they are after all CANADA
they have to have something of their French counterparts LOL

Phantom Fixer said:
Next....427's problem was not Boeing itself.   The maker of the defective item was Parker-Hannifan.  After all was said and done...and all the affected Acft were re-fitted...No further problems have taken place.  Sure....427 was an aweful ordeal for all involved....but the 737 still reigns as the largest numerically produced Acft in commercial aviation history....and with such large numbers , eventually something is going to happen.  The odds support this.

[post="309622"][/post]​

Parker-Hannifan made the actuator and Boeing made the decision to put only one full time actuator on the 737 instead of two. (It has a Standby Actuator for use in the event of a hydraulic failure).

Will the crew's that fly the A330 be rated to fly the A350 without any more training?

MOC A320 said:
Will the crew's that fly the A330 be rated to fly the A350 without any more training?
[post="309716"][/post]​

Doubtful. The A350 will probably be a different type rating from the A330.

But there will probably be a "short course" transition as opposed to the whole 5-6 weeks of training for a new aircraft.

After flying the A320 for several years, the A330 school was a true snoozer. Except for systems differences, any A320 pilot could easily sit in the cockpit of the A330 and fly it flawlessly. (Not legally, mind you.) The aircraft handle almost identically and the procedures are nearly identical, also. This is the beauty of the Airbus fleet: commonality across types. I imagine the A350 will carry this concept forward, also.

I have over 6000 hours flying 737's. The 757 and 767, I found, are totally different animals from the 737. Almost nothing in common except the name Boeing. I suspect the 777 is just as different from the 767 as it is from the 737 and the 747 for that matter. In fact, the 747-400 is totally different from the 747-200. Boeing has no consistency in design. I'll wager that the 787 cockpit will be nearly unrecognizable to a 777 pilot.

nycbusdriver said:

But there will probably be a "short course" transition as opposed to the whole 5-6 weeks of training for a new aircraft.

After flying the A320 for several years, the A330 school was a true snoozer. Except for systems differences, any A320 pilot could easily sit in the cockpit of the A330 and fly it flawlessly. (Not legally, mind you.) The aircraft handle almost identically and the procedures are nearly identical, also. This is the beauty of the Airbus fleet: commonality across types. I imagine the A350 will carry this concept forward, also.

I have over 6000 hours flying 737's. The 757 and 767, I found, are totally different animals from the 737. Almost nothing in common except the name Boeing. I suspect the 777 is just as different from the 767 as it is from the 737 and the 747 for that matter. In fact, the 747-400 is totally different from the 747-200. Boeing has no consistency in design. I'll wager that the 787 cockpit will be nearly unrecognizable to a 777 pilot.
[post="309758"][/post]​

Thanks for the info.

Boeing is supposedly trying to make the 787 like the 777. DL is trying to get their 767-400 and 777 made the same type rating.

nycbusdriver said:

[post="309758"][/post]​
The A350 is slated to have a common type-rating with the A330. Differences training, only, would be necessary. (similar to the 757/767 type)