AA-bay area to London?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AC AA LA FA

Veteran
Aug 21, 2002
mars
www.usaviation.com
This has been the buzz around the bay at AA, and told by AA Flight Service Manager..himself..that AA has allocated a 777 for what I think will be SJC-LHR..(poss. SFO)something about a frequency being pulled from LAX...I beleive this is more than a rumor..anyone heard anything on this?

[blockquote]
----------------
On 10/14/2002 3:27:53 AM AC AA LA FA wrote:

This has been the buzz around the bay at AA, and told by AA Flight Service Manager..himself..that AA has allocated a 777 for what I think will be SJC-LHR..(poss. SFO)something about a frequency being pulled from LAX...I beleive this is more than a rumor..anyone heard anything on this?
----------------
[/blockquote]

Can't happen. San Francisco is a 3 airline gateway. Only two UK and one US airline can serve the San Francisco-London market, which is presently the case (UA, BA, VS). Also, San Jose is not a designated London gateway (from either LGW or LHR). The 3 airline gateway problem is also preventing United Airlines is not flying Miami-London, a route they would really like to serve.

Also, San Francsico has been one of the hardest, if not the hardest, hit airline markets this past year (along with Boston). IMO, it would not be wise for AA to enter the San Francisco (SFO or SJC)-London market. If they really want to move slots around, just make this winter's second MIA-LHR flight (which is using an ORD-LHR slot) year-round.

At one time about 1986, EAstern for a brief time flew Miami to LGW with Pan AM and BA each flying one 747 daily to LHR. Virgin then joined in and flew LGW to MIA as its second USA gateway. Air Florida also flew in the early 1980's MIA to LGW. Recently ORD-LHR was served with Virgin as the 4th airline along with UA,AA and BA. BOS also has the same four airlines to LHR. LAX, JFK, EWR, also have the four.

Mark I have been a meticulous follower of US - UK air routes and I have never heard of the 3 airline rule. While there are some markets served by 3 like SFO,MIA(today) and IAD, I find the number 2 or 4 airlines serving a route more common. Think of all the big domestic hub cities ATL, DFW, IAH, CLT, and PHL, these have 2 airlines to London. I would appreciate some more imfo on the 3 airline rule.

The 3 airline rule does not apply to Chicago, Los Angeles, New York City, and Boston, as they are much larger markets, and it only applies to the four Heathrow airlines (BTW, United ends Boston-London 28 October and British Airways ends Charlotte the same day). It's best briefed here:

h) Each country may designate only TWO routes on which TWO of its carriers may compete. Every remaining route must have only one carrier from each side. However, if the number of passengers carried TOTALLY on the route (including traffic carried by fifth freedom carriers Air India, Air New Zealand and Kuwait Airways) exceeds 600,000 in two consecutive years, or if the number of passengers carried by any single airline exceeds 450,000 for two consecutive years, then each side may designate an additional airline to serve the route.

However, not even that part fully explains it. But simply put, only one US carrier can serve San Francisco-Heathrow, as well as Miami-Heathrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back